What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Thanks Chris! :001_smile

I'm not so sure about the killer pizza thing...

I'm having some scary visions of what's going to happen to my carefully topped pizzas when I try and move them from the peel to the steel. They ain't pretty! :scared:

I just knew that if this from scratch pizza thing was going to work at all, I'd need a peel and there's really no good place for one in my cupboards. :001_unsur

Looks good Connie, my is steel scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. How thick is the one you bought, i was looking at a couple from BakingSteel and they were up to a 1/2" thick, shipping to Canada would be a joke. Found a few other brands on Amazon.ca, free shipping went with one of those.

You'll have no problem turning out magnificent creations with whatever you decide to use to bake your pizza, no worries there!

Have seen peel use tips on here but can't remember whether it was the "Pizza Tips" thread or another.

dave

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I have been looking at baking steel for a couple years, I really like the new baking steel griddle. just not the price. http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/baking-steel-griddle-has-arrived.html

That looks pretty cool! ... but really heavy at 25 lb.

Looks good Connie, my is steel scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. How thick is the one you bought, i was looking at a couple from BakingSteel and they were up to a 1/2" thick, shipping to Canada would be a joke. Found a few other brands on Amazon.ca, free shipping went with one of those.

You'll have no problem turning out magnificent creations with whatever you decide to use to bake your pizza, no worries there!

Have seen peel use tips on here but can't remember whether it was the "Pizza Tips" thread or another.

dave

I got the .25" thick one from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/NerdChef-Stee...pizza steel&qid=1462061779&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

My husband and I talked about how thick to go with it. Two things finally decided it for me....

First, I have a 15 lb. cast iron griddle that came with my new induction range. While I really like it, that is plenty heavy enough to handle and use.

Second, the article from "Serious Eats" did their testing and comparisons to traditional pizza stones with a .25" thick, 15 lb. "Baking Steel". Since that already beat out the pizza stones in use, I decided that going thicker for me, and the use I would give it, would just be overkill.

I got a Dexter Russell boning knife and tool hangy thingy for the Weber

$File_000 (10).jpg

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Indeed we have some sharp minds at work here. The peach paper is / can be used in the BBQ for some low and slows on bigger pieces. At 700 feet the roll lasts a long time. One of the big advantages is that your bark does not get effected as much as it would with foil.

He's referring to what East coasters refer to as "The Canarsie Crutch".

I broke down and picked this up on Amazon tonight. It's hard to come by up here in Canada. So when I saw a gently used, tight spine, clean pages copy show up for $15 shipped....I took a chance.

proxy.php

Never seen that site Dave, but I'll have a look.

Nice to see your pizza steel show up. Can't wait to see what you can do with it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I broke down and picked this up on Amazon tonight. It's hard to come by up here in Canada. So when I saw a gently used, tight spine, clean pages copy show up for $15 shipped....I took a chance.

proxy.php

You remembered. I have this book...did I mention it? I've used quite a few recipes. Great home cooking and great for camping. The butter milk biscuits are great.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You remembered. I have this book...did I mention it? I've used quite a few recipes. Great home cooking and great for camping. The butter milk biscuits are great.
Yes, you've mentioned it a few times. I have to buy it the next time I am not buying poetry.

So after reading here about the wood magnetic knife holders I started looking at them on Amazon. I don't like our block under the cabinet because I have to slide it out to remove the knives so this seemed like a great idea.

The first one I got was this one Bamboo but I returned it before I put it up because I didn't like the hold on the bar as a whole....strong in some spots but weaker in others. Then I found this one in Walnut and it is perfect...I like the darker color to go with our cabinets and the hold is great from end to end. I didn't want to drill into the tile so I found some Scotch "Extreme" double sided tape and it worked great, I mean that thing doesn't budge...super strong hold.

$File_000 (13).jpg

Top Bottom