What's new

Neck shave problems

Ok so the prelims - my current setup is
Brush: a blended bristle kent brush that was given as a gift
Razor: Dovo Shavette
Blades: Dovo supplied blades with shavette
Cream: Real Shaving Co (moisturising) cream

My problem is shaving my neck; I just can't get a really close shave. The problem comes in the way my hair grows. The central section (chin to Adam's apple) grows downwards, although only the central 2 - 2 1/2 inches. Outside that it grows outwards from the apple. The Adam's apple itself grows out to either side. The jaw lines both grow from chin to ear.

This is making it exceedingly difficult to do an ATG shave. WTG and XTG I can mange fine, and this leaves it pretty close. But i'm struggling to actually get to a position to do ATG. Doing my jaw I can pull half the sking taught onto the face and shave it, but below that it just seems impossible to get an angle to do it properly. The Adam's apple is impossible; It may be that I'm not dexterous enough , but it seems a very strange stroke to be trying. Three passes leaves me raw, it's not specifically the ATG that does it. Much of this when I was always short on time (and too broke to get more shaving cream) I could do a single pass in the shower with nothing but the water to shave with, doing WTG on the face and ATG on the neck. No irritation. I have since got the new cream, and gone back to a proper routine.

Any advice?

Last edited:
yeah, I have problems with the neck as well. Going ATG would require me to right to left across my neck over my adams apple. Basically I have been sticking with WTG and XTG on the neck while I am bettering my technique.

When I started, I di the "face-mapping" and tried paying close attention to the grain. It drove me nuts! What I've ended up doing is adopted a basic pattern and stuck with it. I do three passes: an (in general) WTG, followed by two XTG in different directions. It works well for me.
I think the neck is almost a universal trouble spot for new shavers. Maintaining a good angle is a bit difficult. Stretching the skin seems to help a lot.

practice.

it took me a while using a straight to work out how to get all the angles. My neck grows from apple to ears too, so I have taken to opening up the blade fully and holding it kind of like a dart, with the scales pointing forward, and then shaving ATG

Just play around with different grips and youll get there

Here is how my neck looks 12 hours later (see attachment).

I am not normally this sore, although the last time I used this blade it did the same.

I had similar problems when I first started. I found mapping to be the best remedy, second to blade choice and then allowing plenty of time (up to an hour) for my shave. Angle may help with the irritation, however I would try a different blade if that photo is after 12 hours. Leave it for another day before shaving again, and that way once your beard gets longer you can take a closer look at the growth patterns.

I found that my face is quite easy to shave and get BBS, however I need four passes for my neck. My first pass on my neck is apple to ear, predominantly with the grain, the second is traditionally N-S, third is ear to apple, and lastly is traditionally against the grain S-N. Sometimes I will need to hit a few smaller problem areas, but that's about it. You can go apple to ear, be careful with the angle and you will be surprised with the results. Take your time, and watch the blade pressure is the key.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Ok thanks for the advice. I have duly ditched said blade; two terrible shaves is entirely unknown for me, and is generally only the first shave of the blade. So I have a new blade for tomorrow, and will try corking it (as suggested elsewhere when I mentioned this) to alleviate the 'first shave' effects I often get. In the meantime, off to town to try some witch hazel as I am still slightly raw.

I am also thinking less prep. I have spent a lot more time on my prep the last couple of times, working a moisturising Dove soap lather into my face in the shower to soften things up. I think I may be making my skin too soft, and prone to coming off more with the razor as this is a new development. Prior to this I could just shave straight against the grain with just water in the shower, so something is amiss.

Not everyone, including me, and go against the grain without risking irritation. Most days I skip the ATG pass, as I know it may mean trouble. I still can get a DFS by sticking with WTG and XTG passes. You may want to ditch the ATG pass if it saves your skin.

Top Bottom