What's new

Any B&B Picklers?

If so, any tips? I have an overabundance of cucumbers.

So far the wife and I have done a batch of bread and butters, and while we were at it I made the "firecracker" fridge pickled carrots from an Alton Brown recipe...those spicy baby carrots are addicting.

Had a little leftover pickling mixture, and we were putting together pulled pork sandwiches, the ingredients in the pickling mixture sounded familiar - cider vinegar, sugar, pepper flakes, onion powder...so it got mixed with the barbecue sauce. Results were awesome.

I pickle lots of stuff. Hint - use the leftover brine to pickle beets that have been roasted and sliced.

Hmmm....We were going to use the leftover brine for pickled garlic, rosemary and peppers. Sliced and roasted beets sound good, however.

My mom found a recipe for pickled eggs and beets that I love:

Buy a jar of beets from the store.
Drain the beets, reserving the liquid.
Hard-boil some eggs, then peel them.
Put the beet liquid in a pot. While heating, add vinegar and cloves to taste.
While the liquid is still hot, pour it over the beets and peeled eggs.
Let that sit in the fridge for a week or so, or until the purple has penetrated the eggs to your liking.

Yum.

For fans of olives who are also garlic lovers, here is a simple recipe that I use frequently. Open a jar of Spanish olives, and cut up a clove or two of fresh garlic on top of the olives. Replace the lid, and place upside down in the refrigerator for 24 hours. The garlic really compliments the flavor of the olives. I have substituted crushed garlic from a jar, but the fresh garlic seems to taste a little bit better.

For those of you who haven't tried them, I would also recommend olives stuffed with anchovy paste. A rather uniquely flavored treat. I have difficulty putting the can down once it is opened, and usually eat the whole can at one sitting. ( My waist is expanding, but my heart has to be healthy, right? Olive oil plus fish oil.) :001_tongu
You can find them in the Mexican foods section, or in the gourmet foods section of your store.

SolingenPreferred

I have no real tips. There are PLENTY of recipes out there. But! I do pickle Okra. Food of the gods. I take some Hungarian Wax Peppers (ripened until they are red) slice them up, garlic, and some sliced yellow onions(all grown in my garden) and put them in with the Okra. Brine is made out of white vinger, water, pickling salt, sugar and a dash of lemon juice. Can them in a pressure cooker and let sit for at least two weeks. They have a heat to them but just the right level.

Top Bottom