What's new

Alum Block vs Styptic Pencil

Alum Block or Styptic Pencil

• Alum Block

• Styptic Pencil

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi Gang,

You know right after I finish shaving, I'm always getting cuts bleeding from too much presure arcoss the grain on my both necks or one of the necks.

When I using my Art of Shaving Alum Block to stop bleeding but not really. I use to have Styptic Pencil to step the bleeding but it works. I was thinking going back using styptic Pencil and use it again.

What do you use Alum Block or Styptic Pencil and what brand do you use?

Take a vote.

Chris A.:001_smile

I use both actually. Styptic pencil for nicks. Its the clubman variety. I use the alum when I am little rough on the skin, I rub it all over the areas I shaved. The alum is a no name indian brand from the local indian grocery store.

I use both actually. Styptic pencil for nicks. Its the clubman variety. I use the alum when I am little rough on the skin, I rub it all over the areas I shaved. The alum is a no name indian brand from the local indian grocery store.

+1 to both, and +1 to the brands too. The brand of alum that I found in the Indian grocery is "Hero", and it set me back all of $0.99.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I get nicks or cuts so rarely that, at least to me, an alum block seems like overkill. I do have a styptic in my travel kit and my home, both Clubman brand. Small one for travel, HUGE one for home.

I've never used an alum block. I have used my styptic pen once when I nicked my neck. It did burn and that was motivation enough for me to be careful.

+1 to both, and +1 to the brands too. The brand of alum that I found in the Indian grocery is "Hero", and it set me back all of $0.99.

My brand was G E O R G E and I got ripped at my Indian grocery store. $1.99... peh. But I'm happy with the alum block (it's got impurities though, is this normal? small black particles throughout.)

I've even started using the non-face side for my underarms. LOVE IT. No funky "help, i can't do the work anymore" smell from antiperspirant at the end of the day. I still smell like soap! Plus I get to sweat again!

There's a reason alum blocks don't burn as much as styptics. They aren't as good at stopping bleeding. Pencils have more salt in them. I haven't tried a block yet, but every now and again I call upon the styptic.

I have both, rarely use either, but both have their uses. I've found alum is completely worthless for stopping blood from a real cut. Styptic works really well for that. On the other hand, if I have a little razor burn on my neck the alum block works pretty good.

My brand was G E O R G E and I got ripped at my Indian grocery store. $1.99... peh. But I'm happy with the alum block (it's got impurities though, is this normal? small black particles throughout.)/QUOTE]

Danny, although mine is pretty pure looking, I'd imagine that, due to this being a "natural" product, small impurities are to be expected and will not affect the overall effectiveness. Just my opinion, and as always, YMMV...

Hey, may we all get "ripped off" for a mere extra buck on our shave purchaces!

I have both, but use them for completely different things - I always alum after a shave, and the occasional minor abrasion or weeper is usually closed up already by that point, but the alum will get it if not. I have only used my styptic a couple of tiimes, because I've only ever had a few nicks...neither were major bloodlettings, but, stuff happens (I turned my head to look at my wife in the doorway one time, I shaved a bump off another, etc.). The Styptic is only used to stop bleeding, not for general astringent or soothing.

There's a reason alum blocks don't burn as much as styptics. They aren't as good at stopping bleeding. Pencils have more salt in them. I haven't tried a block yet, but every now and again I call upon the styptic.

Kratos, I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but alum is a type of salt. If anything styptic pencils have less active salt in them because they mostly contain a mixture of aluminum sulfate, which is the salt that is responsible for stopping bleeding, and titanium dioxide, which is an oxide salt basically used as a filler and binder.

Really the reason why there is a difference in both the amount of stinging and how well each works is the fact both alum and styptic use different chemical salts to stop bleeding. Alum blocks contain some sort of alum, with those sold for the purpose of shaving being composed of potassium alum. The active ingredient in styptic pencils happens to be aluminum sulfate, or on occasion, potassium aluminum sulfate. Now all of these chemicals are very much related, which accounts for their similar properties, but also accounts for their differences in the amount of stinging as well.

I use my alum block more as a 'toner' after shaving. I tend to use it a couple of days each week instead of witch hazel.
It's useful for small weepers whereas I've only had to use my styptic pencil once and that was due to a deep nick from a straight.
They styptic did it's job on that cut but the alum would not.

Proraso have a gel for treating nicks and cuts, just the smallest dab seals it
and I find I use this more than either for not only shaving cuts/weepers but
on spots/pimples/bites/ingrown hairs.

But alum and styptic are the same...My styptic pencil contains aluminium sulphate and talc. What is the difference?

I don't use either. I like the Pacific Shaving Co. Nick Stick, which is a roll-on liquid styptic. I bought it at a chain drug store (Harmon Drugs) for about $6.

Kratos, I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but alum is a type of salt. If anything styptic pencils have less active salt in them because they mostly contain a mixture of aluminum sulfate, which is the salt that is responsible for stopping bleeding, and titanium dioxide, which is an oxide salt basically used as a filler and binder.
Really the reason why there is a difference in both the amount of stinging and how well each works is the fact both alum and styptic use different chemical salts to stop bleeding. Alum blocks contain some sort of alum, with those sold for the purpose of shaving being composed of potassium alum. The active ingredient in styptic pencils happens to be aluminum sulfate, or on occasion, potassium aluminum sulfate. Now all of these chemicals are very much related, which accounts for their similar properties, but also accounts for their differences in the amount of stinging as well.

I dunno man! Maybe the titanium dioxide is what causes the burning. I know alum is a form of salt as well, so I figured more burning meant more salt. Maybe it's the titanium dioxide. In any case, the pens are better for stopping bleeding from serious battle damage for most shavers. If your block has been good enough for you, your shave skills must be pretty good. I'm going to see if I can find a block here locally, and not get gouged, so I can give it a try.

I dunno man! Maybe the titanium dioxide is what causes the burning. I know alum is a form of salt as well, so I figured more burning meant more salt. Maybe it's the titanium dioxide. In any case, the pens are better for stopping bleeding from serious battle damage for most shavers. If your block has been good enough for you, your shave skills must be pretty good. I'm going to see if I can find a block here locally, and not get gouged, so I can give it a try.

Fair enough. I don't know about the titanium dioxide. It might, but the stuff is rather inert. And I agree with you on the pencils being better if you stick yourself good. For whatever reason alum isn't quite as good at stopping bleeding, though it can still aid in slowing the flow of blood. :001_smile

Top Bottom