What's new

Can hot water harm a brush?

Hi guys,

I am relatively new to wet shaving and have a question about brushes. I have started to use a scuttle and soak by brush in very hot water while I shower. The water is not boiling - but probably at just below the simmer point when I first put the brush in to soak. Can too hot of water harm the brush? I have really liked the warm lather a scuttle has been providing me in the morning. But I just have been worried that I might cause damage with too hot of water.

Any insight would be appreciated.

"They say" that too hot of water can cause the glue in the base to deteriorate over time. This could cause shedding. I have soaked mine in just below boiling water without any effect. After hearing other stories, however, I have stopped. Now, I just soak the brush in hot water and make my lather in a bowl that has been sitting in boiling water for the nice hot lather.

I dont let my brushes in water thats too hot for me to hold my hand in. The water for the inside of the scuttle can be hot as you like though

As you approach boiling point you can irrepariably damage the bristles. The glue and handle may also be damaged. As a rule of thumb, I don't put brushes in water hotter than I can stand to put my hand in. There is really no reason to do so - very hot water kills lather and you can't put the brush on your face without scalding.

As you approach boiling point you can irrepariably damage the bristles. The glue and handle may also be damaged. As a rule of thumb, I don't put brushes in water hotter than I can stand to put my hand in. There is really no reason to do so - very hot water kills lather and you can't put the brush on your face without scalding.

The hairs definitely, the handle sure, especially if its made of certain plastics, but the glue? Unless it's an old, even vintage, brush the glue used is likely an epoxy and can stand up to temperatures well above that of boiling water.

I got a batch of six old, promising but scuzzy-looking brushes, and after routine cleaning had little effect, put them in almost-boiling soapy water to soak. One of the six had its handle deform. Another had the midsection essentially disintegrate, plus the binder turned to gooey resin. OTOH, four weathered the treatment just fine and came out nice and clean. YMMV, I suppose. And in no cases were the bristles damaged. But I'd try everything BUT very hot water first. Of interest, I would judge that the brushes that were originally cheaper weathered the heat better; the ones that were probably most expensive were the ones that were damaged.

:nono::a21:If I soak mine I just use as hot as the tap can get it, and I've never had a problem. I usually just soak the brush under running hot tap water for a few. That works great for me, and I'm sure thats not long enough to damage the glue. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom