What's new

Nick in my Strop- How should I sand it?

D

doleeo

Well, yesterday morning, I seemed to have zoned out and put a nick in my SRD black latigo strop. It's a pretty good size one.

How should I go about sanding this? I tried using 220 grit and it didn't seem to do much.

Does it affect your stropping?

If not I would just leave it be.

I have used nicked up strops and have never had any ill effects.

does that cut go through the strop, or just into it a little?

If its getting in the way of your stropping, keep sanding it so its a little dip in the strop, otherwise just leave it

Doesn't look like there's a flap left if I'm looking at the picture correctly. It's more like you left a gouge in the strop than a nick. Unless it's affecting your stropping I would just leave it.

The bottom line is if you can feel it as you strop then it either needs to be repaired or you should avoid that area. If very fine sandpaper or a pumice stone can't take it out its probably too deep to remove.

D

doleeo

I sanded the problem area very heavily this weekend.

When I strop, I feel the gouge. However, the edge isn't getting caught on it. I guess I'll just have to use it a couple more times and see if it's affecting the edge.

Define fine sandpaper. What grit?

I have read 1000 grit or higher.

However, I can say that pumice works great. If there is none at home, they cost no more than $5 and that's for a fancy one, at wallyworld or any supermarket they are even less.

Top Bottom