What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

And my Scorpion Forge Cris Anderson knife is complete (Though not shipped yet) 270mm Gyuto-Hiki. made from W2 (The NJ stuff note White 2 from Japan). super thin. The handle is what sets this guy off, this was made with a live edge chunk of buckeye burl, thats the part of the wood on the outer edges where the bark grows and the tree is "alive". thats why all the crazy cut outs and chunks are doing its thing. This was the first time Cris ever attempted this in a handle. He set it off with some reclaimed copper from his old school, and some 165 year old wrought iron from an old wagon wheel he had kicking around. He also made this gorgeous leather saya he hand stitched and tanned to look as rustic as the knife.

For those not familiar with Cris, he hand forges his knives from a single block of steel, these things are hand made from beginning to end. he began his life in the sharp and shiny stuff making Japanese swords and the like (You should see what happens to gear in his shop when he busts a sword out and goes a little to nuts and hits things lol)

This thing will be a monster, but a beautiful one.

$20150526_164110b.jpg$20150526_163454b.jpg$20150526_163808b.jpg$20150526_163944b.jpg$20150526_164850b.jpg

Its a shame the beauty Hamon line (The wavy part on the knife from the clay) didnt show up in these pictures as true as I have seen it... this thing really is top notch heel to tip

AISI W2 Aldo Bruno Steel
270mm Edge
49mm Heel
172g
Balanced about 1cm in front of heel

Handle is K&G Stabilized Live Edge Buckeye Burl
165yr old Wagon wheel wrought iron spacer with reclaimed copper liners

And one HUGE smile

wont be scraping this one of the curb to sharpen lol. thats it my knife collecting is done, and I think I did okay with my setup. this was one heck of a way to top it off

You got a thread showing the collection around here somewhere?

I don't even know what to say. It sounds amazing and looks even better.
Cris told me it cut him 3 times, before he even put a proper edge on it,... So im guessing it will be a great performer as well. I was so unsure about the handle when we began to talk about it, actually I picked a piece of wood, that turned out to be no good, so I picked another piece of wood, but before Cris began working on the handle he put some work into about 10 pieces to show what they would begin to look like and I switched at that moment (He makes youtube videos as he works so you can see and input at different times of the build) he got excited since he never has done a live edge handle before, and who was I to stand in the way, it was a beautiful hunk of chunk. He actually thought it was a second lemon when he first cut it down, but went ahead with it anyway, and we are both glad he did. Its unique, original, and beautiful, and the best part :001_tongu its mine lol

You got a thread showing the collection around here somewhere?
from top to bottom, Masakage Yuki Nakiri, Masakage Koishi 120 petty, Konosuke HD2 300mm Sujihiki, Dave Martell customized Hiromoto AS 240 Gyuto, Haburn knives 165mm Bunka
$11144072_10153280909967445_5530724567328894376_n.jpg

and the Dave Martel O-1 150mm petty
$11295540_10153313582937445_9189415466988366888_n.jpg

both of these are taking on top of my beautiful Boardsmith Mahogany end grain block

Maybe I should do a proper post on these guys

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
James, that knife is not to be used for snapping off bottle caps. What now? We need to see that bubbalicious beauty cut into some meat.

...a work of art for sure. Take care of her.

And my Scorpion Forge Cris Anderson knife is complete (Though not shipped yet) 270mm Gyuto-Hiki. made from W2 (The NJ stuff note White 2 from Japan). super thin. The handle is what sets this guy off, this was made with a live edge chunk of buckeye burl, thats the part of the wood on the outer edges where the bark grows and the tree is "alive". thats why all the crazy cut outs and chunks are doing its thing. This was the first time Cris ever attempted this in a handle. He set it off with some reclaimed copper from his old school, and some 165 year old wrought iron from an old wagon wheel he had kicking around. He also made this gorgeous leather saya he hand stitched and tanned to look as rustic as the knife.

For those not familiar with Cris, he hand forges his knives from a single block of steel, these things are hand made from beginning to end. he began his life in the sharp and shiny stuff making Japanese swords and the like (You should see what happens to gear in his shop when he busts a sword out and goes a little to nuts and hits things lol)

This thing will be a monster, but a beautiful one.

View attachment 574490View attachment 574486View attachment 574487View attachment 574489View attachment 574492

Its a shame the beauty Hamon line (The wavy part on the knife from the clay) didnt show up in these pictures as true as I have seen it... this thing really is top notch heel to tip

AISI W2 Aldo Bruno Steel
270mm Edge
49mm Heel
172g
Balanced about 1cm in front of heel

Handle is K&G Stabilized Live Edge Buckeye Burl
165yr old Wagon wheel wrought iron spacer with reclaimed copper liners

And one HUGE smile

This is the most stunning knife I've ever seen. Just a beautiful tool right there.

Top Bottom