What's new

Chewing the Fat ( Mitchell's wool fat that is!)

I just got my 1st taste of using this soap this evening - & personally I don't see what the big deal is! ( regarding the latherability, maybe I'm just blessed with soft water).

I shaved in the shower, 1st wetting my face, then applying proraso pre/post - let that soak in for a min or 2,lathered up & took 2 passes for it to be damn smooth.
Finished up with some thayers witch hazel, & proraso splash afterwards for good measure.

Got a great lather, even easier than the taylors rose cream.Of course, I face lather mostly, so maybe that has something to do with it...
Shave was great too, normally I shave every other day, but you know how it is with a new arrival:biggrin: even so - no damage to speak of ( under normal circumstances, id be in razor burn city).
The scent was nothing to write home about, as in, it was fairly non existant (but I'd expected that from reading the reviews).I like how it smells though - and it in fact does perform really well - even a novice like me got a DFS:001_smile.
I still have a soft spot for proraso's menthol kick, but I think I may have found a new favorite, in terms of lather.
gets 5 thumbs up from me!

Of course, I face lather mostly, so maybe that has something to do with it...
THAT is a big part of the MWF equation for me.. YMMV

Used it this morning actually!

proxy.php

Awesome stuff!!!

Okay... Cue the "Anti-MWF Brigade" in 3.......... 2.......... 1..........

:wink:

Last edited:
I just got a cake of this yesterday, and although I didn't shave with it yet, there were numerous practice lathers for fun. The lather definitely started out looking very airy and dry when I began to work it, even from the first few swirls on my hand. It starts very different from my Trumper or Harris soap, which were wetter and denser from the get go. Still, it took an insane amount of water to get to a similar level of slickness as the Trumper or Harris, and once there I had oceans of thick lather - grape sized gobs were falling off my brush! I couldn't believe the amount of lather I had, and it didn't seem weak or watery, and had great staying power on the skin. It feels like it will shave well. I'll find out tomorrow, but for the moment I am seriously impressed.

I also milled it into another container, it took to milling like a champ. Some soaps I do this to do not want to stay together after this.

I bowl lather with MWF, and I've never had a problem with getting good lather.

+1 I bowl lather too.
I used this for the first time yesterday and had no issues getting a nice lather. I think with a few more tries, I can get an outstanding lather from MWF.

I just got a cake of this yesterday, and although I didn't shave with it yet, there were numerous practice lathers for fun. The lather definitely started out looking very airy and dry when I began to work it, even from the first few swirls on my hand. It starts very different from my Trumper or Harris soap, which were wetter and denser from the get go. Still, it took an insane amount of water to get to a similar level of slickness as the Trumper or Harris, and once there I had oceans of thick lather - grape sized gobs were falling off my brush! I couldn't believe the amount of lather I had, and it didn't seem weak or watery, and had great staying power on the skin. It feels like it will shave well. I'll find out tomorrow, but for the moment I am seriously impressed.

I also milled it into another container, it took to milling like a champ. Some soaps I do this to do not want to stay together after this.

I just got my 1st taste of using this soap this evening - & personally I don't see what the big deal is! ( regarding the latherability, maybe I'm just blessed with soft water).

I shaved in the shower, 1st wetting my face, then applying proraso pre/post - let that soak in for a min or 2,lathered up & took 2 passes for it to be damn smooth.
Finished up with some thayers witch hazel, & proraso splash afterwards for good measure.

Got a great lather, even easier than the taylors rose cream.Of course, I face lather mostly, so maybe that has something to do with it...
Shave was great too, normally I shave every other day, but you know how it is with a new arrival:biggrin: even so - no damage to speak of ( under normal circumstances, id be in razor burn city).
The scent was nothing to write home about, as in, it was fairly non existant (but I'd expected that from reading the reviews).I like how it smells though - and it in fact does perform really well - even a novice like me got a DFS:001_smile.
I still have a soft spot for proraso's menthol kick, but I think I may have found a new favorite, in terms of lather.
gets 5 thumbs up from me!

+1 I bowl lather too.
I used this for the first time yesterday and had no issues getting a nice lather. I think with a few more tries, I can get an outstanding lather from MWF.

Welcome to MWF! :001_smile

+1 I bowl lather too.

+3 There is no problem with MWF lather. (Muy Wonderful Foam):wink:

I have hard water. My lather from the FAT looks like it sucks compared to say Tabac or Irish Moos and takes an extra 2 minutes of loading in order to get enough crappy looking lather for three passes. I face lather so that's not why you're getting good lather, well that's part of it, but I think the main reason is water.

I'll say this though, as bad as the lather looks it works really good. However, it's too much of a PITA. It's the only soap I've had trouble with that out of all the ones I've tried. Tabac and IM have ruined the FAT for me and before them Mama Bear's. They are as easy to lather as a cream...

MWF makes my face feel like its been kissed moist by supermodels. I can't believe how much better it is than every other soap.

I have pretty soft water in Sydney so MWF is in my top 3 soaps, its just fantastic! I really enjoy its scent too!!!

While the water over here couldn't be classified as hard it isn't soft either so it takes a bit of practice to get a good lather.
Used MWF today for the first time since starting wetshaving, I got an excellent shave this morning and my face is so soft I can't stop rubbing my face. Best shave to date.
I cannot believe how much water I needed to use to get a good lather. I face lather and used that much water might as well just stuck my head in the sink :biggrin:

I've bowl and face lathered with MWF and I've never had any issues. I always get a great lather and a close comfortable shave.

as an update, I shaved again with the fat thismorning, & this time I didnt spare anything.

used a healthy dose of Proraso P/P, then laid back on the couch for about 5 mins with a hot towel on my face.
next up was a shower shave - using my trusty Merkur 23, & an Astra blade ( & of course MWF)
finished it up with the ol 'proraso splash & thayers witch hazel.

I've now got a BBS shave ( well by my defenition anyhow - no against the grain scratchiness anywhere).

was it worth the extra time / effort? I dont know, but what I can tell you is that MWF was "that extra something" that got me over the line...

:).

Top Bottom