What's new

Need help identifying "Crystal Junior"

I found 3 straight razors in a box that used to belong to my grandfather's. My dad said that one or all of them might have even been my great-grandfather's. Here are some pictures of one of them. It is a "Crystal Junior" with wooden scales and F.A. Koch & Co., Made in Germany stamped on the other side of the tang. I want to get them re-honed. Is this one worth spending money on? I have never shaved with a straight razor before...

Thanks in advance.

Koch is a good brand but that razor has an awful lot of wear and a nasty frown in it that will take a lot more honing to fix... I would just oil it and save it as a memento, and get another razor for shaving. You mentioned that you had three, was this the best one in the bunch or were there others in decent shape?

Hey thanks,
This is the one I thought looked the neatest and oldest. Here are some pictures of a "Sword & Crown" in the same bunch. Is there too much wear on this one too?

Yes. It's not just the wear, it's the frown in the edge that will take a lot more honing to get rid of. See how the edge of those razors curves up towards the spine and then back down as you follow it from the handle to the tip to the tip? That curve is called a frown, and it will cause the razor to be very prone to nicking you or even slicing you unless you get rid of it. Your grandfather probably got used to it gradually as the razors slowly wore into that shape, so he adapted and managed to shave ok with them. If it curves the other way (down then up) it's fine - that's referred to as a "smile" (for obvious reasons) and it's pretty easy to hone and very easy on your face. Some guys actually prefer razors with smiling edges over razors with straight ones. But frowns are dangerous to shave with.

Any chance the last razor (I believe you mentioned you found three?) has either a straight edge or a smiling edge?

Edit: It may be possible to salvage the ERN but it won't be easy. If that's the best razor of the bunch then there are some guys here that might be able to salvage it for you. ERNs are extremely good, and the "Crown and Sword" is one of their iconic razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom