Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Gillette Model ID

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    1,551
    Images
    2

    Default Gillette Model ID

    Gentlemen of the superior razor knowledge!

    I have two 'New' razors I think. One is the usual fatter handle and obviously a 'New', but the other has a thinner handle that I haven't seen before.

    Should I refer to this as a 'thin handled New'? - In a similar way to the Fat and Thin handled Techs

    Or is it something else entirely?

    Any advice greatly appreciated

    http://www.restoredrazors.com - Razor Restoration and Replating

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,099
    Images
    2

    Default

    Well, those are both very collectible NEWs. The silver finish is quite rare, and the slim handle is rarer still.
    Norm

  3. #3

    Default

    In Mr-razor's website, there are a few thin handled News, but all in gold. I remember someone had a silver one (although I don't remember if it was fat or thin handled).
    Anyway, mr-razor calls it thin handle, maybe there was a silver set.



    PS: this is just one model, there are a few.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,997
    Images
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onotoman View Post
    Gentlemen of the superior razor knowledge!

    I have two 'New' razors I think. One is the usual fatter handle and obviously a 'New', but the other has a thinner handle that I haven't seen before.

    Should I refer to this as a 'thin handled New'? - In a similar way to the Fat and Thin handled Techs

    Or is it something else entirely?

    Any advice greatly appreciated

    The thin bar handle (as opposed to the standard bar handle) NEWs are extremely scarce. Are those two of your replated razors that you pictured? You will also notice that the guard plates are different as the handle necks are different in diameter and the flat area between the groove line reflects the difference.

  5. #5

    Default

    I have a nickel plated thin handle new also, although my handle, while resembling the thin pictured above, is cast or machined - it's solid and heavy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    1,551
    Images
    2
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Yep, indeed replated.

    Worn through to the copper when they came in.

    I was going to gold plate over the nickel but I think I'll just leave them as they are.

    Thanks for the help.

    Quote Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
    The thin bar handle (as opposed to the standard bar handle) NEWs are extremely scarce. Are those two of your replated razors that you pictured? You will also notice that the guard plates are different as the handle necks are different in diameter and the flat area between the groove line reflects the difference.
    http://www.restoredrazors.com - Razor Restoration and Replating

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    1,551
    Images
    2
    Thread Starter

    Default

    This one isn't solid, I don't think - very similar weight to the fatter one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robxcarlson View Post
    I have a nickel plated thin handle new also, although my handle, while resembling the thin pictured above, is cast or machined - it's solid and heavy.
    http://www.restoredrazors.com - Razor Restoration and Replating

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    692

    Default

    what made you not get gold plating?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    1,551
    Images
    2
    Thread Starter

    Default

    The original News etc were Gold plated directly onto a copper coating, so as proven by most examples found these days, the gold has usually worn off.

    So, I nickel plate first then I have the option of gold plating over the nickel - like newer gold plated ,Aristocrats, Executives etc

    It will last so much longer.

    OK, not as the original but longer lasting.

    Also, I'm just not a fan of gold plating on anything - I tend to go for white gold (Rhodium) or nickel, Chrome etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunky View Post
    what made you not get gold plating?
    http://www.restoredrazors.com - Razor Restoration and Replating

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    1,551
    Images
    2
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
    The thin bar handle (as opposed to the standard bar handle) NEWs are extremely scarce. Are those two of your replated razors that you pictured? You will also notice that the guard plates are different as the handle necks are different in diameter and the flat area between the groove line reflects the difference.
    Forgot to add that I actually just thought I was buying a really scruffy standard 'New' (on Ebay for $10) until I saw it in the flesh..
    http://www.restoredrazors.com - Razor Restoration and Replating

  11. #11

    Default

    glasgow has one of those for sale now. doesn't look like it's in quite as nice shape as yours.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Philly suburbs
    Posts
    1,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amishmotorboat View Post
    glasgow has one of those for sale now. doesn't look like it's in quite as nice shape as yours.
    That's because he doesn't sell re-plated razors. He may have the gold and the silver slim variant.

    Len

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    1,551
    Images
    2
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Indeed, but he does sell some very good examples. I've bought quite a few.

    I may just bid for the gold plated model, then I'd have both variants.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
    That's because he doesn't sell re-plated razors. He may have the gold and the silver slim variant.

    Len
    http://www.restoredrazors.com - Razor Restoration and Replating

Similar Threads

  1. Gillette SS, but what model?
    By timmy in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 10:09 PM
  2. What's this Gillette Model?
    By onotoman in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 10:42 PM
  3. WTB/T: Gillette Model 58
    By Crhis in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 03:16 PM
  4. WTB: Gillette Model #58
    By Crhis in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
  5. WTB - N3 Gillette MINT any model
    By TheBigShow in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 12:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.