What's new

Need some help with a French translation...

I've got an article here in French that relates to some research I'm doing and I was wondering if anyone could help with a translation. It's not that long only a paragraph or two. If you are willing to help, PM your email address to me and I'll get it out straight away. Many thanks.

I've got an article here in French that relates to some research I'm doing and I was wondering if anyone could help with a translation. It's not that long only a paragraph or two. If you are willing to help, PM your email address to me and I'll get it out straight away. Many thanks.

If I'm not too late I can help.

Those translation programs are ok, but because they do a literal translation and have no sense of context they rarely work for anything above a very low reading level. I can tell you from my days of teaching in France that it was very easy to tell when a student used an online translator.

They're especially bad with the it/he/she business. Because all French nouns have genders, translators often mistakenly choose 'he' or 'she' in place of 'it' for an object, and vice-versa for a person.

Those translation programs are ok, but because they do a literal translation and have no sense of context they rarely work for anything above a very low reading level. I can tell you from my days of teaching in France that it was very easy to tell when a student used an online translator.

They're especially bad with the it/he/she business. Because all French nouns have genders, translators often mistakenly choose 'he' or 'she' in place of 'it' for an object, and vice-versa for a person.

You are 100% correct. I think they are good shorter/more simple things. Large volumes of text would be a pain in the accuracy department.

I can translate French, but I use these programs for other languages I'm less familiar with. For example, my spoken Nihongo (Japanese) is passable, but I can't read very much of it.

Top Bottom