What's new

Can someone explain polarized lenses?

No sir, we have stock finished lenses with the 3M coating, but we can't apply their coating to our lenses we surface in-house. We send them out. Our lab is small, and we have no in-house A/R machine. So if we don't have your prescription in our stock lenses, or you need multifocals, we'd have to send them out if you want A/R.

Cool, I could just tell you had more information/better understanding than many. I knew you must be in the business somehow.

There are three different things at play here. Polarization, A/R(anti-reflective or non-glare), and UV protection. Polarization, as has already been defined above, blocks waves not aligned with the filter, thus providing the wearer with clearer, crisper, less visually 'noisy' images. This is an internal feature in the lens. A/R coatings are applied externally, generally just to the back side, to reduce glare on the back of the lens coming in from behind or from the side. There are different brands of A/R with different prices, some combined with scratch and smudge resistance. Some of these, such as 3M's Scotchgard A/R, are proprietary and can only be applied by licensed labs thus demanding higher prices. The percentages advertised with lenses refers to UV protection. Nothing comes out of our lab with less than 96% of UV blocked. We test every lens individually as part of our QC. Polarized lenses, because they filter ALL incoming waves, genrally block more UV as well. For example, our polycarbonate lenses genrally block 97% of UV transmission, while the polarized lenses block 99%.

So are you saying that to your knowledge, there are no manufacturers out there (Ray Ban, specifically) that utilize a spray-on polarization process or "coating"?

So are you saying that to your knowledge, there are no manufacturers out there (Ray Ban, specifically) that utilize a spray-on polarization process or "coating"?

As far as I know, no. But I will ask. I don't see how it would be possible or practical when the current internal film technology is so effective and inexpensive. Ray-Ban is owned by the company for which I work. They offer a few A/R and scratch/smudge resistant coatings. I suspect the most expensive is on their new P 3 and P 3Plus lenses. According to their ad info:

P 3 and P 3Plus lenses are the highest quality level of Polarized lenses, equipped with anti-reflective and hydro-oleophobic coatings. And the P3Plus lenses add a high-color enhancement(available only on new Tech Collection, Craft Collection and Ultra Limited Edition).

btw: hydro-oleophobic means the coating repels water and oil

Last edited:
As far as I know, no. But I will ask. I don't see how it would be possible or practical when the current internal film technology is so effective and inexpensive. Ray-Ban is owned by the company for which I work. They offer a few A/R and scratch/smudge resistant coatings. I suspect the most expensive is on their new P 3 and P 3Plus lenses. According to their ad info:

P 3 and P 3Plus lenses are the highest quality level of Polarized lenses, equipped with anti-reflective and hydro-oleophobic coatings. And the P3Plus lenses add a high-color enhancement(available only on new Tech Collection, Craft Collection and Ultra Limited Edition).

btw: hydro-oleophobic means the coating repels water and oil

Thanks. This whole subject has me interested. The limited research I've done on the internet refers to two different types of polarization that would seem to indicate that there are some lenses that are treated by a spray on coating that is different from the internally layered polarization.

I hear occasionally that people get headaches from using polarized sunglasses. Anyone else hear this or experience this?

The people that get the headaches only get them with certain polarized lenses and not others which is confusing.

I was also at a store that sold Costa Del Mar and the store associate said that some people complain that Costa's polarized lens give them headaches.

if you want beach/fishing glasses best glasses to cut glare is costa del mar. I have polarized oakleys i got them cheap if not i wouldve gone with the costas. Cheaper glasses have cheaper lens.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A little anecdote.

I live in Pasadena CA at the foothills of the San Gabriel mountains. At the moment there is a wildfire raging. As I was driving north towards home today, I saw the smoke and clouds over the mountains. As devastating as it is, I couldn't help but notice the beauty of it. The heavy, thick smoke looked like a painting. It was made up of different shades of brown, orange and gold. From the top of the main mass there was huge white cloud. And towards the sides, it changed from the gold, orange-brown to different shades of gray, from light gray to steel gray, like heavy storm clouds. All of this against a backdrop of light blue sky. I know people throw the word "surreal" around a lot, but in this case it fits perfectly... it was like a painting, it didn't seem real at all, and it was beautiful.

I took my sunglasses off (Persols with gray polarized lenses) to take a better look, and as soon as I did that, the beautiful painting was gone. It still looked heavy, but gone were the golds and oranges, bright yellows and the sharp contrasts. Now it was just a big mass of different shades of dirty grayish browns.

Just an illustration of how polarized lenses can make such a huge difference.

I've had that experience before. :bored:

Such a bummer, driving along on vacation, seeing such great scenery, stopping to take a photo of the great sunset or whatever, taking off the sunglasses ... meh. :huh:

Perhaps there's a similar polarised filter one can pop onto one's camera?

They also sell them as fishing glasses allowing you to see deeper into the water.

If you take polarized sunglasses and rotate them you will see the effect change.

Most camera filters are designed to rotate to increase or decrease the degree of polarization depending on the effect you want. Usually polarization increases contrast so blue sky is much darker and clouds are much whiter. The effect can be dramatic.

The bad part of polarized lenses happens while driving. When I look through ther rearview mirror I can see the tint on the back window. That is one way to check if your lenses are polarized.

I had an expensive pair of polarized sunglasses from The Bon Ton years ago. Wore them to Ocean City, was standing on a rock by water on the beach and a big wave smacked me, knocked me back about 15 feet and stripped the coating off my lenses! :closedeye

That was the last time I bought a pricey pair of glasses...now I spend $10-15 and treat them as disposable...because sunglasses of any price seem to end up being disposable anyways.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I never bought expensive sunglasses before, but last year my fiancee who works for her dad and uncle who are optometrists and loves her sunglasses (and buying new ones) bought me a pair of Maui Jims with the brown lenses and I have to say they are amazing. I am pretty sensitive to bright light, so I wear them everyday. I times I notice the biggest difference is when I am driving. They cut the glare so well and reduce eye fatigue.

Top Bottom