What's new

What if I don't get a job? I think I might have a solution...

How long should I wait for a job? One month? Two months? Since this is the first professional job I am seeking; I'm kind of in the dark about this.

Also, if I don't get a job soon, I'm considering joining AmeriCorps. Are there any volunteers or former volunteers at B&B?

AmeriCorps certainly could be a good option -- consult the career services folks at your undergrad institution. As for the current job search, be patient, persistent, and willing to start at the bottom and work your way up. Given your medical interests, a bit of training may help, as well (nurse's aide certification, etc.). I know it's beneath where you were in med school, but you need something to make you stand out from the crowd in the current environment. Good luck!

How old are you? Ever consider serving in the military?

I'm 23, and the military is definitely an option. This is isn't an excuse, but my parents and other family members are concerned aka scared because I'm the only child for my parents. I've always felt that there are millions of other only children that serve in the military, why should I be any more important than them? I was in Air Force ROTC for a year during undergrad (was medically DQed due to a broken ankle acquired during PT) and I liked it a lot. Again, military service is definitely an option.

I'm 23, and the military is definitely an option. This is isn't an excuse, but my parents and other family members are concerned aka scared because I'm the only child for my parents. I've always felt that there are millions of other only children that serve in the military, why should I be any more important than them? I was in Air Force ROTC for a year during undergrad (was medically DQed due to a broken ankle acquired during PT) and I liked it a lot. Again, military service is definitely an option.

:cool:

I'm not sure how long people are looking for first jobs these days but it's a tough economy. I can tell you that it's not unusual to go as long as a year between jobs these days, especially if your skills are specialized. So hang in there.

Don't sign some long contract with the army just out of frustration for not being able to find the job you want, that's for sure.

I graduated from university over a year ago and still haven't found anything decent which utilizes my degree, I think a lot of us just have to ride this out, they say that something like 40% of university graduates over the past couple of years are still unable to find any work in their field and have to make do with joe jobs.

Don't wait for a job, keep looking until you find one. It's tough to get your first one, persist and you will find one. I look at jobs much like I look at prospective girlfriends: any one of them would be lucky to have me.

If you aren't already doing so, keep up or re-establish as many contacts with college and high school buds as you can. I know, most of them are probably in the same straits, but those that have jobs arguably are working for employers that have hired someone in the last year.

Establish a LinkedIn identity if you haven't already. I'll add you to my contacts. :smile:

- Chris

If you aren't already doing so, keep up or re-establish as many contacts with college and high school buds as you can. I know, most of them are probably in the same straits, but those that have jobs arguably are working for employers that have hired someone in the last year.

Establish a LinkedIn identity if you haven't already. I'll add you to my contacts. :smile:

- Chris

Already LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/krsivaraman

This may not seem like advice right now, but it is always easier to find a job when you have a job. Keep that for later in life. As others have pointed out, the first one is the hardest. Good luck on the search.

How long should I wait for a job? One month? Two months? Since this is the first professional job I am seeking; I'm kind of in the dark about this.

It could be many months to a year or more. I know people with experience who have gone that long and in the process sent out many hundreds of resumes.

Top Bottom