What's new

Whisky in Killarney

I'm going on a trip to Ireland with some college friends in April. Part of the trip includes stopping in Killarney and visiting some pubs. I figure the Emerald Isle would be as good a place as any to have my first glass of whisky. What would the B&B braintrust recommend?

Bushmills, Jameson and Powers will be available in most pubs and are all good, more rare delights are Midleton, Crested Ten and Redbreast. Drink it with a splash of water, no ice. Try a Bells or Grouse (both Scottish) along with the Irish to see if you notice the differences. Have a good sniff and savour the smell too.

Just remember that after the eighth or ninth one the flavour and aroma becomes a bit less discernable:lol:.

Beerwise get some stout. Guinness draft is ubiquitous, but if you see them about then Murphys and Beamish are a refreshing change. Beamish is very creamy and slightly less bitter than Guinness. Be really old-fashioned and drink your Stout from a pint bottle off the shelf, in a half pint glass, topping up frequently to maintain a healthy head.

But don't call it 'the black stuff', and give the bar person a dirty look if they insist on drawing a bloody shamrock in the head.

Enjoy, and bring along an umbrella or waterproof jacket.

Jameson Crested 10 is good and not avaliable in the US, you could bring me back a bottle if you like.

Yes you better remember to add a "E "

I was reminded in Dublin "If it is not good enough to order by name then its not good enough to drink"

You will have a great time, I always do.

AD

here at home i pretty much stick to jameson's (or sometimes tullamore dew), but i think if i had the chance i'd try connemara - which is ireland's only peated single malt (from one of the few irish distillers still owned by the irish)

wondering how it would compare to a single malt scotch

Sample as many whiskies/beers as you can especially those not available or difficult to obtain in the states. Visit the Bushmills Distillery (volunteer to be the toastmaster) and Guinness Brewery if possible. At one time Mulligan's had a rep for drawing the best pint of Guinness in Dublin but that may have changed; some pubs have whiskey on draft. Bartenders are usually good about giving you a sample if you are not sure about your preference (beers/ales). Whiskey, ask the pub patrons what they prefer.

Be careful, if you buy the house a round they will try to reciprocate; it is customary to do so (the Irish are not sandbaggers). There are certain protocols in pubs; try to learn them and it will enhance/increase your enjoyment.

Take the jaunting cart and boat tour of the Killarney, Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula and you will have "seen the Green". Beautiful island with even more beautiful people

Ireland, food ok, drinks better, people best.

All of you have a safe and enjoyable trip and let us know which are your favorites.

Top Bottom