What's new

The "only one suit" thread

I'd be the first one to say a gentleman needs several suits, and I don't disagree that at the ends of the spectrum other suits would be better suited :)tongue_sm) to specific tasks ... charcoal better than mid-grey at a funeral, seersucker or cream linen better at a July wedding, and so forth.

But the key here is "which suit will be on average best at all those uses?" I'll say that mid-grey is 'good enough' for a funeral, so long as you pair it with black tie/belt/shoes, and if you want to add a bit, a black arm band is traditional to demonstrate that one is in mourning.

Well, wool ain't always wool, if you know what I mean. A heavy flannel or the like is going to wear a lot hotter than a lightweight wool ... "tropical weight" wool is very light, and you can get high-twist-loose-weave wool that is very good for having the breeze blow through it.

My main gripe with dark suits, be they black, navy or charcoal, is that they are the wrong colour for summer: wearing dark clothes in the sun is a surefire way to turn yourself into a solar energy pannel ... yuck. (Heck, I once made the mistake of buying a black linen jacket ... even though it was unlined ... it was an oven!!)

Any suit that I've ever worn in the summer has become an oven. However, pit stains in a dark suit don't look nearly as ridiculous as those in a light colored suit :tongue_sm

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Any suit that I've ever worn in the summer has become an oven. However, pit stains in a dark suit don't look nearly as ridiculous as those in a light colored suit :tongue_sm

You're getting really close to custom title territory there, Mister Pitty ... :lol:

My main gripe with dark suits, be they black, navy or charcoal, is that they are the wrong colour for summer: wearing dark clothes in the sun is a surefire way to turn yourself into a solar energy pannel ... yuck. (Heck, I once made the mistake of buying a black linen jacket ... even though it was unlined ... it was an oven!!)

All true. I said black because the one of the few places it would not be appropriate would be at a daytime outdoor summer function and, for me at least, that would be the least likely place to need a suit. On the other hand, I would not want to be the guy in the light gray suit at a Saturday night wedding, which, to me, would be the most likely place for a "one suit" guy to need a suit. Again, it's going to be impossible to cover all the bases with just one suit -- I think the purchaser needs to consider what types of places he is most likely to go, and which are least likely, before he chooses weight and color. Seems like the one thing we all agree on is that it should be solid, allowing you to dress up or down with shirt tie and other accessories. Pinstripes are fine for the courtroom, but, IMO, not such a great look at a party.

Nevertheless, I couldn't survive with just one (of course I've got over a dozen in my current rota).

You're getting really close to custom title territory there, Mister Pitty ... :lol:

I've never had pit stains, that was merely an observation of other fools that I see:biggrin:

And besides, I already have a pretty bad custom title... that might be doing me a favor :lol:

Forgive me, I am unfamiliar with the military. Are you not able to wear any other suit for any other functions, or is that sarcasm I'm not picking up?

Both. 99% of the functions I'd attend that necessitate the wear of a suit would also require that I'm in uniform. I've owned other suits in the past but currently my Service Dress Uniform (Class A's) are all I have.

If I only had one suit, I would go grey, single breasted. Keep the cut conservative.

I have been in sales for most of my life and I used to struggle to buy good suits. I know have Brooks Brothers, Italian suites, and hand-tailored suit from Singapore and France. The Singapore suits are made of light weight Scotish worsted wool. This is because I discovered thrift stores. I don't think I paid more that $35 (plus tailoring) for any of them, and all were in like-new conditions. Go to thrift stores in nice areas. People generally save their best suites for special occasions, so they don't get much wear. People also get fatter or thinner, and they know have no use for these suites, so they donate them. I am so picky now. If it isn't a suit that would retail for over $1000, I will not touch it.

I like nice things, but I am not a rich man. I won't let that stop me!

Dave

Dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Again, it's going to be impossible to cover all the bases with just one suit -- I think the purchaser needs to consider what types of places he is most likely to go, and which are least likely, before he chooses weight and color. Seems like the one thing we all agree on is that it should be solid, allowing you to dress up or down with shirt tie and other accessories. Pinstripes are fine for the courtroom, but, IMO, not such a great look at a party.

Nevertheless, I couldn't survive with just one (of course I've got over a dozen in my current rota).
We are agreeing all over the place! Of course to the well-suited gentleman, picking just one is going to be a question of making the best of a bad situation (namely, having only one suit.) And yes, pinstripes will greatly limit appropriate places to wear the suit.

Surviving with one suit? I'm as likely to try and survive with one razor! :eek:
And besides, I already have a pretty bad custom title... that might be doing me a favor :lol:
then the old one stays. :lol:
Alas, I have only one suit. :biggrin:

I see two. :tongue_sm

I'm going to play "Devil's Advocate" here, and ask,

How many of you own just one fragrance?

Hopefully all of the implications are apparent, after having read this thread!
:cool:

As Macon Leary said in "The Accidental Tourist" : "The suit should be medium grey, it not only hides the dirt but it comes handy for sudden funerals..."

I have two suits, three button dark charcoal with a pinstripe and a two button navy with pinstripes. Both have side vents and I wear them to business meetings and social events when required.

I'd go with a medium-wieght, medium gray suit, single breasted and probably a two-button rather than a three-button front. The material should be wool (not cotton like some summer suits), and should be free from any pattern, pinstripes, &c. ... a blank canvas, as it were.

You have just described my suit! I have only 1!

No argument from me Ian, just a dark blue/true navy would be my choice.

No argument here. But if I would go for only one suit for all occasions I would pick black or dark blue/navy. For me gray doesn't seems appropriate for funerals.

I agree with everything save the color. Navy blue would be my choice. This isn't much of a debate.

I'd definitely agree that single-breasted two button is the way to go. That is a classic look that will never be inappropriate.

Nice topic

I would rank the order of suits as:

1. Dark navy blue, single breasted, pure wool no frills.

Gian the Tailor made a custom tux for me. He insisted that it be midnight blue, NOT black. He's right (of course he is - he's a second generation Italian tailor).

I would strongly encourage a person with a 1 suit wardrobe to go with the darkest blue you can find. Under artificial light, midnight blue shows perfectly (think wedding photos). Its still blue, so you can accessorize with brown (unlike when wearing black). It can be formal, even substituting for a tuxedo. Worn with an open collar, it can be casual. When I pack for a trip, the first thing in the suitcase is a midnight blue suit.

One more thing: wool crepe in medium weight. Its a true 4 season fabric and left on a hanger it refuses to stay wrinkled. Wears like iron/looks like it costs 3 times more than it actually does.

B

Last edited:
L

Lo'Tek

I believe I have nine suits, two are for special occasion, the rest dailys including the casual tux.

I agree with the 100% Wool - they breath well. My double breasted suits are the special occasion ones; those I wear about five to ten times in a year. The other ones I rotate - a suit to one of about two to five times in a week.

However, IMO although a double breasted suit is more formal and slightly more restrictive, If I could only own 1 suit, it would be a double. If you want to dress to impress, double are classier, and you'll most likely be the only one wearing one - that is unless the Duke of somewhere special walks in. Then everybody will be envious of you; albeit his will be nicer.

No matter what you get - have it tailored, don't forget the neck - you'll have to mention that one to the taylor, otherwise only the upper class has tailored necks.

Shoes and accessories are a different story. I have two pairs of Hann & Coles in a deep, dark plum, one's still unbroken. I love them.

Top Bottom