What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Picked up a propane burner yesterday to use outside for canning tomatoes and pickles (and to use with the wok). Kitchen is hot enough without the extended boil of filled jars.

60,000 btu so gets the wok smoking hot in a flash.

Trial run maybe Monday.
dave

Monday trial run, one stir fry and two pots of canned tomatoes, seven jars of chunks, seven jars of sauce. Tomorrow another batch of sauce. So far really pleased, no steamy kitchen and the stir fry is done in a flash.
dave

Hi Aaron, Haven't tried to simmer with it but you can dial it way down with the provided regulator so it may prove quite versatile. Manual states no pots bigger then 66 liters, 18.8" wide x 16.5" tall. Sounds plenty big to me but then i haven't been to a Texas cook-off... yet.

The wok was great, i'm use to needing to wait for the temperature to catch up with each new addition to the wok, now even the sauce hit the bottom and was boiling immediately. Will have to adjust my methods to optimize all that heat.

Paella anyone? So far so good!

dave

My cast iron obsession has branched into aluminum. I picked up a Nordic Ware Waffle iron at the flea market this morning. My mom actually had one of these when I was a kid so I was pretty exited when I saw it. No after pics the outside still looks pretty bad, but the cooking surface looked pretty good and the wife was getting impatient. So I just scrubbed and heated it a few times to get all the loose stuff off, then filled it up. Now she's happy and we're both ready for a nap.

just ordered a Vollrath 1 1/2 qt saucepan. non stick interior. bought a 2 3/4 one three years ago at a restaurant supply and love it. it heats faster than any pan i have ever owned. tried them for this one and they wanted me to buy a box of 6. ugh found it on amazon 20 bucks cheaper. voila for Vollrath

No one stocking up fun and exciting stuff into the kitchen lately? I have some stuff recently acquired due to the housewarming I had a bit back, I'll get onto gathering some pics to post hopefully tomorrow.

Here's to wishing you all find great stuff under the tree this season to post pics of here.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
No one stocking up fun and exciting stuff into the kitchen lately? I have some stuff recently acquired due to the housewarming I had a bit back, I'll get onto gathering some pics to post hopefully tomorrow.

Here's to wishing you all find great stuff under the tree this season to post pics of here.

I've got a list working Dustin. I hope the wifie gives me a new wooden spoon. :laugh:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I've got a list working Dustin. I hope the wifie gives me a new wooden spoon. :laugh:

Have you broken your stirring spoon Aaron. :laugh:

I have my eyes on some new knives by a NZ maker Svord but have not pulled the trigger yet. I think I'll leave that till the New Year.

This carver may be the first. It's made from 15N20 carbon steel. They don't have a price on their site nor can I see it for sale anywhere else, so I need to do some back and forth e-mails before buying.......next year.

$Svord.jpg

I have my eyes on some new knives by a NZ maker Svord but have not pulled the trigger yet. I think I'll leave that till the New Year.

This carver may be the first. It's made from 15N20 carbon steel. They don't have a price on their site nor can I see it for sale anywhere else, so I need to do some back and forth e-mails before buying.......next year.

View attachment 708391

That is one of the most Bowie blade looking kitchen kitchen knives I think I have ever seen. Plus, it's gorgeous! I'm looking to expand my knife block over the next year or so as well, maybe starting with a nice Santoku blade in the 5" range.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That is one of the most Bowie blade looking kitchen kitchen knives I think I have ever seen. Plus, it's gorgeous! I'm looking to expand my knife block over the next year or so as well, maybe starting with a nice Santoku blade in the 5" range.

Yeah, I like the shape a lot.
If I thought I could convince the wife the Svord Von Tempsky 11" Bowie knife was just a big carving knife I would get that. I'm looking for excuses here. :w00t:

$svord-vtb-von-tempsky-bowie-11in-large.jpg

One smoker is covered the Ceramic gets used all year. We got a huge dump of snow this past week, about 15" in 24hrs. It went from shoes to Sorel's overnight.

My wife has Fiestaware serving pieces on her list, lots of kitchen and baking gadgets (most from Lee Valley) and new oven mitts. She had "new kitchen" on her list for 15y, so it's nice to just see accessories for once. :w00t:

I have a Pizza Steel on my list as well as a big metal pizza peel. I usually end up with a few BBQ accessories or gadgets.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nope, still working fine. :lol:

One smoker is covered the Ceramic gets used all year. We got a huge dump OS snow this past week, about 15" in 24hrs. It went from shoes to Sorel's overnight.

My wife has Fiestaware serving pieces on her list, lots of kitchen and baking gadgets (most from Lee Valley) and new oven mitts. She had "new kitchen" on her list for 15y, so it's nice to just see accessories for once. :w00t:

I have a Pizza Steel on my list as well as a big metal pizza peel. I usually end up with a few BBQ accessories or gadgets.

:lol:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

View attachment 708391

Yeah, I like the shape a lot.
If I thought I could convince the wife the Svord Von Tempsky 11" Bowie knife was just a big carving knife I would get that. I'm looking for excuses here. :w00t:

View attachment 708393

I'm scared of you now mate.

Top Bottom