What's new

7 O'Clock Yellow vs. Astra Superior Plat. vs. Iridium Super

All of these seem similar, and all are Russian made. The 7 O'Clocks are my faves out of all the blades I have tried, and I'm curious about these other two. The 7's and the SI's are priced about the same, and the Astras are much less than either. I'm looking to stock up for the shavepocalypse, and would like some direct comparisons between these guys. Here's what I have so far:

Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge:
Approx. $34 per 100
Stainless steel
Teflon coated (?) + other coatings (not sure what though)

Astra Superior:
Approx. $18 per 100
Stainless steel
Platinum plated

Iridium Super
Approx. $34 per 100
"Extra" stainless steel
No info on coatings (any help here?)

So, anyone care to share comparisons between any/all of those blades? I've read all the reviews and such, and a few compare these to each other, but any further elaboration would be great. If, say, the Iridiums are had and shoulders above the 7 O'Clocks, then I will definitely be picking up a bunch, lol. Thanks in advance, gents.

Last edited:
I like the 7 o'clocks (both yellow and black), and the Asta superiors very much, the Super Iridiums I haven't gotten a great shave with yet, however many folks love them.
YMMV is very in effect as I'm not a particular fan of Derbys either, I can only use them in one particular razor to get a decent shave.

I've heard (read) folks compare the Astras and Iridiums favorably to each other, but I've had different experience so far.

Your best course of action would be to acquire some samples of each to try.

I'll send you some Astras if you'll PM me your address, maybe someone has some Iridiums to let you try

Thanks for the offer on the Astras, Jim...I appreciate it. I DO have a pack, so I'll pass on the offer...I just haven't gotten around to trying them (I plan to with my next shave though). I'm not averse to any handouts on the Iridiums though, lol...

I agree regarding the YMMV factor here...it's so difficult to compare something like this for someone else, lol. I'm with you on the Derbys though...I never got a shave I liked with them, and whatever the caotings are caused me skin irritation, so I never went back to them. Besides, they felt very dull to me, and I got a lot of drag. Feathers I cannot stand either...laser sharp, but so unforgiving. The Yellows and the Lord Plats are so far the only blades I've used that I get consistantly good shaves with in terms of sharpness, smoothness, and all around "goodness", lol. Main difference between them for me though is longevity...3-4 shaves per with he Lords, but 5-6 easily with the G's.

Monkey,

received a pack of the Astras gratis when I placed an order from one of the fine vendors here. Funny thing is, as you may remember, I've been trying all sorts of different blades trying to find one that just blows me away when used in my 40's SS. The Astra I had no real intention of ordering or trying for that matter & only reluctantly decided to use it. Heck I didn't even want to like it at all, but sometimes a product just stands on it's own merrit. Ther astras are sharp, comfortable and leave my face crazy smooth even in the so called "tough" spots. The price is hard to beat & I usually dont go more than 3-4 shaves with any blade, but after 4 shaves with the astra, it was still going strong! I'm sorry I haven't tried them before. If I hadnt stocked up on so many blades recently, I would easily dive right in & order a 100. Maybe someone might chime in on this thread saying they have a not so favorable opinion of the Astras, if that does happen, please send me a tell, I'd be happy to set up a trade with you for some other highly regarded blades!!!

Jeff

What was your impression of the 7 O'Clocks? IIRC, you didn't like them too much, so you think the Astras were much better than them in performance, or just better in terms of value? (again, sorry you ended up ordering them due to my lagginess in getting some to you)

Monkey,

received a pack of the Astras gratis when I placed an order from one of the fine vendors here. Funny thing is, as you may remember, I've been trying all sorts of different blades trying to find one that just blows me away when used in my 40's SS. The Astra I had no real intention of ordering or trying for that matter & only reluctantly decided to use it. Heck I didn't even want to like it at all, but sometimes a product just stands on it's own merrit. Ther astras are sharp, comfortable and leave my face crazy smooth even in the so called "tough" spots. The price is hard to beat & I usually dont go more than 3-4 shaves with any blade, but after 4 shaves with the astra, it was still going strong! I'm sorry I haven't tried them before. If I hadnt stocked up on so many blades recently, I would easily dive right in & order a 100. Maybe someone might chime in on this thread saying they have a not so favorable opinion of the Astras, if that does happen, please send me a tell, I'd be happy to set up a trade with you for some other highly regarded blades!!!

Jeff

The 7'Oclock Yellows and the Astras are both a little rough on face especially the Astras, they tug a little and and are rough leaving me with some irritation. The SI's seem to be much smoother to me. They are very sharp and do not tug at all. I like the SI's a lot, but I do not know if I like them more or less or equal to Feathers or Sharks, which are 2 of my faves along with the SI.

Hope this helps; I do have sensitive skin so some blades are very different for me than others though.

J.

Not your fault at all Monkey.

In the 46 Superspeed I use, the yellows pulled noticeably, the indian greens pulled as well but less so. I don't shave with any other DE so the SS is my only point of reference. The Astras were fabulous performers in my razor and this was just days after discovering the Lord Plats you referenced as well. (which I thought were pretty darned good). The Astras just made me stand up & take notice. And remember this is a blade that I begrudgingly tried with every intention of disliking it. Furthermore since they were just thrown in free with a blade sampler I ordered, I did'nt even factor pricing into the equation. Time to break out that pack you have, Im curious to get your opinion as well.

Jeff

The Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge blades are much smoother and very sharp (but not too sharp) for me. I like them much better than the Astra Superior. The Astras were just rough enough that I finished the 5 blades I (gratefully) received from Bullgoose, but I won't be replacing them.

I have never used the Iridium Super. There is an excellent review of them here.

For me personally I think Astra Keramik's are the best. Super sharp, super smooth especially in my slant, but the only problem is they last four shaves each. Maybe my face was made for them, but the slant Keramik is the best blade/razor combination I have ever tried. The only thing that comes close is a tech with a Gillette Swede.

Those are all decent blades, including the Keramiks.
But for my money the Super Iridiums win in almost every catagory.
Sharpness
Smoothness
Irritation free
Number of Shaves before starting to drag
I've about 600 in my closet, and now that John at WCS is selling them, I'll stockpiling more.
Mike

This is hilarious.

Everybody's opinions are diametrically opposed on these blades. Maybe it depends on your beard density and thickness of your beard, or something. Maybe everybody who posts an opinion should state what kind of beard they have; PERHAPS more sense might be made of it, and you could make a choice based on your beard. PERHAPS. Or, it might be more confusing still.

I have a fairly dense beard with really wiry hairs (about 50% gray) that is pretty tough to shave off. For ME, the Astras were actually better than the Yellows. Yellows tug, and Astras glide much better.

FWIW, I think the Russian Greens are slightly better than the Astras, and the Kais are about the same as the Russian Greens.

Good luck.

IMO, the Astra Superior has no business being mentioned with the other two - the Keramik is much closer IMO.

Id say the Iridium is just a hair past the 7Y because of smoothness, but I doubt Id really be able to tell them apart in a blind test.

Kingfisher, I know...it's SO YMMV, lol...

For the record, my beard isn't too thick...I can go a week, and sure, I look kinda like a bum, but I can pull off the not shaving thing due to the (lack of) density of growth. Other than that, my beard is average...coarse, but not too coarse...I don't know, I have only ever shaved myself, so I couldn't really compare to some other guy.

Shyrlock, would you be interested in parting with a couple of Super Iridiums? I jsut want to try a couple of shaves with one before committing to an order (of 100 or 200, like I do, lol). If not, I guess I can wait and get some with my next WCS order...I was going ot pick up some more Musgo Real body bars, along with the Dominica Bay Rum soap John now carries, and would rather order the Iridiums at that time to save shipping.

Top Bottom