What's new

dumb newbie question

How do you guys safely dispose of blades? I'm concerned about just dropping the in a garbage bag.

I picked up a few blade banks from West Coast Shaving. They are only a buck so I tack one onto every order. The idea is just to place your blade in the bank and when it's full recycle the whole thing.

How do you guys safely dispose of blades? I'm concerned about just dropping the in a garbage bag.

:eek: DON'T just drop em in the garbage, even wrapped in paper they are still dangerous, buy or make a blade bank, there are some good threads here about making your own from soup cans, plastic water bottles etc., that way you have time to get rid of a few months supply of used blades safely all at once :rolleyes:

I made a blade bank out of a can that once held broth.

Here what I did and I got the idea from a poster named Leisure Guy.

Punch two holes in top of the can and drain the contents. Rinse it out and let dry. When dry flip the can over so the bottom becomes the top. Cut a groove on the side near the new top with a hack saw blade or Dremel tool. This groove is where you slide in the used blades.

If you like you can paint it. It holds lots of old blades safely. When you have filled it (you have years to go here), just give the top a whack with a hammer to close off the groove. You can then safely throw it out or recycle it.

Easy and effective.

You can also buy a blade bank from Lee's Razors.

Or you can do the only slightly irresponsible thing that I do.

My 44 year old house has a used blade slot in the back wall of the medicine cabinet. When I put a blade in, I hear it tumble down between the walls.

I figure I'm good for several centuries.

- Chris

G

gone down south

I just toss them in the recycling, there are plenty of other sharp jagged edges in there and I know they take good precautions in the sorting facility.

I made a blade bank out of a pop can. Punched a hole in the bottom with an awl, used a dremel to cut a slot in the top. Voila.

"There are no dumb questions, only dumb people."

-Anonymous

OH, and to answer your question, which is not a dumb question anyway, is that you do not want to just throw them away, and with everything else shaving, you can go as cheap or expensive as you wish.

Me, I used an Aqua Velva box, cut a slit in the top, and it will hold a few years worth of blades...

You can also search for free sharps containers online, if you don't mind the relatively large amount of space they take up.

I made a gatoraide bottle into a bank by cutting a slot in the top. Great as it hides nicely under the sink and can hold quite a few.

Or you can do the only slightly irresponsible thing that I do.

My 44 year old house has a used blade slot in the back wall of the medicine cabinet. When I put a blade in, I hear it tumble down between the walls.

I figure I'm good for several centuries.

- Chris

Did a tear out on a bathroom wall a few years ago and I found a lot of blades inside the wall. picked them up with the shop vac and then I dumped them into a coffee can that I had in my van. An older gentleman that I worked with told me that's how blades were disposed of in the old days.

Clayton

Top Bottom