What's new

How much "cuff" do you like to show?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I mean, for the sleeves of a suit jacket ... how much of the shirt cuff at your wrist do you like to be shown (when standing and your arms are hanging naturally at your sides ... naturally the measurement changes when you move your arms about, but we'll take that static pose as the benchmark.)

I voted for the 1/2", but only because my lovely wife says that's about right. I could really care less....I only wear suit about once a week, maybe twice if I have a special meeting or court.

I have mine set a tad longer (about even) just because when I'm wearing a suit, I'm usually playing my trumpet and don't want to look like I'm wearing a kid's suit when I have my arms up to play.

If I had more money, I'd get some "out and about" suits and some "working" suits.

One inch if I'm wearing cuff links. Even with the jacket if not. I go out to fancy hotels that require suits and I see most with 1" that are wearing links.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
+1 on this! Although most men today don't seem to be too concerned about this type of thing, it drives me banannas to see ill-fitting clothes...just a little pet peeve of mine I guess.
ah yes ... a whole additional thread there ... usually the sleeves of both shirt and jacket are too long, going halfway down the palm of the hand ... ugh!
One inch if I'm wearing cuff links. Even with the jacket if not. I go out to fancy hotels that require suits and I see most with 1" that are wearing links.

An interesting point. I've heard in some places that one ought to show more cuff when wearing cufflinks ... but presumably the shirtsleeves remain the same length, so jacket sleeves need to be cut for links OR buttons by the tailor. And then you have to remember which is which in your closet!!

Ian, that is why I voted for 3/4 inch. It works well with both types of shirts, and you don't have to remember which is for regular shirts and which is for cuff links

Weird, when I voted, I was taken to the shaving brush section and an old thread entitled "In defense of Charles Roberts". Twilight Zone.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Weird, when I voted, I was taken to the shaving brush section and an old thread entitled "In defense of Charles Roberts". Twilight Zone.

I've been there too, today. Full moon tonight? :001_rolle

I'm not sure what is proper for a woman wearing a jacket, pantsuit or skirted suit. Generally 1/4 - 1/2" cuff is showing. It's tough to find womens dressy blouses and jackets with knee length sleeves. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Sue

We all seem to be pretty much in agreement. I would say 1/2" or a bit less for barrel cuffs, and a bit more, maybe up to 1 inch, for double cuffs. Or actually for cufflinks. Anyone ever wonder why cuffs are folded over to use with cuff links? Why are there no single cuffs to be used with cuff links? Well turns out there are single cuffs designed to be used with cuff links. Apparently that is the way these things started out.

Top Bottom