What's new

Modern equivalent of a Gillette Fatboy?

The Fatboy can be found on ebay, but the condition is always questionable plus at about 50 years old, how long can I expect one to last if it's used daily?

Thanks for any advice.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
They were built better back in that day, Gary .. I use one often in rotation, & in me travel kit. The modern equivalent I am still searching for, but I think the Fat Boys will long outlast me old arse.

A Slant is about equal weight wise, Cooncatbob's Mastiffs are nice ..

But, at the end of the day for me, you canna beat a Fatboy for quality, agility, or shaveability (might not be a word)

g

Hello Gary, and welcome to the B&B! I think if the condition is bad, then don't consider it, it's as simple as that. However, if you find one that looks to be in decent shape, age should have nothing to do with it. I don't think there is a modern equivalent that matches the quality of a Gillette adjustable. The razors from Gillette were built like tanks. If I were you, I'd look around on the BST (buy, sell, trade) forums here at B&B. You'll find a fatboy for a better deal doing it this way. On Ebay, the prices can get ridiculous. Good luck luck on finding one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Fatboy can be found on ebay, but the condition is always questionable plus at about 50 years old, how long can I expect one to last if it's used daily?

Thanks for any advice.

If you are concerned about condition post a WTB (want to buy) in our B/S/T you are bound to get some excellent offers.

The Fatboy was solidly built, better built than razors being sold today. Considering they are 50 years old, and still going strong, I would expect to get another 50 years out of them easily. :tongue_sm

I think all of the Gillette Adjustables should shave very similar, so you can purchase a Gillette Slim instead, and save yourself some money. :biggrin:

I think the only wear related issues you'll find are cosmetic--mainly in terms of "brassing" which is really just the wear of the nickel plating to expose the underlying brass base metal.

Apart from damage due to being dropped, the most common functional problems you see are the result of accumulated soap scum and other detritus. You don't generally see wear related functional problems such as stripped threads or loose pivots.

My take is that given proper care, the average Fat Boy should last several decades yet.

- Chris

The Fatboy will likely outlast any of the commercially made razors on the market today. The nickel plating on these razors is very good and if you keep one pretty clean you may not even see brassing for many, many years. Just get one and don't worry about it.

Len

I have three Gillette Slim adjustables. The one I'm using looks great and is still tight. I have another that looks good, but the TTO doors rattle. The third one I got very cheaply and will one day clean and oil it.

They were built better back in that day, Gary .. I use one often in rotation, & in me travel kit. The modern equivalent I am still searching for, but I think the Fat Boys will long outlast me old arse.

A Slant is about equal weight wise, Cooncatbob's Mastiffs are nice ..

But, at the end of the day for me, you canna beat a Fatboy for quality, agility, or shaveability (might not be a word)

g

How do you get a Mastiff?

If you are put off with the price of a "used condition" fatboy... you can always luck out on a cheap find with a Slim. They are still out there... in B/S/T. Just have to watch for awhile.

I think there is no Modern Replacement for the Slim/Fatboy/Toggle. Although...

I really enjoy my Merkur Futur. It is a solid, well built razor. I hear great things about the Progress too. Both will be much more aggressive then the gillettes.

If you find a good condition Gillette, it will last and last.

Top Bottom