What's new

Musgo Real

Did not find a review of Musgo Real ... Was curious to Your Thoughts on the the MR Shave Cream before I purchase ... Thanks ...

NO one has reviewed Musgo Real? REALLY?
This is a cream that has been a favorite on the forums for years. I am quite surprised to find out it hasn't been reviewed.
Essentially some love it (me, for instance) and others hate it. This is in large part due to several reformulations of the cream that were made, first one with lanolin, then a newer one without, and then another with... I think the current one is with.
Some have claimed it gummed up their brushes (I've not had this problem although some versions take longer to rinse) and others react to lanolin.
Personally? I HIGHLY recommend it.
Very good stuff.
Perhaps will post a review soon with pics, although mine are not the newest formulation, I think.
John P.

MR was the first cream I bought. I used the whole tube up quite a while ago. Good stuff, nice scent, and no problems with my brush. I've since found many others that I like better, so I don't see myself ordering it again any time soon. Not that that should persuade you not to buy it.

You are correct.
Musgo Real is made by Claus Porto, in, well, Portugal.
I have remedied the no Musgo Real review issue.
See my review with some (admittedly bad) pics HERE:

Hopefully it will answer some of your questions.
I say pull the trigger if you are considering it, and if you do not like it (which I doubt will happen) post it. I doubt it will last long.
John P.

I actually like the stuff a great deal. Sort of like Proraso, but without the cooling, and much better smelling. Ok, that makes it not really like Proraso at all, except for being green, european, and good. Smell is unusual. Very barbershopy. Some describe it as grassy, which is not so far off. Shaves great. Also, one of the best brushless options out there, if that interests you.

Obviously I don't agree with Tim about the cream, but I do agree that the aftershave is good stuff, and the #2 Oak Moss cologne is really fantastic stuff....

-Mo

I find the cream to be outstanding! I always start this cream on the dry side and slowly work water in. If you over hydrate this cream it will look OK but its wonderful quality's become moot.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Just used Musgo Real cream this morning. This is without a doubt one of my top three creams. I agree with Goosemeplease that the cream needs to start on the dry side and work in some more water as needed. I love the scent and the great lather. Of course YMMV. I'd suggest a purchase and if you don't like it...well it shouldn't be hard to sell on the forums.

Patrick

You are correct.
Musgo Real is made by Claus Porto, in, well, Portugal.
I have remedied the no Musgo Real review issue.
See my review with some (admittedly bad) pics HERE:

Hopefully it will answer some of your questions.
I say pull the trigger if you are considering it, and if you do not like it (which I doubt will happen) post it. I doubt it will last long.
John P.

Thanks for getting a review up so quickly. Just read it, great job.

I actually like the stuff a great deal. Sort of like Proraso, but without the cooling, and much better smelling. Ok, that makes it not really like Proraso at all, except for being green, european, and good. Smell is unusual. Very barbershopy. Some describe it as grassy, which is not so far off. Shaves great. Also, one of the best brushless options out there, if that interests you.

Obviously I don't agree with Tim about the cream, but I do agree that the aftershave is good stuff, and the #2 Oak Moss cologne is really fantastic stuff....

-Mo

This is why I find Musgo only nominal... It smells like I'm shaving with fresh cut grass IMO. The shave itself is fine, but I just don't care for the scent.

I find the cream to be outstanding! I always start this cream on the dry side and slowly work water in. If you over hydrate this cream it will look OK but its wonderful quality's become moot.
Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks I guess. I like Musgo with a bit more water, as I feel I get a closer cut.
Either way its very good. Perhaps I'll start trying it drier than I usually do just to try it out.
Either way don't miss out on this one IMHO.
John P.

This is why I find Musgo only nominal... It smells like I'm shaving with fresh cut grass IMO. The shave itself is fine, but I just don't care for the scent.

Yeah, to each his own. If it really smelled like fresh cut grass, I would probably use nothing else, especially in summer (or when wishing for summer). Since it is only a reminder, I only quite like it.

-Mo

Edit: I sorta forgot that I am currently B&B's one and only MUSGO MONSTER! So I guess it is good I like the stuff. MUSGO FOREVER! FOR EVERYONE!

People saying that it smells like grass has really piqued my curiousity. This sounds like something I might enjoy and will probably look to buy when the funds are available.

People saying that it smells like grass has really piqued my curiousity. This sounds like something I might enjoy and will probably look to buy when the funds are available.

I don't know if cut grass is entirely correct... even though I was the one who made that comment. It is just the closest thing I think of when I've shaved with it. It is definitely a grassy/earthy scent scent though, it does give good shave though.

FYI... I was just in Colonial Drug a few days ago, and saw a pile of tubes... with more Musgo stuff on the way (but then, they ALWAYS say that! :biggrin: )

Josh

Top Bottom