What's new

Size for first straight razor

Hey Gang. I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting a straight. I'm wondering what size I should go with? I have a goatee on the chin but no mustache. I'd like to stay under $200. Also, what else am I gonna need? Strop, paste, etc? Been using a Merkur D.E. with very nice results but I'd like give straights a go.
Thanks!

Go onto the B/S/T and find say a 5/8th razor that appeals to you and get that. It should be a decent price and shave-ready. Grab a strop from Tony Miller or one From KenRup. Thats all you need to start up, have fun :biggrin:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 to Dave,

You could always go a bit bigger. I prefer heavier/bigger razors but that's only a preference. 5/8 will be the easiest razor to find!

Well size is more of a preference than anything, but you'll probably have the easiest time finding a 5/8 or something close to that.

L

Lo'Tek

My first straight was a Filarmonica 7/8.

I'm a musician, and people like to say that if you can play a cheap piece of junk, you will be amazing later on a quality instrument. They like to point to Eddy Van Halen's first Frankenstein guitar. The problem with this is that Eddy's guitar had quality body & neck; then he completely rewired it and customized it until he was playing a finely tuned monster. Bad instruments impede advancement. The same is true for a razor.

All this said, I agree that size is a personal preference, but don't sell yourself short on quality. I was happy to learn later that the Filly's are now considered one of the better shavers out there, so from the start all my str8 experiences have been wonderful. But if you have a mustache or other facial hair as you stated, if I may make a recommendation, a square point or Spanish point will detail around your facial hair better. I like to grow a Hoarse Shoe from time to time and they can be difficult to detail without cutting off too much. You can't see where the tip is as good with a round point. Further, some persons like narrow blades better for sharp jaw lines & the Adam's Apple. Others like the weight of the heavier, wider blades which take less effort. Personally I like the wider blades, and the more expensive pro blades are often just that. That should say something - there must be a good reason for this.

I would also go 5/8, 6/8, or 11/16 in a round point. Not big, not small, and the round point will be helpfull. For under 200 bucks you could get a pretty good setup.

Top Bottom