What's new

May have bad razor. help appreciated

I just received my first real safety razor, a Parker 91r. It's a 3 piece razor.

The gap between the blade and the the top of the lower part of the head (blade gap?) is larger on one side razor. On the larger side I can see into the "back" of the head and not so much on the smaller.

Also, on the smaller side the gap appears to be a bit higher on the left side of the razor.

If I need to return it, I want to specifically be able to say why.

If you need pictures, I'll have to post them later as I'll need to use someone's camera.

do you mean left to right on the same side? or opposite sides (front and back) if that makes sense

edit: i think i get it now. have you tried reversing the top part? i had a problem with the blade sloping from left to right, and took the razor apart, underneath the head on both parts is a stamped "p" i made sure these were on the same side of the razor and did it up again holding everything equal, i know you have a different problem, but its worth a try for the 30 seconds it will take you

Last edited:
It would be extremely helpful if you can post pictures.

What you describe would not be out of the ordinary for a Parker razor: they have a history of quality control problems. :mad:

By the different sides of the razor, I mean shaving sides. Shave with one side then rotate it and shave with the other and rinse.

I alligned the P's and seemed to take care of the sloping head (left side of one shaving side higher), although it may have just switched it to the other shaving side. Anyway, the difference in the gaps still remains.

I'll have the pictures up probably by tommorow if you wouldn't mind checking back then. thanks

there is a lot of "give" in the head of my 89r, it could have been alot tighter, but it does sound like yours could be dodgy

the pics will help the experienced guys set you straight

My suggestion is just return it. You don't want to doubt your purchase every time you pick up the razor. It's a piece of machinery that should be cherished. Now go get yourself a nice vintage Gillette or new Merkur.

My suggestion is just return it. You don't want to doubt your purchase every time you pick up the razor. It's a piece of machinery that should be cherished. Now go get yourself a nice vintage Gillette or new Merkur.

+1

A Vintage Gillette, or a new Merkur will be vastly superior to the Parker. :tongue_sm

I'm unable to get a close up picture with the camera without the image being blurry.

I'm just going to return it.

I just received my first real safety razor, a Parker 91r. It's a 3 piece razor.

The gap between the blade and the the top of the lower part of the head (blade gap?) is larger on one side razor. On the larger side I can see into the "back" of the head and not so much on the smaller.

Also, on the smaller side the gap appears to be a bit higher on the left side of the razor.

If I need to return it, I want to specifically be able to say why.

If you need pictures, I'll have to post them later as I'll need to use someone's camera.

when you return it - the seller will know why. I know of multiple such owners complaining on the same issue and returning their 91Rs. Apparently quality control is missing and they produce more bad razors than the good ones. In between I heard news that a major online reseller returned an entire consignment due to this specific problem. So go ahead and talk it out to the seller - he will know why !!

Top Bottom