What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Couldn't convince SWMBO to spring for a BGE but I did manage to get an okay on a Char-Griller Akorn. It is a Kamado-style double-insulated steel "egg".

Couldn't convince SWMBO to spring for a BGE but I did manage to get an okay on a Char-Griller Akorn. It is a Kamado-style double-insulated steel "egg".

I have to say I love my Big Green Egg. I got mine for a really good price at a BBQ place that was going out of business. Even at full retail, I'd buy another in a heart beat. Can't beat doing a 20 hr cook without ever have to add more wood, or even having to lift the hood. Fantastic investment.

I have to say I love my Big Green Egg. I got mine for a really good price at a BBQ place that was going out of business. Even at full retail, I'd buy another in a heart beat. Can't beat doing a 20 hr cook without ever have to add more wood, or even having to lift the hood. Fantastic investment.

I would have agree but the investment in our son's college fund trumps the BGE experience. Hopefully will get the Akorn assembled this weekend in order to put it through its paces.

I would have agree but the investment in our son's college fund trumps the BGE experience. Hopefully will get the Akorn assembled this weekend in order to put it through its paces.

I have a Vision Ceramic grill and it's been awesome for a couple years now. BGE get's all the glory and talk on the net, but all of these ceramic type cookers (Stainless, Ceramic etc) all good well and are fun to use.

Be sure to post some pics when you get it assembled.

What is planned for the first cook? I think we did Baby Back Ribs on ours, they are pretty fail safe.

I have a Char-Griller Kamado grill and I love it. It has worked well for me and will hold the heat for quit some time. Took some getting used to as far as getting the temp down to a slow and low cooking pace. But with a little practice and patience it works wonders. Happy Grilling!

$masterbuilt_smoker_thumb.jpg

Did not know whether to put this in the TBS stickied thread or this one. The rest of you all are blowing me away equipment-wise in both threads!

Anyway, "a poor thing, Sir, but mine own." That is a crappy cell phone photo of a 30-inch Masterbuilt electric dorm-fridge-type smoker I got for Christmas, with serving platter of two examples of the output on top--some Polish sausage and a turkey breast--both already "in use" and not fresh out of the smoker, unfortunately. Also, a 25-foot, 12 gauge electric extension cord from Harbor Freight Tools, a nice thing to have when using this smoker.

I am very happy with this piece of equipment. I frankly primarily had in mind mostly smoking pork belly for bacon, under what is apparently the States, not the rest of the world, regime of hot smoking the pork belly, after curing, to an internal 150 degrees. This unit works magnificiantly for that. Also excellent, as far as my experience goes, I have not used any other smoker, with pork butt for bbq pulled pork. The turkey breast has been an unexpected pleasure. The Polish sausage probably needs an addition to make this a more effective smoker at a lower temperature.

I did not get the version of this that has a remote read temperature sensor. An "aftermarket" Maverick dual probe is probably in order, and will probably be better and cheaper than getting a built in remote read thermometer in the first instance. Of course, a real sausage stuffer, rather than the Kitchen Aide grinder attachement I have is surely in order, too. Along with whatever it takes to cold smoke and/or get more effective smoke at a lower temperature. Collectively, way more than the smoker itself cost, even with the 12 gauge extension cord.

For years I tried to stay off the Mess Hall Forum. I was afraid this would happen! Thanks for all the inspiration, Gentlemen.

8 inch, 10 inch, and 12 inch De Buyer Mineral B carbon steel pans on their way. Reading about the De Buyer pan performance here and then reading other reviews convinced me that these are superior to the non-stick coated aluminum pans I've been buying for years at restaurant supply stores.

Also, enjoying my beastly Dexter-Russell 8" Heavy-Duty Cleaver.

Top Bottom