What's new

Buying a used brush...

I know there are some pretty smart doctor types who post here. Any recommendations or precautions to be taken when it comes to cleaning up a used brush/razor for use? I'll bet not all of us have access to an autoclave.

Here's a thread started by one of them - good info on using Barbicide to clean a brush. The pics are gone, unfortunately, but the words give a good description. No autoclave required.

I not the squeamish type, but it seems to me that in this age of nasty blood borne pathogens that prudence would be the proper course of action. Not just brushes but with razors as well.

I know there are some pretty smart doctor types who post here. Any recommendations or precautions to be taken when it comes to cleaning up a used brush/razor for use? I'll bet not all of us have access to an autoclave.

When people talk about "bloodborne pathogens" they are generally concerned about three viruses: HIV, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C. (These are not the only pathogens that can be transmitted by blood, but they are the ones people are most concerned about.)

1. HIV. HIV is an enveloped virus that is pretty fragile outside of the body. Enveloped viruses, in general, don't like to be dried out. Most of them are replication incompetent once they are fully dessicated. HIV might be able to survive outside the body for 45 minutes to an hour. After that it's toast. So a shaving brush is going to be a highly unlikely way to get HIV. HIV transmission risk is only about 0.3% even with needlestick inoculation of blood from an infected patient.

2. Hepatitis B. Hep B virus is also enveloped, although somewhat hardier than HIV. I think this would also be unlikely to be replication competent by the time the brush shipped to your door. Risk of infection with direct inoculation is highest with this agent, but it maximizes at about 30% when a needlestick injury is obtained from a person with the most highly active disease.

3. Hepatitis C. This has now been classified as a flavivirus, which means that it, too, has a glycoprotein envelope. Studies about survival outside the host are lacking, but presumably once the envelope dries out completely infection risk would approach zero. Risk of infection is approximately 3% even with inoculation of blood from an infected patient (i.e., needlestick injury).

In short, I'd say the risk of acquiring a bloodborne pathogen from a used shaving brush is pretty danged low.

In the grand scheme of things, I worry much more about being in a car accident than I do about whether someone else has used my brush in the past. I believe mdunn said much the same upthread and I am in total agreement. I have never heard of anyone contracting anything from a used brush and given the odds of other dangerous things I do daily, I choose not to devote any energy to worrying about my brushes' history.

I'ed be more worried about my toothbrush sitting on the bathroom counter, oh and how many bacteria do you guy's figure you got hanging out in your refrigerator. The human bodies immune system is pretty tough. I use a second hand brush. I soaked it in a vineger and water solution, and then barbacide, then I shampooed and conditioned it. I have been using it for two years with no ill effects.

Clayton

This is a wonderful thread as it brings out the quirks in our members. This isn't about evidence or science, but personal preference. Let me ask you, after one has taken a used brush, soaked it in alcohol, or barbicide (I actually read this is not the best soak for the brush's health), or vinegar, or Em's method of cleaning

http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm) do you think its any more sterile than a new Badger or Boar (read Pig) brush was shipped from the factory?

If buying used brush makes you feel uncomfortable then don't do it. Its not about being macho or finicky or whatever . . . its just a personal preference. I trade brushes with my wet shaving buddy all the time. Its not big deal - for me, but others may feel less comfortable. There are so many economical new brushes out there. Do what makes you happy.

Thanks Kingfisher! I still like the idea of Barbacide! It will kill HIV and the rest and I just like that idea. I also sit the brush in direct sunlight in the summer if I possible can to really dry it out and let the UV do its work.

Take Care,
Richard

When people talk about "bloodborne pathogens" they are generally concerned about three viruses: HIV, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C. (These are not the only pathogens that can be transmitted by blood, but they are the ones people are most concerned about.)

1. HIV. HIV is an enveloped virus that is pretty fragile outside of the body. Enveloped viruses, in general, don't like to be dried out. Most of them are replication incompetent once they are fully dessicated. HIV might be able to survive outside the body for 45 minutes to an hour. After that it's toast. So a shaving brush is going to be a highly unlikely way to get HIV. HIV transmission risk is only about 0.3% even with needlestick inoculation of blood from an infected patient.

2. Hepatitis B. Hep B virus is also enveloped, although somewhat hardier than HIV. I think this would also be unlikely to be replication competent by the time the brush shipped to your door. Risk of infection with direct inoculation is highest with this agent, but it maximizes at about 30% when a needlestick injury is obtained from a person with the most highly active disease.

3. Hepatitis C. This has now been classified as a flavivirus, which means that it, too, has a glycoprotein envelope. Studies about survival outside the host are lacking, but presumably once the envelope dries out completely infection risk would approach zero. Risk of infection is approximately 3% even with inoculation of blood from an infected patient (i.e., needlestick injury).

In short, I'd say the risk of acquiring a bloodborne pathogen from a used shaving brush is pretty danged low.

Thanks doctor. Your advice is appreciated.

Top Bottom