What's new

New Puma straight razors?

A couple of weeks ago I read a Dutch book on straight razor shaving. It mentioned a range of different razor makes, including Puma. According to the book Puma stopped producing straights ages ago. Which seems to be correct, according to some threads on SRP.

The interesting part to all this is that I have bought some products at Koordenwinkel, including a TI straight. I noticed a couple of weeks later on their site that they were offering new Puma straights (here). Which got me thinking... has Puma started producing new straight razors again? They certainly don't look as nice as the old ones, but they seem to be genuine, as I checked the official Puma website. According to Koordenwinkel they are all 1/2 hollow, but the official Puma website doesn't mention it. Anyway...

What do you think of these new production razors, just from the looks on the picture?
Does anyone on the boards own one and if so what sort of quality is it?

They've been turning up on ebay for a while now. I haven't seen a review yet. I have been in touch about a year ago with Puma about their razors and they told me their hollow grinder was beyond repair and their last grinder had retired 6 years ago. So I would not be surprised if Dovo or any other manufacturer makes those razors on Puma's behalf. IIRC they are half hollow ground.

The only thing you can be certain of is that there is absolutely no connection between the old Puma's and the new ones. if the new ones are quality products that's just a coincidence regardless of who makes them be it a Chinese Company or Dovo.

I have been checking that site regularly lately! I might go for a vintage Revisor, or that Dorko you pointed out. That site seems to offer a lot of mighty nice razors.

Yes the revisor razors also have a great reputation. But be careful to buy one of the old stock razors if you go down the revisor route.

Another site for reconditioned razors in Europe is

www.fine-razors.de

I have purchased two razors from Gabor in the past. I recondition and sharpen old razors myself and I totally respect the work Gabor puts into his razors.

The only thing you can be certain of is that there is absolutely no connection between the old Puma's and the new ones.
One connection: someone bought the trademark.
I see plenty for sale on eBay indeed and the nice thing about them is that they have nicer scale than the Vintage. I have not heard about anybody trying them on. I saw one comment on a French site comparing them to the new Filarmonicas, which were said to be bad.

Here it is claimed they are made in Solingen
http://www.royalshave.com/p/405-130-00/puma-straight-razor-rosewood-handle-936300.html

But then again, a lot of those rumors get repeated without them necessarily having any basis.
What it takes is for someone with a bit of extra cash on hand to take the plunge and try it.

Now that was easier when what we were talking about was a $40 Titan razor, that rosewood 6/8 Puma is $185.

The one I saw had Puma in gold lettering with the size and some german words on the blade. I dont recall seeing Solingen anywhere on it. He had another razor, not sure of the brand but had Solingen on the tang with gray and black marble looking plastic scales for 89. I didnt buy either one.

I gotta say the scales looked new but had the imprint of a number on it, It wasnt supposed to be there. They were cheap plastic scales too.

Sounds like you might have come across a NOS puma gold.
if it was a 5/8 or 6/8 it might have been worth the 200.
I bought a couple of NOS Pumas and they’re made in Solingen. They’re great. I have a Puma from the early 80s and it is THE BEST shaving razor in my rotation and I have some really nice razors.

I bought a couple of NOS Pumas and they’re made in Solingen. They’re great. I have a Puma from the early 80s and it is THE BEST shaving razor in my rotation and I have some really nice razors.
Puma stopped making their very good razors around 1980. The ones made today have no connection whatsoever to the genuine Puma razors.

The one in my current rotation is a No9 and given to me by my Father In Law who was a barber along with his father. Neither of them could sharpen it to shave ready at the time probably around 1980 but, all they was a barber hone which is all either of them ever had. It was all I had until about 10 years ago when I bought Naniwas. I got it out a while back and sharpened it up to hanging hair sharp and it is the smoothest straight razor shave I've ever had. I hope the two NOS I just bought shave as well. I guess I'll know soon enough.

Top Bottom