What's new

The "only one suit" thread

I have to wear a suit every day for work. I have chosen my verbiage carefully: I GET to shave every day. I HAVE to wear a suit every day.

If I could only buy one suit it would be ANY of the following solid colors (these are opinions, not hard and fast rules). I think it all comes down to personal preference. I think either two or three button is fine. Two is considered slightly more traditional, but three is acceptable in any situation. The most important thing is that the suit fits you well. Never get anything with more than three buttons, unless you're singing behind Gladys Knight or are a Beatle.

Charcoal Grey

Black

Navy Blue

Last edited:
Living in the Philippines has its disadvantages... namely it's hotter than New Orleans here in the Summer months. I'm looking into getting a Seersucker Suit mainly for church and casual party dress. Back 20 years ago and long before that Linen was popular for suits here but I don't know about pulling off the look. Having come from Florida linen suits evoke images of Miami Gangsters and Don Johnson (SHUDDER!). The real question in my mind is I am suit size 60L (yeah I'm fat, wanna fight about it?). If I sport a seersucker I don't want to look like an idiot... Opinions? Oh yeah I'm 6'2" tall if that helps.

BrSpiritus

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Living in the Philippines has its disadvantages... namely it's hotter than New Orleans here in the Summer months. I'm looking into getting a Seersucker Suit mainly for church and casual party dress. Back 20 years ago and long before that Linen was popular for suits here but I don't know about pulling off the look. Having come from Florida linen suits evoke images of Miami Gangsters and Don Johnson (SHUDDER!). The real question in my mind is I am suit size 60L (yeah I'm fat, wanna fight about it?). If I sport a seersucker I don't want to look like an idiot... Opinions? Oh yeah I'm 6'2" tall if that helps.

BrSpiritus

I can't think of any suit that would be one tenth as appropriate for the Philippine climate as a good barong tagalog!

I have a Ralph Lauren charcoal suit. It's the only suit I have, and it has served me well for over five years. I don't know if it's the most versatile suit out there, but it does just about everything for me depending on the tie and shoes I'm wearing.

If I only had one suit, I would go grey, single breasted. Keep the cut conservative.

I have been in sales for most of my life and I used to struggle to buy good suits. I know have Brooks Brothers, Italian suites, and hand-tailored suit from Singapore and France. The Singapore suits are made of light weight Scotish worsted wool. This is because I discovered thrift stores. I don't think I paid more that $35 (plus tailoring) for any of them, and all were in like-new conditions. Go to thrift stores in nice areas. People generally save their best suites for special occasions, so they don't get much wear. People also get fatter or thinner, and they know have no use for these suites, so they donate them. I am so picky now. If it isn't a suit that would retail for over $1000, I will not touch it.

I like nice things, but I am not a rich man. I won't let that stop me!

Dave

Dave

I am a thrift store guy as well. I have found that Burlington coat factory has a nice variety of suits at good prices. I wear mine to church, and church events throughout the week, and like dressing up for events.

I have a dark green Double brested, a gray striped 3 button, and a new dark gray pinstripe 2 button. I also have a brown sport coat.

I think the other thing to consider is, that you need to wear the suit once in a while, or something other then a funeral. Make sure you have a nice pair of shoes, shirt etc. I have been to a lot of funerals, and you can tell the dude that is wearing a suit for the first time.

Marty

I stopped at MW tonight just to browse (not to buy. seriously) and the salesman told me that 2 button suits traditionally come with pleated pants and 3 button with flat fronts. am I missing something here or was he just blowing smoke up my butt?

I have two suits (which get worn about twice a year on average - taking the missus out for Valentine's Day and our anniversary). One is a '40s style navy with white pinstripes double-breasted I had made by the tailor that came by the barracks in Japan years ago. It's really a bit over the top, but what the hell, I have fun wearing it on occasion. The other is a very nice Hart, Schaeffner and Marx dark gray with tiny thin pinstripes that I got dirt cheap from a department store that was going out of business.

I enjoy looking good in a nice suit, but I don't really have very many occasions to wear one. I work in a dirty business, and I have a toddler so there aren't many nights out on the town anymore.

I wear one to the beach. :cool:

Austin is actually Barney from HIMYM....:001_tongu

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have to wear a suit every day for work. I have chosen my verbiage carefully: I GET to shave every day. I HAVE to wear a suit every day.

If I could only buy one suit it would be ANY of the following solid colors (these are opinions, not hard and fast rules). I think it all comes down to personal preference. I think either two or three button is fine. Two is considered slightly more traditional, but three is acceptable in any situation. The most important thing is that the suit fits you well. Never get anything with more than three buttons, unless you're singing behind Gladys Knight or are a Beatle.

Charcoal Grey

Black

Navy Blue

Two button is actually a bit dated. I have a couple left around, but prefer the newer 3 & 4 buttons, personally.

I can't think of any suit that would be one tenth as appropriate for the Philippine climate as a good barong tagalog!

Funny enough among Filipinos the Barong is falling out of style. I have a traditional one woven from Pina fiber that I was married in but it's not really appropriate evening wear or even to a wedding unless you're a Ninong (Godfather) at the wedding and I'm too young for that. SOOOOO long story short my barong sits in the closet because it's really the eqivalent of a tuxedo and just too dressy for casual parties and such. I see more Filipinos wearing wool (!?) suits these days and among the expats... well I won't get into that but most of them have no fashion sense at all and will dress like it's a day at the beach (Short shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt or polo) when attending an evening dinner or party. Hey if its casual come as you are I have no problem with it but there's a time and a place for everything.

BrSpiritus

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Funny enough among Filipinos the Barong is falling out of style. I have a traditional one woven from Pina fiber that I was married in but it's not really appropriate evening wear or even to a wedding unless you're a Ninong (Godfather) at the wedding and I'm too young for that. SOOOOO long story short my barong sits in the closet because it's really the eqivalent of a tuxedo and just too dressy for casual parties and such. I see more Filipinos wearing wool (!?) suits these days and among the expats... well I won't get into that but most of them have no fashion sense at all and will dress like it's a day at the beach (Short shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt or polo) when attending an evening dinner or party. Hey if its casual come as you are I have no problem with it but there's a time and a place for everything.

BrSpiritus

:bored::confused1 Sheesh, I guess they like to sweat a lot. :001_rolle

Oh well ... if it's a suit, I'd suggest you look at certain lightweight wool materials. Yes, wool; but no not the heavy thick stuff that keeps out the winter chill. What you want is a material that is a loose weave of tightly woven threads ... so the threads of the fabric are tightly wound, but they are woven together loosely into the fabric so the fabric is very breatheable. I understand that 'Fresco' is about the best you can get in that category ... made in England for over 100 years specifically for suits in the tropics. It'll give you the same performace as linen heat-wise, without the 'linen look', which you said (iirc) you don't want.

I stopped at MW tonight just to browse (not to buy. seriously) and the salesman told me that 2 button suits traditionally come with pleated pants and 3 button with flat fronts. am I missing something here or was he just blowing smoke up my butt?

Not so much smoke-blowing as the blind leading the blind. He probably thinks that's true, which just demonstrates how poor his INTEL is. If you talk to him long enough, he'll start talking about how suits have 'unknown unknowns'. :wink2:

Grey is hard to beat for a 'one suit' guy. I think dark blue/navy would be fine also, and actually would be my choice probably. Unless we're talking the medium grey, two button suit like the one Cary Grant wore in 'North By Northwest.'

(With brown shoes.)

If that's the grey suit we're talking about, sign me up. :lol:

I am a thrift store guy as well. I have found that Burlington coat factory has a nice variety of suits at good prices. I wear mine to church, and church events throughout the week, and like dressing up for events.

I have a dark green Double brested, a gray striped 3 button, and a new dark gray pinstripe 2 button. I also have a brown sport coat.

I think the other thing to consider is, that you need to wear the suit once in a while, or something other then a funeral. Make sure you have a nice pair of shoes, shirt etc. I have been to a lot of funerals, and you can tell the dude that is wearing a suit for the first time.

Marty

Hi Marty,

I just discovered Burlington Coat Factory this Summer. They have some very good stuff at very low prices!

Dave

The OP's suggestion is exactly what I bought for my first suit. You can take a mid-grey two button almost anywhere with the right shirt and tie.

Two button is actually a bit dated. I have a couple left around, but prefer the newer 3 & 4 buttons, personally.

Two buttons are not dated. It depends on your physique. Some guys look better in two buttons, some in three.

Four buttons? Those will be dated in a few years. And stay away from black as one of your basic suits. Navy, charcoal or mid grey.

I guess you might be able to infer that I am somewhat traditional to my approach to suiting.

Last edited:
Four buttons? Those will be dated in a few years. And stay away from black as one of your basic suits. Navy, charcoal or mid grey.

I guess you might be able to infer that I am somewhat traditional to my approach to suiting.

Why does everyone say to avoid black?

Why does everyone say to avoid black?

I think it's because it's considered too formal and more appropriate for funerals. I would disagree with this and think it can be worn in many different occasions, so long as you coordinate your shirts and ties correctly

Top Bottom