What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

$0710141137.jpg$0712141253.jpg
Tired of mixing like a turtle trying to keep the contents in the mixing bowl, I got a 13 quart heavy duty Vollrath 69130 stainless steel mixing bowl. I almost went with an 8 quart and was so glad I went with the 13 quart. Perfect size to mix 2 lbs of pasta and other ingredients for a tuna macaroni salad (pictured). The other pic to show it's size has a 8" Vollrath Tribute 69808 tri-ply ss fry pan inside which I wanted for my induction burner and works great.

that's a big bowl! I have a couple of heavy stainless bowls about half that size and they get so much use, I can't imagine not having them for the past decade or so.

-jim

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Seems I'm in good company.
View attachment 471849

The knife is a replica of a French peasant knife made from high carbon steel with a resin impregnated handle. At 12" total length with 6 3/4" of blade it is a very handy size for me and gets a lot of use. It is very easy to sharpen and for the most part a dozen or so strokes on a steel brings it back to very sharp. Here you see it with a bit of patina building. I've not treated this knife with kid gloves at all. The patina protects a bit but rust and stains happen quickly. I knock it off with a Scotchbrite pad.

$30 bucks at Lee Valley

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
For a year I drove past, mostly, their store in Weston Ontario on my way from and to work. Their selection is very much what their founder Leonard Lee is interested in or has specially developed. At least that is my take on it. Before my father-in-law passed my wife and I gave him a series of books for Christmas with "The Bull of the Woods" . . .newspaper Cartoons from the 20's 30's and 40's. I felt a bit guilty as he spent a lot of Christmas day ignoring us and laughing his fool head off.

A very very eclectic store and eclectic in a way that matched my eclecticism.

The knife is a replica of a French peasant knife made from high carbon steel with a resin impregnated handle. At 12" total length with 6 3/4" of blade it is a very handy size for me and gets a lot of use. It is very easy to sharpen and for the most part a dozen or so strokes on a steel brings it back to very sharp. Here you see it with a bit of patina building. I've not treated this knife with kid gloves at all. The patina protects a bit but rust and stains happen quickly. I knock it off with a Scotchbrite pad.

$30 bucks at Lee Valley

I like the look of that knife, too, and frequently use inexpensive high carbon steel knives I have had forever.

I had not heard of Lee Valley. Very cool web store it appears.

Every day I learn something new!

I had not heard of Lee Valley. Very cool web store it appears.

I'm lucky to have one in town and actually right across the street from my work so get to see all the items on display and handle them before purchasing.

They make some top quality woodworking tools, unique gift items and awesome kitchen gadgets and accessories.

They also stand behind their stuff with a generous return policy and timeframe.

i have found that rubbing bee's wax on high carbon blades when not in use, you can use without washing first because bee's wax does not taste or leave a mark on the knife blade and most important keep them from rusting

Just got a Zojirushi rice cooker. I haven't used it for rice yet, but I have used the timer function to make steel cut oats. Pretty nice to have them waiting right when we wake up. We got it to make dinners a bit easier since our two year old takes up so much time. So far, so good. Looking forward to using it more.

Ben

I was in need of a new paring knife, I got this set from Warther Cutlery in Ohio from my folks who live not far from their shop, I'm really happy with them so far. Nice sharp knives, sharpened for a lefty even.
$photo 1(10).jpg$photo 2(9).jpg

Nice knives oregoneon. I had two Warther paring knives for years, a house guest broke one and the other knife still looks nearly new.

Kettle-Q and some other small items showed up today.

I've been looking for the matching melamine Beef platter to go with my Pork and Chicken ones but they are discontinued....this one will do and will work for burgers and dogs too.

Kettle-Q is built like a tank and fits my Vision Ceramic perfectly, even on the top rack.

$uploadfromtaptalk1407360453574.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407360487878.jpg

Found a new in box Lodge Sportsman grill at a yard sale. 40 bucks. I paid 60 shipped for one last year and thought that was a deal.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407598427.201461.jpg

I use this one a couple times a week year round. Be nice to have a back up.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407598496.049108.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407598515.196991.jpg

Top Bottom