What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Nice pick up. I've used my Griddle quite often since getting it. French toast, eggs, fried rice, and many more things.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, Bruce.

Have you found you have to use quite a bit of oil to keep things from sticking? I'm hoping I'll be able to use it for healthier things, grilling vegetables, etc.

Thanks, Bruce.

Have you found you have to use quite a bit of oil to keep things from sticking? I'm hoping I'll be able to use it for healthier things, grilling vegetables, etc.
Not much actually. It seems like it starts to season itself a bit after a few uses, if that's possible. When I grill onions or peppers on it, I usually don't have to oil the griddle as the veggies usually have a drizzling of EVOO on them.

Or once it gets nice and hot, whatever I am cooking usually has natural oils or greases in it, to keep stuff from sticking.

I always make sure not to start cooking until its very hot. Since picking up my 1/2 size, I added one for my kettle and am considering a full sized one too.

Many of my recent meals in the BBQ pic thread now feature the griddle!

Here is the thread I started when I was seriosuly considering one, after years of lusting after them...

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=401199
Griddle-Q decisions, need some help & suggesions

Last edited:
I picked up an old Wagner skillet last week from an antique mall. Poor thing; it looked so lonely hanging there with a $19.99 price tag and wearing a sticky coating of food grade axle grease.
$IMG_0566.jpg$IMG_0567.jpg
Fortunately her most serious problem appeared to be the seasoning. No crack or dents - A nice flat bottom which, in a skillet, is desirable. And only very minor pitting - I tend to think of them as 'dimples' - on her bottom. A few hours soaking in Easy Off, a vigorous scrubbing, and three carefully applied coating of Manteca Aromatic Seasoning Compound - a highly specialized restoration product worth searching for - and the old gal is starting to look a lot better.
$IMG_0568.jpg$IMG_0569.jpg
Full recovery will be accomplished on a diet of bacon, cornbread and tenderloins.
Near as I can figure based on the descriptions of trademarks on this website http://www.castironcollector.com/ the old gal is about to start her second century if she hasn't already. And it's true, they don't make them like that anymore. She weighs 3/4 of a pound less than my 20-year-old Lodge of the same size.

I picked up an old Wagner skillet last week from an antique mall. Poor thing; it looked so lonely hanging there with a $19.99 price tag and wearing a sticky coating of food grade axle grease.
View attachment 499231View attachment 499232
Fortunately her most serious problem appeared to be the seasoning. No crack or dents - A nice flat bottom which, in a skillet, is desirable. And only very minor pitting - I tend to think of them as 'dimples' - on her bottom. A few hours soaking in Easy Off, a vigorous scrubbing, and three carefully applied coating of Manteca Aromatic Seasoning Compound - a highly specialized restoration product worth searching for - and the old gal is starting to look a lot better.
View attachment 499233View attachment 499234
Full recovery will be accomplished on a diet of bacon, cornbread and tenderloins.
Near as I can figure based on the descriptions of trademarks on this website http://www.castironcollector.com/ the old gal is about to start her second century if she hasn't already. And it's true, they don't make them like that anymore. She weighs 3/4 of a pound less than my 20-year-old Lodge of the same size.
great looking skillet. thanks for sharing the cast iron collector web link as well:thumbup1:

Thanks. I'm really impressed with the old gals performance so far. As to the link, I was just passing it on from DoctorShavegood who gave it to me in another Mess Hall post about another old pan I have. I think I'm getting hooked on old iron. Just going through the cabinets and cupboards I've found we've acquired by hand-me-down an Iron Mountain (Griswold) Chicken Pan, a Griswold Lamb Cake Mold, and four other pieces of Wagner and Wagner Ware including a Baking Pan along with a bunch of modern Lodge and one or two Taiwan pieces. I suppose my wife and I were 'accidental' collectors until I bought this skillet. Now I guess we'll start pursuing old iron with deliberation because it really does some great things with foods we like and the difference between the old hand-cast and modern automated cast iron is very evident.

Thanks. I'm really impressed with the old gals performance so far. As to the link, I was just passing it on from DoctorShavegood who gave it to me in another Mess Hall post about another old pan I have. I think I'm getting hooked on old iron. Just going through the cabinets and cupboards I've found we've acquired by hand-me-down an Iron Mountain (Griswold) Chicken Pan, a Griswold Lamb Cake Mold, and four other pieces of Wagner and Wagner Ware including a Baking Pan along with a bunch of modern Lodge and one or two Taiwan pieces. I suppose my wife and I were 'accidental' collectors until I bought this skillet. Now I guess we'll start pursuing old iron with deliberation because it really does some great things with foods we like and the difference between the old hand-cast and modern automated cast iron is very evident.
I better not start down that path or I might get it trouble with swmbo....but I am looking at the path:laugh:

I've been waiting almost a month to post this one! I found this at an auction house in Ohio, and it's taken this long to get the shipping worked out, but well worth the wait. 22.5 WSM that out the door shipped and all I got for about $110! We have a BBQ comp this weekend so it will be at least a week before I can get it fired up, but I can't wait to load her up!! For size comparison, it's next to my 18.5.

Attachments

• $photo 1.JPG
    $photo 1.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 125
  • $photo 2.JPG
    $photo 2.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 124

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I could not believe it when SWMBO said we needed another De Buyer pan. YES she has finally seen the light. She was using my De Buyer to cook something the other day and was amazed how non stick it was and it gave a nice crisp brown to what she was cooking.
Not to miss a beat I jumped in the car straight away and got another 24cm/ 9.5 Inch pan. I asked her before I went, if she wanted a crepe pan, she did not so just the frying pan it was. Got home and she was disappointed I had not got the crepe pan. So back I went and got the 24cm/9.5inch crepe pan as well.

I should have applied the B&B motto of get both in the first place. :lol:

$20141018_154445.jpg

Last edited:
I could not believe it when SWMBO said we needed another De Buyer pan. YES she has finally seen the light. She was using my De Buyer to cook something the other day and was amassed how now stick it was and it gave a nice crisp brown to what she was cooking.
Not to miss a beat I jumped in the car straight away and got another 24cm/ 9.5 Inch pan. I asked her before I went, if she wanted a crepe pan, she did not so just the frying pan it was. Got home and she was disappointed I had not got the crepe pan. So back I went and got the 24cm/9.5inch crepe pan as well.

I should have applied the B&B motto of get both in the first place. :lol:
I'm almost ashamed to say, I know nothing about these pans. We are always looking for good quality, non-teflon/t-fal fry pans (we have Cast Iron too), for quick cooks and use.

I'll have to check these out, but they look amazing.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm almost ashamed to say, I know nothing about these pans. We are always looking for good quality, non-teflon/t-fal fry pans (we have Cast Iron too), for quick cooks and use.

I'll have to check these out, but they look amazing.
They will never look like this again. They go black with use as the seasoning develops. I think that is what my wife took some getting use to.
I pop out the little rubber thing on the handle and they can go straight from the stove top to in side the oven.
They are lighter than cast iron. So cool down quicker than cast iron. If you are going stove top to inside oven that is a good thing.
Here is a video of the seasoning they take over time. I just wish I knew about these years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wish I knew about these years ago.

Thanks for the video and info. In fact, I love the way cast iron seasons as well as my BBQ Griddles and our Pizza Stones, so we could get over that.

Going from Stove to Oven is very useful and they appear to not be too overpriced if they are as good as the reviews (and yourself say), which I have no doubt they are.

We have a couple of these "Green Cuisine", which aren't cheap, and only last a year or two and then start sticking and you can't use metal utensils in them. My wife is eyeing up a few replacments for them, so these DeDuyer's will be on my radar. Even looks like our costco.ca online sell a few of the "BLACK STEEL" ones up here. Time to investigate.

Much, much, appreciated!

Last edited:
I could not believe it when SWMBO said we needed another De Buyer pan. YES she has finally seen the light. She was using my De Buyer to cook something the other day and was amazed how non stick it was and it gave a nice crisp brown to what she was cooking.
Not to miss a beat...

:lol:

8", 9.5" and 11" pans ordered. I couldn't resist and my said we needed some, so I jumped online as quick as I could and ordered all three.

Thanks for the tip and backed by Costco, it's a no-risk purchase.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
8", 9.5" and 11" pans ordered. I couldn't resist and my said we needed some, so I jumped online as quick as I could and ordered all three.

Thanks for the tip and backed by Costco, it's a no-risk purchase.
you move quick Bruce. I hope you enjoy your new pans as much as I do. Let us know after you have used them a few time your thoughts.

Top Bottom