What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I could not believe it when SWMBO said we needed another De Buyer pan. YES she has finally seen the light. She was using my De Buyer to cook something the other day and was amazed how non stick it was and it gave a nice crisp brown to what she was cooking.
Not to miss a beat I jumped in the car straight away and got another 24cm/ 9.5 Inch pan. I asked her before I went, if she wanted a crepe pan, she did not so just the frying pan it was. Got home and she was disappointed I had not got the crepe pan. So back I went and got the 24cm/9.5inch crepe pan as well.

I should have applied the B&B motto of get both in the first place. :lol:

View attachment 508775

Hey Chris, I'm looking at these too. Are you frying and/or scrambled eggs in them? Does the heat spread evenly?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Hey Chris, I'm looking at these too. Are you frying and/or scrambled eggs in them? Does the heat spread evenly?
Yes I fry and scramble eggs in them, in fact they are perfect for the job once seasoned. The Mrs has now stop using the teflon pan for eggs as well. Heat is spread evenly.
They have a few types of carbon steel for their pans, mine is the mineral B.
There was a old post that I just bumped for you to view, it may be of help.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
8", 9.5" and 11" pans ordered. I couldn't resist and my said we needed some, so I jumped online as quick as I could and ordered all three.

Thanks for the tip and backed by Costco, it's a no-risk purchase.

You are a terrible influence on me. You do know there is a crepe pan there as well? :devil:

You are a terrible influence on me. You do know there is a crepe pan there as well? :devil:
Yeah, I asked my wife if she wanted it, as we already have a decent one.

She said, if the pans work out as good as you say, we can add that one later. Costco has free shipping on them, no minimum.

So it still may be heading my way.

I just made a cheese omelette in my De Buyer 10 inch frying pan and even the cheese that escaped the omelette didn't stick, thats impressive. My question for some others who use them is what do you use them for other than eggs and steaks. Im too worried about the whole acidity thing to try out new recipes in them and reserve those for my stainless steel skillets

My question for some others who use them is what do you use them for other than eggs and steaks. Im too worried about the whole acidity thing to try out new recipes in them and reserve those for my stainless steel skillets

I hope to use mine for everything from ground beef to veggies to hasbrowns to perogies and gyoza.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The house was quiet for a bit so I did the first bit of seasoning on four DeBuyer pans. Pictured are the 11" and 8" black steel pans. Also purchased 9.5" and a crepe pan 8.75". Not the mineral pans but I'm happy. All four for $160 all in and delivered and backed by Costco and a lifetime guarantee from DeBuyer . . . I looked a some of the mineral pans last weekend . . . really not too different to me . . . but in the shop I was in maybe 4 to 5 times the price.

I'm looking forward to breaking these guys in.

$DeBuyer.jpg

Those look good Mike. You can't go wrong buying from Costco and can't wait to hear what you think of them after use.

I still don't know the difference between the Mineral and Steel. Not sure why, but I'm super excited to get these pans and hope they work out for all of us....

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The fry pan has been seasoned a few times now. The crepe pan the same and cooked a steak then some sausages. I think the crepe pan is ready for the egg test. Then it will be used for pancakes and crepes only.

$20141024_181022.jpg

Last edited:
The house was quiet for a bit so I did the first bit of seasoning on four DeBuyer pans. Pictured are the 11" and 8" black steel pans. Also purchased 9.5" and a crepe pan 8.75". Not the mineral pans but I'm happy. All four for $160 all in and delivered and backed by Costco and a lifetime guarantee from DeBuyer . . . I looked a some of the mineral pans last weekend . . . really not too different to me . . . but in the shop I was in maybe 4 to 5 times the price.

View attachment 510700

Only $160 for all four, I may just have to look into these a bit more, I saw the other thread, moving over there now!

Only $160 for all four, I may just have to look into these a bit more, I saw the other thread, moving over there now!
Costco.ca

I think my three came to about $140 or so shipped.

They don't have all sizes and looking at inventory, they are running low. Probably when gone, they'll be gone for good.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

View attachment 510700

Mike, what kind of oil did you use for the seasoning process?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Mike, what kind of oil did you use for the seasoning process?

Since I was doing it inside and all the pans at once I used safflower oil. I have been using flaxseed oil to maintain my cast iron but it smells kinda potent and I didn't want my wife to set me out by the garbage cans holding a tin cup with pencils.

I scrambled some eggs this morning . . . the pan was a bit too hot. 1) It uses the heat well 2) it really holds the heat . . . it is pretty close to being as heavy as cast iron. No sticking at all.

$DeBuyer eggs.jpg

The little green specks are chives I grow in front of the kitchen window.

I made some grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch in the same pan. I'm starting to get a nice brown glow on the pan.

My DeBuyers are waiting for me at work...in the meantime, I picked up a shallow, 6qt, 12" Lodge Dutch Oven, to join the big boys and all their Dutch Oven pics and threads.

It's the clawfoot one, to mainly be used camping but will see some backyard use as well.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1414284596948.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1414284596948.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 82
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1414284634728.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1414284634728.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 82

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Since I was doing it inside and all the pans at once I used safflower oil. I have been using flaxseed oil to maintain my cast iron but it smells kinda potent and I didn't want my wife to set me out by the garbage cans holding a tin cup with pencils.

I scrambled some eggs this morning . . . the pan was a bit too hot. 1) It uses the heat well 2) it really holds the heat . . . it is pretty close to being as heavy as cast iron. No sticking at all.

View attachment 511108

The little green specks are chives I grow in front of the kitchen window.

I made some grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch in the same pan. I'm starting to get a nice brown glow on the pan.

You'll have to relearn the heat control on those- once they heat up they can maintain it on a lower flame.

Made a double batch of blintzes today, about two dozen. Broke out the De Buyer crepe pan, purchase for $8 around 1990. The older they get the better they are.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Presactly. Based on the rule of . . . the answer to the universe and every thing 42 . . . or 72 . . .

Eventually I'll figure out the balance. I've not made a crepe in a very long time nor eaten one.

Can you share your blintze recipie?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
This is my De Buyer Mineral B that I bought mid May. The pan is now a nice and black.
Tonight I used it to fry some left over mash potatoes. The potatoes got a nice crust with no sticking.

$20141026_182841.jpg

Top Bottom