What's new

Closer Shave: Safety Razor or Gillette Fusion Power?

Overall, what is going to give you a much closer shave, and ultimately, be more likely to give you BBS or DFS? A safety razor like a Merkur HD or a cartridge razor like a Gillette Fusion Power or a Mach 3?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Overall, what is going to give you a much closer shave, and ultimately, be more likely to give you BBS or DFS? A safety razor like a Merkur HD or a cartridge razor like a Gillette Fusion Power or a Mach 3?

That's a big swing. There is even a pretty big difference between the Fusion and the Mach3.

Truth be told, you probably get a closer shave with the Mach3, possibly the Fusion (never used one of the monstrosities) but the issue that many folks discuss when making the change is that the multi-blade cart razors do that "cutting below the surface" thing which promotes irritation.

Some folks are able to use them and not get irritation or ingrown hair from them, but many have problems with irritation, notwithstanding the cost of the cartridges.

I personally didn't make the switch due to cost. There were many factors much more important to me than cost.

Kind of a rambling answer but I hope it helps. I'm sure there'll be others along soon to give you their take.

Really? You're asking that question at B&B? :)

The real answer is try both and see what feels best for you. The "correct" answer, when it comes to B&B, is anything but a cartridge! :biggrin:

Having used all of those items you mentioned I have to honestly say the Merkur HD has given me the best and closest shaves of my life. The fusion did give me a close shave but it left me with tonnes of irritation/ingrowns and a lot less in my wallet. Compare 8 fusion cartridges @ $20+(CAD) vs. 100 Derby blades @ $20(CAD) or less. Also i get a lot more milage out of a Derby blade than the fusion cartridges.

My double edge razors give me both a closer and more comfortable shave than my fusion ever did.

That's a big swing. There is even a pretty big difference between the Fusion and the Mach3.

Truth be told, you probably get a closer shave with the Mach3, possibly the Fusion (never used one of the monstrosities) but the issue that many folks discuss when making the change is that the multi-blade cart razors do that "cutting below the surface" thing which promotes irritation.

Some folks are able to use them and not get irritation or ingrown hair from them, but many have problems with irritation, notwithstanding the cost of the cartridges.

I personally didn't make the switch due to cost. There were many factors much more important to me than cost.

Kind of a rambling answer but I hope it helps. I'm sure there'll be others along soon to give you their take.

+1 You'll have to decide what works for you. From what I have read, there are a lot of members here using cartridges, disposables, injectors, single edge Gems, Rolls Razors, Auto Strops, straights and double edge razors. The forum is about wet shaving so the way I see it, if water is involved in your shave, share your experience.

I get closer shaves with my DE than I did with my mach 3. I'm sure others could have gotten closer shaves with the mach 3, but if I did more than a 1 pass WTG shave with the mach 3 I got tons of razor burn and ingrowns.

G

gone down south

Mach3's generally give me a better shave, but the DE wins out on price and cool factor.

I could get a pretty good shave with the fusion and I never had any razor burn or the like but BBS was never going to happen. I am sometimes getting BBS and other times razor burn with a DE razor but I put that down to technique as I'm still learning. Money isn't really an issue as the fusion blades would last me ages it's more about the attainment of BBS for me. Plus it is far more enjoyable with a DE razor

Having used all of those items you mentioned I have to honestly say the Merkur HD has given me the best and closest shaves of my life. The fusion did give me a close shave but it left me with tonnes of irritation/ingrowns and a lot less in my wallet. Compare 8 fusion cartridges @ $20+(CAD) vs. 100 Derby blades @ $20(CAD) or less. Also i get a lot more milage out of a Derby blade than the fusion cartridges.

+1 :thumbup1:

A Sensor Excel.:001_smile

+1. It's clearly superior to the Fusion, and Mach 3, which in my honest opinion are 100% garbage. The Sensor Excel performs better, cost less, and doesn't have such a huge head, that it needs a single bladed trimmer to get into the smaller areas.

If I ever took a foray back into cartridges, I would use a Sensor Excel, or an Atra. The Sensor Excel has a slight edge over the Atra.

Last edited:
A Sensor Excel.:001_smile

+1 again...

I definitely got a closer shave with a Sensor Excel (never got around to a Fusion, Mach 3, Quattro, etc., just kept it at twin blades), but I got mega-ingrowns too! :mad: Those have definitely lessened with a DE.

That whole concept of shaving "below" the skin does give a closer shave, but I now find myself having to shave more frequently with a DE since it's "above" or "at" skin level with the beard reduction technique (but that's not a bad thing at all, right? shaving more frequently? :biggrin:).

The safety razor definitely, for me at least. I wet shaved with a Mach3 power and gel from when it came out in about 2004 until last year. My technique consisted of one application of gel and 15-20 minutes of frenzied North-South and South-North scrubbing. The cold gel was unpleasant especially in the winter mornings, I frequently got razor burn and I usually ended up missing a few patches here and there (I'd usually get told this by someone else about mid-morning). With the DE it's only going over my face a maximum of 4 times and gets me much smoother than the Mach3 ever did in about the same length of time. Moreover, if I'm in a hurry just a couple of passes will get me presentable in a few minutes.

I don't have any experience with the Fusion, but DE shaving has been much better than a Mach3. A significant part of my initial decision to grow a beard was I hated shaving with a Mach3. I think I have gotten better shaves with the DE for sure. It definitely has taken practice, but it is not that hard to get consistently better shaves.

I can get great shaves with a mach3, the reason to use a DE is that I am not willing to pay 16 euro for 6 m3 cartridges that will last me a month if I am lucky. That and the fact that I like the 'cool' factor involved in using a DE. Closeness of shave is about equal IMO.

Last edited:
To those saying DE over cartridge: have you ever tried wet shaving with a cartridge? I am talking about cream/soap, brush, prep, etc.

shaving with one blade system razors means that the hair is cut off cleanly on the surface of the skin .Razor Rash-Bumps are caused by ingrown hairs and they are caused a lot by shaving to close and against the grain of the growth for closer shaves. The multi blade systems will give a super close shave but unfortunately also all the problems that go with that i.e.; razor bumps, spots, redness, burning etc. Basically they wax the face by pulling the hair out cleanly from the root thus causing ingrown hair.
Ways to amend damage done by this method of shaving.
Shave after a shower because the steam will soften the beard and open the pores.
Always use a pre - shave product to prepare the skin before shaving.
Use a brush to apply shaving soap or cream to exfoliate and massage the skin loosening and unclogging pores.
Shave with a one blade razor taking short even strokes holding with a light touch and never bearing down heavily on the skin. Stretch and pull the skin lightly with fingers from other hand for a closer shave.
Rinse the blade often with hot water
Use a quality Moisturizer Product after shaving and splash Cologne on the back of neck or behind the ears never on the face as product containing alcohol will damage not treat the skin. That's my way anyway lads!!

Top Bottom