What's new

Mouthwash as Aftershave ???

I'm sure it happened to many of you. You get yourself prepared for shaving ritual: lather - check, razor - check, blade - check, aftershave - ... F@#%

Faced with this situation my options were limited. None of my wife's stuff could do the job, no vodka in the bar, generally speaking - disaster.

But wait. There's the mouthwash (the cheapest from W-M). I stopped using it after reading this article.

I thought - "What the hell, it can't be worse than skin lotion". When I applied it there was NO BURN, and overall experience was just outstanding. I was using Nivea before I ran out. I should point out that I wasn't fully satisfied with any of the aftershaves that I've tried. I had to shave every 2-3 days to allow full skin recovery. Now, I've been using it (combined with Nivea skin moisturizer) for last three days, shaving everyday and it has been awsome. Now I'm hesitating to go and buy the aftershave.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Hubert

It doesn't seem to be that bad (my wife didn't notice). I don't plan to use it till the end of my life. On the other hand, my skin likes it so much. I'm torn :confused: :lol:

+1 and why not just spend a few more bucks and get something that's actually made for your skin not your mouth.

I don't think the money is the issue but rather the sensitivity after shaving

so if it works for you stick with it. I would take scientific studies like that with a grain of salt until something conclusive is said. Over the years there has been many studies saying caffeine is bad then it is good then bad again.

is this also functioning as a refreshing skin cleanser and astringent -with the alcohol / (mint?) / (cloves?), or does it feel a bit tacky/thick once dried?

My thoughts? First, mouthwash as aftershave isn't that radical of an idea. Aqua Velva was marketed as both at one time if I am recalling things correctly. Second, that article? The science looks faulty at best to me. I mean take that quote taken from the original article published in the Australian Dental Journal

[Alcohol] increases the permeability of the mucosa to other carcinogens like nicotine," explains Professor McCullough. "But also the first breakdown product of alcohol with enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase is acetaldehyde. And acetaldehyde is a known human carcinogen.

The first thing wrong with it is that is makes it sound like the alcohol in mouthwash is instantaneously convert to acetaldehyde on the spot. What this McCullough neglects to mention is that alcohol is mostly metabolized in the liver by these enzymes. Second, although I haven't read the original paper, it would seem to me that these researchers forgot that correlation does not equal causation. It can sometimes, but never always.

In short, I think the article is nothing short of sensationalistic nonsense.

i once used mouthwash to treat a cut on my foot while traveling

i was 15

although my roommates thought the result was hilarious, i wouldn't recommend it

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's interesting. I would think that mouthwash would make your skin 'sticky' when it dries...

I just honestly don't know why you would.
Putting mouthwash on my face sounds like a bad idea, becasue it doesn't offer any healing/moisterizing properties.
And I use my alcohol based AS's for the scent.

Which, I guess you'd use mouthwash for..
I won't do it, but if you like the scent of mouthwash..for a cologne type smell..then go for it I guess.

Top Bottom