What's new

How do you expand the hole in a brush handle?

How do you guys do this? With what tools?
And also, how do you make it so that the hole is nice and smooth?
Thanks

You could clamp the brush handle in a vise and enlarge the hole with a forstner bit in a drill press or you could use a dremel tool with a carving burr.
You get a nice neat hole by the application of skill.

I ended up buying a rotating rasp. I placed my brush handle in a padded vice and went to town with my drill. It worked fairly well.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have done it several times, the last time in a restoration for a brush for Maher:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103859

But be CAREFULLY!! I use a special centering vise designed for drilling my pen and brush handle blanks. The handle in question is wrapped in a thin, rubber-like padding material, so the handle is not damaged and cannot spin during the drilling. Use Forstner bits, they come in all kinds of sizes, it is hard to find metric bits here in the USA, though. I use the best matching fractional size. The trick is to have the hole to be enlarged perfectly centered under the bit. Then slowly drill out the hole, I use a speed of about 400-500 rpm in the drill-press. I would not tackle this with a hand-held drill!
Do not try to use Spade bits for enlarging a hole, does not work well, don't ask me how I know:biggrin:

If a hole is still a tad too small after drilled out with the best matching bit size, I use a micro sanding drum from a Dremel tool with an appropriate grit sanding sleeve. This is held in a hand-held drill since I feel I have better control over it than with the Dremel.

Top Bottom