What's new

eBay Winner

I'm confused...you point to a thread that shows examples of previous President sales and the highest price paid is $206., yet you then say the $515. razor price is justified! I guess with that logic, the Gillette 195 for $995. is not so high after all LOL.

Really, the $995 for the 195 isn't that high. If it was some other seller I would think it would have sold long ago.

Anyway, congrats on the Prez, Ray!

Just to to clear the air, I am the buyer of the President. Yes the price is more than I would have wished it to be but this is by far the cleanest and complete set I have ever seen. This is for a collection only, not your everyday shaver. What some folks fail to realize is that a collection such as mine is an investment and will only go up over the years.
Yes this was a gap in my collection. Ram knows what my collection is like and this needed to be added.
Some people collect stamps (why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for a little square piece of paper is beyond me...:wink2:), I collect razors, Gillettes to be exact.
The fact that this set has the box (minus a tab) the booklet and the original price loop sets the bar much higher than just the razor and case.

Thanks for the comments, oh and yes was just about a mortgage payment....:biggrin:

+1 to that!!

I think price sometimes becomes irrelevant when you want an item. Probably we wouldn't pay that much for a razor... but I'm sure we'll do for something we are really passionate about.

In my case, I love old cars, and I just remember when I bought my first brand new car(I still remember the 1.2 miles it came with), a Peugeot 206RC (nice little monster), the same year I bought a 1947 Desoto, for which I paid nearly U$3000 more than the Peugeot. Crazy might seem, probably... but the feeling of having something with such history, something I know no matter how much money I have, I'm not going to be able to go and buy brand new, that is what makes it so special.

Congratulations to the Buyer, I know that razor will be really good taken care of.

Finally... I just wanted to post a Pic. of the Desoto, not mine, because I'm abroad at the moment, but the same model and the one It was based on for its Restoration.

And if you ask me: I would buy it again, to me is pure beauty!

proxy.php

AsylumGuido says above that the 195 offered by PTSBR is worth the $995 price. Yet on a separate 195 thread for the same razor, he has a reply, dated 8/4/09, where he figures $500. is top price for one in excellent to near mint shape...and I quote: "I sold one for around $230. It was well used though. A nice excellent to near mint one would easily be worth $400-$500 based solely upon scarcity. They were never released to the general public."
Looks like Asylum's own estimate doubled in only three weeks!!! Kind of shows that no one is an expert on pricing vintage razors.
Again, I feel that some members of this site condone paying high prices for a razor if it's a B&B member and then flame another buyer who would pay the same high price for a razor who doesn't belong to B&B. That other buyer would be called a sucker, etc. The same applies to any member who puts down eBay in B&B forums and then later is found selling razors on the Bay...double standards and hypocrisy as far as I'm concerned.

Congrats to both buyers. I have been learning eBay lately and won two bids for "vintage" razors myself, neither one of the quality and collectable nature of the two in this thread. I was following both the razors above but they were out of my league. I was looking for an every day tool not a collectors item. Seems to me prices are rising fast for all Gillette razors on eBay, especially the collectables.

The second razor I bought mostly by mistake. I was trying to get a + $.50 bid in in the last 30 seconds and did not watch my decimal point. I don't think any one was going over what I entered in error, thank goodness I got the razor ( a 1946-47 Aristocrat in very good condition ) for $39 because I could have gotten hit for much more. I know I will be a great deal more careful and learn the bidding tools better before I jump in there again.

Just got my 1963 (I-2) Slim Adjustable today. It has no marks, mars, blemishes or discoloration that I can see and it seems to work perfectly. I hope the two winners above are as pleased as I am when they get their new razors. Have to go make sure I got all the Scrubbing Bubbles off and get ready to shave.

Bid on... but carefully,

Mitch

Last edited:
Well mate, you took it out of context, he said easily. As you see, he doesn't say 500 is the top price for that given razor.
On the other hand, I think We all, or at least most, disagree on paying high price for razors that shouldn't IE: Slims passed as Fatboys, or razors advertised as mint, where they're obviously not.
Anyway, take it as you like.

AsylumGuido says above that the 195 offered by PTSBR is worth the $995 price. Yet on a separate 195 thread for the same razor, he has a reply, dated 8/4/09, where he figures $500. is top price for one in excellent to near mint shape...and I quote: "I sold one for around $230. It was well used though. A nice excellent to near mint one would easily be worth $400-$500 based solely upon scarcity. They were never released to the general public."
Looks like Asylum's own estimate doubled in only three weeks!!! Kind of shows that no one is an expert on pricing vintage razors.
Again, I feel that some members of this site condone paying high prices for a razor if it's a B&B member and then flame another buyer who would pay the same high price for a razor who doesn't belong to B&B. That other buyer would be called a sucker, etc. The same applies to any member who puts down eBay in B&B forums and then later is found selling razors on the Bay...double standards and hypocrisy as far as I'm concerned.

Just to to clear the air, I am the buyer of the President. Yes the price is more than I would have wished it to be but this is by far the cleanest and complete set I have ever seen. This is for a collection only, not your everyday shaver. What some folks fail to realize is that a collection such as mine is an investment and will only go up over the years.
Yes this was a gap in my collection. Ram knows what my collection is like and this needed to be added.
Some people collect stamps (why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for a little square piece of paper is beyond me...:wink2:), I collect razors, Gillettes to be exact.
The fact that this set has the box (minus a tab) the booklet and the original price loop sets the bar much higher than just the razor and case.

Thanks for the comments, oh and yes was just about a mortgage payment....:biggrin:

Ray, I feel you AD pain. I just paid $280.00 for a fountain pen! I say, if you want it and can afford it, go for it.:001_smile

Hi Ray

I'm glad to hear that beautiful President set found it's way into a good home and into a great vintage Gillette collection. I know I have paid too much for some of my vintage Gillette, but on the other hand I have gotten some great deals on others. The good deals help to balance out the total cost of the entire collection. Anyway congratulations again on a great find, well done! :thumbup1:

Last edited:

As you clearly pointed out, I said that an excellent to near mint one would easily be worth $400-$500 basely solely upon scarcity. I can also easily see it going for twice that based upon other circumstances. The one I sold was well used. I would have only graded it at Very Good at the best. The one listed for $995 is as close to mint as one can get.

I have never flamed anyone for paying a high price on ebay or on B&B. Every buyer has their own means and motive. I am more likely to flame a flamer. The vast majority of buyers are Users looking for a tool to remove stubble. A minority are Collectors who are constantly in search of pieces to further complete or upgrade a collection. The perception of value differs greatly between these two groups.

As you clearly pointed out, I said that an excellent to near mint one would easily be worth $400-$500 basely solely upon scarcity. I can also easily see it going for twice that based upon other circumstances. The one I sold was well used. I would have only graded it at Very Good at the best. The one listed for $995 is as close to mint as one can get.

I have never flamed anyone for paying a high price on ebay or on B&B. Every buyer has their own means and motive. I am more likely to flame a flamer. The vast majority of buyers are Users looking for a tool to remove stubble. A minority are Collectors who are constantly in search of pieces to further complete or upgrade a collection. The perception of value differs greatly between these two groups.

And this is why Guido is our Razor Expert Extraordinaire! Not only is he knowledgeable, he's a true gentleman.

Congrats Ray, worth every penny. Enjoy:thumbup1:
Guys like Ray & AsylumGuido have been invaluable resource @ B&B in guiding alot of us, in setting a guidline as to the value of what a vintage razor can or might be worth through many discussions in the various threads

Last edited:
Congratulations Ray! I, like you, am into Harleys. Unfortunately, this seriously impedes my ability to purchase razors. I can certainly understand paying for that "crucial" piece in a collection and I am glad this piece wound up with you. :wink:

I don't get it. I acquired 4 razors (2 of which were Gillette New) for 15 dollars.

Is the case worth the additional 90? I guess.
This particular razor is:
* Mint condition
* probably never been used (aka NOS)
* Has the original carton
* Has the original blade box (probably containing the original unused blades)

Yes, you got a great deal on a couple shave-quality razors. This is not a shave quality razor.

ctakim said:
Buying a NOS razor is much like religion, for those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who don't no explanation is possible.

I was going to make a bid on this one but it was all ready over what I could pay for it. There was another president in pretty minty condition with all the extras (minus the $5 tag) that went for like $250 just a few days earlier. I didn't bid on that one because this one looked more mint and the better choice if spending good money, so thought maybe I could get it for a slightly higher price. I knew it'd go for over $300 but didn't realize it'd go so high, it was cool to see the bids afterwards. I'm just a newb but from my research I'm not sure how common it is to see one in that quality, only NOS could be better (which this basically seems to be), congrats to Ray! :)

Top Bottom