What's new

Opinions on being between sizes

I am very much between sizes, in pret-a-porte, these days and was wondering what those in a similar situation do.

I am a very fit mid-40s guy and like to look and dress age appropriate. I wear neat jeans and ironed shirts when called for, un-ironed, but neat chinos and similar polos, and dirty, stinky, beat up work out and house work gear. Oh, and I wear tailored suits and semi-custom shirts.

I recently assessed my casual neat closet after buying some new shorts, jeans and shirts. I defaulted to a 32" pant and a medium shirt, but could easily wear a 31" pant and small shirts, in many cases. Added to that being a short guy, but not short enough to buy custom, many of the garments are a bit long.

I felt that in the slightly larger size I was being more age appropriate and that in the smaller size I would have been a bit self-conscious about what I was wearing. Nothing was tight though. I will add to this that outside of tailored clothes or workout gear, both of which I am very comfortable in, I have a terrible body image of myself. I really don't know how I'm "supposed" to look, or what looks good to others.

What do the rest of you gents do?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Different labels have different interpretations of a given "size", so I'd suggest shopping around until you find one that you like the fit of. I'd also suggest that clothes that are a little too big can be altered to a better fit, so take advantage of that were needed.

I'd suggest staying away from wearing clothes that are on the baggy/long side as it'd emphasise that you are too small for those clothes and make you seem even smaller (if that makes sense ... you don't want to look like a kid trying on his Dad's too-big clothes.)

Most clothes that are made for the mass market in North America, when it comes to age-appropriate for mid-40s, will be expecting an out-of-shape (ie tubby) customer. so look for slim-fit clothes in age-appropriate labels. Also, sometimes more youth-oriented labels have a few items that will work for the older crowd, so don't discount them totally.

hi
most clothes now made in south east asia ,fashion type shirts have a awful shape to them,extra slim middle and narrow shoulders and string arms ,like a lot of styles ,none fit.i am not over weight for 49 but a little more chunky than in my 30s. i find to if they fit round chest with a bit of room the sleeves are far to long ,whaaaaa frustrating to say the least,now if they are made in the usa or uk ,tend to fit right.van heusen are my favorite.

For shirts and jackets, I don't have much of a problem, but pants are a pain. Try finding a 33' waist and a 31' inseam.....

I've had this problem for most of my adult life. At one time (around age 25) I had a 48" chest and 18" arms. Keep in mind I am barely 5'6" tall. Since the days of four-a-day/need to impress the ladies work outs I've lost some muscle mass and therefor size but I'm still considerably larger for my height than the average guy. Currently I am a 44' chest and 16" arms. Either way those are typical dimensions for a man much taller than I. Around my waist I could easily wear a medium shirt but in the chest/shoulders I have no choice but large and occasionally XL.

So to answer your question I don't have the option of wearing a little tighter shirt. When it comes to short sleeves I look great in a Large shirt. When it comes to dress shirts I have to go with a larger size and then have them tailored down a bit at the mid section and have the sleeves shortened. Tailoring is cheaper than most realize and for me it is my only option when it comes to long sleeve shirts or jackets of any kind.

I'm short and squat (5'3'' and 175, don't everyone be jealous now) and one of the few brands that works for me is American Eagle. They're aiming for the younger crowd though, and if I don't want to buy jeans with holes already in them, I doubt you do either.

G

gone down south

at 6'1" 180 lbs, pretty much everything I buy has to go to my local neighbourhood tailor before I can wear it. Mass market clothes for my height assume a body about 30-40 pounds heavier, so everything either needs to be lengthened or taken in.

at 6'1" 180 lbs, pretty much everything I buy has to go to my local neighbourhood tailor before I can wear it. Mass market clothes for my height assume a body about 30-40 pounds heavier, so everything either needs to be lengthened or taken in.

You and I have the opposite problem! :lol:

Lucky Brand Jeans come in Short, Regular, and Long. The fit & finish is fantastic, and I believe most, if not all, are made in USA. If you wait for a sale, you can score well.

In these situations, I think, 'What would my wife say?' Well, she would say to use a tailor.

I am more frugal, so I often wear clothes that don't quite fit in some way or another. I have an 18.5-19" neck so my dress shirts are often too large in every dimension other than the neck. Athletic cut shirts work better than most.

I have some uniform shirts for work. I have no choice than to leave the second button undone due to my mutant neck. Some buddies at work give me a hard time, but the chicks dig the chest hair!

Depending on what you're looking for, try Lands End. They're do quarter inch increments on inseams and let you choose cuffed or uncuffed on most pants. And they have a great guarantee.

Yes, I've bought some of their stuff before. I have a couple of their suits since they offer them as separates.

I'm a little over 6'1" and about 225 and, therefore, a fairly easy fit (although they don't have to take in the pants nearly as much as they used to! :blush:)

I have personally always found that I tend not to wear the clothes that are a little tight, simply because they are less comfortable. As I rapidly approach my 50th b'day, I realize that not one person in the world other than SWMBO (and, perhaps, my tailor) knows what size I am wearing, so I have stopped worrying about it and I just buy what's comfortable. I have also noted that I can be one size in one brand and a size larger or a size smaller in another, so I don't worry about the number. My advice -- when in doubt, go bigger. It will be more comfortable and, perforce, more enjoyable to wear in the long run. I'm not suggesting that you get a tent, but if you're a 31.5, I say just go with the 32 and relax.

Enjoy!

I recently assessed my casual neat closet after buying some new shorts, jeans and shirts. I defaulted to a 32" pant and a medium shirt, but could easily wear a 31" pant and small shirts, in many cases. Added to that being a short guy, but not short enough to buy custom, many of the garments are a bit long.

I'm about the same size you are ... one of the tricks I've learned to fit into the next larger size is to double up layers of underwear, especially if you use long-johns. For summer, you can get the ones that will wick away perspiration and keep you cool and comfortable, and it will provide just enough extra "simulated weight" so the pants don't sag around your waist and the shirts fit properly.

As to the inseams being a bit long ... there's no quick cure for that. They have to be hemmed up. I taught myself how to sew well enough that I can do this at home. You can find online videos and tutorials that will give you the basics of using a needle and thread in order to maintain your own wardrobe.

One other trick I've learned is to match up clothes by designer label, wearing one and only one at any given time. Whether you pick Tommy, Calvin, Ralph, Perry, etc ... you can just pick out shirts and pants almost at random and be pretty sure they will go together. You don't want to wear a Tommy shirt and Calvin pants with a Ralph sweater ... it just won't look proper.

Last edited:
Top Bottom