What's new

English Colognes Vs. French Colognes

What is your preference? Recommendations Welcomed

• English Colognes

• French Colognes

Results are only viewable after voting.
My question is which ones seem to last longer?

I purchased a Truefitt & Hill sample of shaving creams and colognes. So far I tried the Clubman and the West Indian Lime. Sorry to say I'm not impressed with either's lasting / staying ability as far as the scent. They fade away on me ridiculously fast. I'd say within two hours max. U.S. made Paul Sebastian lasts at least 10 hours for me. Japur EDT is light but lasts at least a good four hours.

I recently splashed almost half the sample of West Indian Lime and asked my wife after 30 minutes if it smelled strong. Her response was not at all

Any opinions or similar findings by other members? I have yet to try the other samples. As fas as the Shaving Creams, Lavendar is very nice as well as the Ultimate.

Any recommedations for a long lasting masculine cologne by Truefitt? If not what else would you recommend

How do other English colognes add up in this department. I don't mind spending money but I'm looking for a clean long lasting masculine fragrance.

Thank You

My knowledge of scents is based totally on my experience since coming on B&B. I don't know as I can offer any general statements about English vs French. To me, a cologne simply is what it is, and I try to judge them on their own merit. I have seen it said that the English "style" is "understated"....and I like that.
One observation is that the UK houses hover near the same price point. French products, in general, seem priced with a "sky is the limit" mentality. I find that excess focus on fancy packaging is irritating and wasteful. "Nice" bottles and boxes are fine, but some houses go far beyond that. An example: I finally got a "deal" on a fav: Guerlain "Jicky" in EdP strength. It arrived in a typical Guerlain box. Inside that, though, was another velvet box with a fancy gilt design. Inside that was nested a tiny, fancy bottle with a crystal stopper held own by a wire trap like a champagne bottle. This was topped by a delicate god chain with a feather fan.
Given the choice, I'd MUCH rather pay less for plainer packaging. I love nice scents, but they are WAY overpriced! Fancy packaging is, I think, used to make the pricing excesses justified somehow.

Don't think this lasting issue is an English or French thing. Citrus essential oils just don't have much staying power.

Don't think this lasting issue is an English or French thing. Citrus essential oils just don't have much staying power.

I agree completly where as my penhaligons opus and edymion and floris santal last 4-8 hours on me. Another thing I notice is that sprays seem to last longer than the samples I have to dab on.

There are lots of variables in lasting time - skin chemistry, temperature and the cologne itself. I don't think that country origin of the cologne has much to do with it though. The longest I have worn is Knize 10 which I think is Austrian.

I agree that longevity is probably not related to country of origin, but rather the other factors that have been mentioned. I've not heard of any Limes frag that lasts for much longer than 2 hours, and some less. This makes sense when you consider that the citrus notes are usually used as top notes, where they come out fast and strong, but fade quickly, which allows the heart and basenotes to come through. I've read it has to do with the size of the molecules of the different notes.

:cool:

I thought about this overnight. I think most folks, when perfumery is mentioned, immediately think of France. Many of the niche scents are from French houses. I think, as others have said, country of orgin is irrelevant.
I like lime but own no lime scents. There are a variety of "tricks" that supposedly boost longevity, maybe they would help.

I have found that the French colognes by Parfum de Nicolai have incredible staying power. I can still smell the Baladin I put on last night this morning, more than 12 hours later (and no, I don't bathe in the stuff either!). Of the English colognes I have, I find that T&H doesn't last long while GFT and Floris are longer lasting but not a patch on Parfum de Nicolai.

Pete

French scents all the way. I like the English scents but the French scents definitely match my personality more in their general behaviour.

Gentlemen,

Of the two cologne worlds, I have found the English more subtle. Which lasts longer I don't believe can be determined statistically.

Longevity depends also on who wears the cologne.

For me, I am more interested in liking the cologne rather than how long it will last on me.

Obelit

I didn't vote because I like EDT/EDC from both countries. I say why generalize this vs. that? Why not just buy what you like?

Read Luca Turin's Perfume Guide. It has a history of fragrance and the two schools present at the dawn of the 20th Century--one English and one French.

Top Bottom