What's new

Barbershop shave soap?

Just scored some vintage mystery soap off of EBay (it came with a strop I purchased, and also included a well used brush that will be seeing some resto work as well...).

Anyhow, it (the mug anyhow, and the brush) say simply "Barbershop" on it, with the tagline "old time luxury".

I washed the puck off well, and then gave it a run through the cheese grater and milled it into the bottom of the mug. The slick feel, and the resulting test lather certainly make me think that this is a tallow soap. The scent is rather faint and neutral/soapy.

Anybody else come across, or know anything about this brand?

1st shave is tomorrow a.m.

:smile:

Shave was very nice. Not much scent, but thick rich lather as per expectations!

P.S.- I did not use that brush! Looks a bit too funky for this monkey!

I split a lot sale (15 pucks) of this soap on the bay with a friend.

It does have tallow and coconut oil in it. (found an ebay auction that listed these as being in the soap according to the packaging insert for a box set)

Was available in almond, american blue, and original scent.

Manufacter listed is Franklin toiletry Company Inc ,76 Ninth ave, New York NY 10011

Mine had an old JCPenny pricetag of 4 dollars.
image below from this expired ebay auction.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Outstanding, Superbleu!!!!

Coconut! that was the faint smell I was picking up, and couldn't quite place it.

How do you like the soap? As I said, my first impression was a nice one.:smile:

I've got that mug and brush. I got them as a gift set with the brush and razor stand back in 1982 when I was a senior in high school. I replaced the pure bristle nylon brush with a pure badger brush of the same brand. That's great soap too, I believe the lime scented version of that soap came with my gift set. Too bad you can't buy it anymore.

Clayton

I just won another auction for more of this little known soap.

Certainly a lot less painful than shopping for vintage Yardley's!:eek:

Outstanding, Superbleu!!!!

Coconut! that was the faint smell I was picking up, and couldn't quite place it.

How do you like the soap? As I said, my first impression was a nice one.:smile:

I have only used it a couple times, but it lathered like a champ and I got a great shave while using.

The scents have faded and I don't get much of a aroma from the original scent. I haven't used the American blue or Almond yet, but I smell very little of anything from within the box.

I have only used it a couple times, but it lathered like a champ and I got a great shave while using.

The scents have faded and I don't get much of a aroma from the original scent. I haven't used the American blue or Almond yet, but I smell very little of anything from within the box.

Hold on just a second.......

Hold on one cotton pickin' second there Mr. Superbleu!

Fisrt you tell me you scored multiple pucks of this soap, and then you tell me you've only used it a couple of times?

proxy.php

I demand answers!

Hold on just a second.......

Hold on one cotton pickin' second there Mr. Superbleu!

Fisrt you tell me you scored multiple pucks of this soap, and then you tell me you've only used it a couple of times?

proxy.php

I demand answers!
What can I say, I have a rather large rotation of soaps and creams.
And that photo is the other half of the ebay booty(the boxes on the left), not mine, though it looks similar.

What can I say, I have a rather large rotation of soaps and creams.
And that photo is the other half of the ebay booty(the boxes on the left), not mine, though it looks similar.

Yeah, I only found your partner-in-crime's pic:wink:.

Could you post a list, or pic of the ingredients from the Barbershop box?

The performance is top notch. But there is little to no scent at all to mine. I was thinking to re-mill it with some Trumper's shavings or something to give it some pizazz/aroma.

Picked up that same "Barbershop" mug in an antique store about a month age.

No soap however.:frown:

Nuked about 4 pucks of VDH into the bowl.

Saw allot of sparks fly when it was in the Microwave oven.

Guess it is not really microwave safe.:cool:

Still a good looking mug.

Picked up that same "Barbershop" mug in an antique store about a month age.

No soap however.:frown:

Nuked about 4 pucks of VDH into the bowl.

Saw allot of sparks fly when it was in the Microwave oven.

Guess it is not really microwave safe.:cool:

Still a good looking mug.

HA!:lol:

Any mug or container that has metallic on it (ala the gold rim) will make your microwave go Chernobyl on you!

Top Bottom