Thread: Gift/care package for deploying soldiers?

Default Gift/care package for deploying soldiers?

Two of my buddies, both Army helicopter pilots, are deploying to Afghanistan and Iraq soon.

What's a good going-away gift or care package to send? Already thought about wet shaving supplies - what else?

Thanks

Images

Here are some ideas.

http://www.ustroopcarepackage.com/

Yep, I've looked at those sites, I was posting in hopes of leveraging any B&B member's knowledge of previous deployments (what they wish they had).

Images

I had a buddy in the 82nd AB who did about 3 tours in Iraq, I sent him the biggest phone card I could find so he could call his wife, who he came home and impregnated on a 15-day break.

I've heard prepaid calling cards are one of the best things you can get a deployed soldier, so they can call their families when they want/need/are able to.

Also, treat them to a nice meal out when they return.

It's always tough to say thank you enough...we really do owe them our lives whether we realize it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by milkid View Post
    Two of my buddies, both Army helicopter pilots, are deploying to Afghanistan and Iraq soon.

What's a good going-away gift or care package to send? Already thought about wet shaving supplies - what else?

Thanks

Canned goods, magazines, cigars, and especially home made cookies and such. A type of music device thats portable and plays cd's while at the camp. There is a lot of things we take for granted that a service man/women really appreciate so much more out of the field.

Believe it or not...baby wipes is a life saver to any soldier out in the field/deployment.

As long as it means something to them (perhaps a friendship memory) and it isn't sunscreen, chap stick or bug spray you'll be fine. They'll get more of that than they'll ever need from random care packages form schools, churches, veterans groups etc.