What's new

Web Hosting?

Ok, this one is for my fellow techies. It is really geared towards those of you that have your own website. Im looking to switch hosting providers and looking for some suggestions.

I am currently hosting with:

Mediatemple - and its been rather slow there lately. Sometimes my website takes a rather long time to respond. :mad3:

Previously I have hosted with:

Host Gator
Godaddy
JaguarPC

I prefer not to go back to any of these hosting companies... So, I am looking for a reliable hosting account that can handle about 6 websites with ease. The mySql DB must be quick and responsive (I think thats the problem with MediaTemple).

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I was with Dreamhost for several years before I stopped needing webhosting, and they were fantastic. The bandwidth and storage kept increasing each month while the price stayed the same, and they have a great referral program if you have any friends interested in the same thing. I'd highly recommend them.

I had some bad luck with a few servers there. I too was there for about 7+ years. It seemed latency and downtime seemed to plague me. I had them move me and the server move became even more unstable. On a side note I do have a VPS with them still. I use it to run some client sites & one of my bigger websites. Id prefer not to mix business with personal in regards to hosting otherwise I would pop them on the VPS.

Take a look at http://www.asmallorange.com their cheapest setup is $25/yr. I've used them a few times before and our company site is hosted by them now.

I've also tried https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/ which is a pay-what-you-use schedule, it can be the cheapest way to go if you have a low traffic site. If it's moderate-high you'll be paying out the nose.

I think across the board, SQL response time is going to suffer for any host that you don't have a dedicated server on (i.e., opt for the "shared" plans).

Thanks, I hear that... at MediaTemple I have a couple accts. One is a grid based acct. Wow is it slow. The other is a VPS (where my sites are hosted at the moment), its one we used to use at work. But no longer utilize. So I popped my sites on their as a stopgap measure. I dont plan on staying there very long. Just until I find a new home for my sites. Its not horrible but its not great either. Ill check out the recommendations you all have added in the next day or so.

If anyone has any others feel free to interject...

Top Bottom