Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tip for cleaning your watch

Default A tip for cleaning your watch

I imagine many of you own a metal-link banded watch like this one

(which just so happens to be my watch)

Now over time gunk builds up in between the links and around the face. I have an excellent way to clean it. I was taught this by a jeweler and figured I should pass it along. It sounds kinda gross, but when you're done with a toothbrush after your last brushing with it use it to clean the watch, toothpastey-saliva and all. I usually even add whatever is in my mouth to the watch. It really really cleans it nice. I've used straight up toothpaste to remove scratches and paint marks on the face of my watch and mp3 players (not touch screen ones) but it's fairly abrasive. By diluting and foaming it up in your mouth you make a safe cleaner and polisher for your watch. I'd imagine it'd work for a razor too.

Try it and see if your not impressed. I'd be cautious with gold-plated watches... I just haven't tried it on those.
    - Greg

Straight is great.

Thumbs up

Great method, i was just going to recommend doing that but didn't realize you weren't asking how others clean their watches but giving suggestions on how to.
    -Matt-

Quote Originally Posted by gregorykicks View Post
    it's fairly abrasive
    Does that not defeat the purpose? It would seem that you will replace dirt with scratches.

I clean my watches with warm water and hand soap.
    Matthew | QueenCharlotteSoaps.com - Handmade hand & body soap, shampoo bars, tallow shaving cream and soap, aftershave balm, and much more

Talking

I use toothpaste on an old brush to clean grimy DE razors

An electric one is brilliant btw (any cheapie will do)

Should works great on watches as well, but I've only used soap with those until now

Toothbrush and Liquid Soap has been my choice for years. No problems thus far

Quote Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post
    Does that not defeat the purpose? It would seem that you will replace dirt with scratches.

Yeah that's why I use the "diluted" toothpaste to clean with not the straight toothpaste I use to remove scratches. It's just abraisive enough to polish and not scratch.
    - Greg

Straight is great.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post

Same here. If it's really dirty, I remove the movement and soak the bracelet for a few hours in dish soap. I then use a toothbrush between the links.

I will also shower with my watch and wash it with hand soap. I like doing this when I go to the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Same here. If it's really dirty, I remove the movement and soak the bracelet for a few hours in dish soap. I then use a toothbrush between the links.

I will also shower with my watch and wash it with hand soap. I like doing this when I go to the beach.
    When going to the beach, it is definite must. Nothing will make you more angry than to discover rust on your watch from the sea salt.

I am too afraid to take my watches apart
    Matthew | QueenCharlotteSoaps.com - Handmade hand & body soap, shampoo bars, tallow shaving cream and soap, aftershave balm, and much more

I generally chuck mine in the ultrasonic with hot water and a little dish soap. Works like a charm.
    Paul
    DE:
    '07 Single Ring Old Type, '21-'29 Gold Old Type Ball End Handle, '28 New Standard Gold, Gold NEW Ball End Handle(long teeth), Gold NEW Common Bar Handle(short teeth), NDC Gold Tech(3), '59(E2) Red Tip
    SE:
    GEM Micromatic Open Comb Antenna Handle, Schick G1(2), Schick G8, Rolls Razor Imperial No.2(5), Rolls Razor Viscount(3)
    Straights:
    A. White CopperHead 6/8, D. Peres 5/8, Hamburg No. 49 6/8, Wade & Butcher 6/8, German Cutlery Co. 5/8, Wosty Pipe 5/8 wedge

I just shower with mine once or twice a month and that seems to keep it clean.

I've actually never cleaned my watch....come to think of it, that's pretty gross.
    - Dave

Just watch the water resistance if your going to run water all over it. Also an ultra sonic is great for the bracelet but a big no no for a watch even if its a 1000m dive watch.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulX608 View Post
    I generally chuck mine in the ultrasonic with hot water and a little dish soap. Works like a charm.
    I take the bracelet off and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner, but never the watch itself....
    "[I]You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. [/I]"
    Abraham Lincoln

Paid $80 for the watch 5 years ago, been tossing it whole into the ultrasonic regularly the whole time. If it wrecks it at some point, I'll get another. Seems fine so far.
    Paul
    DE:
    '07 Single Ring Old Type, '21-'29 Gold Old Type Ball End Handle, '28 New Standard Gold, Gold NEW Ball End Handle(long teeth), Gold NEW Common Bar Handle(short teeth), NDC Gold Tech(3), '59(E2) Red Tip
    SE:
    GEM Micromatic Open Comb Antenna Handle, Schick G1(2), Schick G8, Rolls Razor Imperial No.2(5), Rolls Razor Viscount(3)
    Straights:
    A. White CopperHead 6/8, D. Peres 5/8, Hamburg No. 49 6/8, Wade & Butcher 6/8, German Cutlery Co. 5/8, Wosty Pipe 5/8 wedge

A little 409 and a toothbrush works for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I will also shower with my watch and wash it with hand soap.
    That is the only way that I have cleaned a watch. Just be sure that the watch is rated for a few feet of water depth and you don't have to worry about it. I like to take the watch off and let the band dry completely afterwards, otherwise it starts to smell from being wet for a long time.
    ~Jon~
    BBS Challenged

Member of the B&B 2011 Rudy Vey custom Brush Buy
    I gave to Soap For Hope
    I survived the 2011 B&B Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by PaulX608 View Post
    I was actually going to post that idea as a joke - does the watch really survive? I am amazed, I'd never have the guts to put a watch in an ultrasonic! I'm too lazy to unpin the bracelet. I just scrub the band once in a while when it starts to look bad. Crud seems to build up in the latches on some bracelets.

As I read on , I see that it does survive - amazing!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by blantyre View Post
    I was actually going to post that idea as a joke - does the watch really survive? I am amazed, I'd never have the guts to put a watch in an ultrasonic! I'm too lazy to unpin the bracelet. I just scrub the band once in a while when it starts to look bad. Crud seems to build up in the latches on some bracelets.

As I read on , I see that it does survive - amazing!
    Here it is, running like the day I got it.

It's seen likely 2 to 3 hours of ultrasonic time over the past few years. Hot water and a little dish soap, comes out looking fantastic. I usually only do it for 2 minutes, then brush, then another quick buzz to remove what the brush loosened, then rinse and dry.
    Paul
    DE:
    SE:
    Straights:

I just leave all the gunk, adds character

Really though, great advice, will have to remember next time my watches need cleaning.
    Kyle

The problem is even dive watches have sealing systems that are not designed to deal with ultrasonics and even using soap can penetrate the seals on watches with less than 200m water resistance.

The fact is with a cheaper watch they can take a lot of abuse and survive while a multi thousand dollar watch will not. Sometimes you get away with it and then one day it stops and you open it and its full of rust. If its a cheap watch and you got years of use its no problem but if its not and you need to spend hundreds on a repair that's another issue.