What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, after a few months of cooking and such in my Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan, I thought I'd give a review.

It started out very good and slick. After a couple of weeks of use I noticed that things were sticking or gumming up. Also, cooking anything acidic like tomatoes or using lemon or lime juice will kill your seasoning. I bought some flax seed oil and used a method for seasoning. Place a few drops in the pan and coat entirely with a paper towel. Place on high heat until you see wisps of smoke. Take off heat, cool repeat. Now it's much better but not perfect. I love it.

Frittata came out just fine.
$IMG_2159.jpg

Well, after a few months of cooking and such in my Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan, I thought I'd give a review.

I bought some flax seed oil and used a method for seasoning. Place a few drops in the pan and coat entirely with a paper towel. Place on high heat until you see wisps of smoke. Take off heat, cool repeat. Now it's much better but not perfect. I love it.

Frittata came out just fine.
That's pretty much the same method I've been using for my cast iron. It's so much faster and doesn't heat the house up like the over does. After I get enough coats that I'm happy. I do a coat of olive oil then one of butter, seasoning salt and pepper, to get it smelling like a skillet instead of linseed oil.

Also that frittata looks better than just fine to me.:drool:

Nice pick up Aaron. Foodsavers are awesome tools.

When we pull out some last minute sausage, we place the whole bag in a pot of rolling water until it is thawed. Same for Pulled Pork. We thaw it first, then heat it right in the bag until super hot and ready to pull.

You're going to love it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That's pretty much the same method I've been using for my cast iron. It's so much faster and doesn't heat the house up like the over does. After I get enough coats that I'm happy. I do a coat of olive oil then one of butter, seasoning salt and pepper, to get it smelling like a skillet instead of linseed oil.

Also that frittata looks better than just fine to me.:drool:

Thank you Sir. There's a learning curve with them but I think it's a keeper.

Nice pick up Aaron. Foodsavers are awesome tools.

When we pull out some last minute sausage, we place the whole bag in a pot of rolling water until it is thawed. Same for Pulled Pork. We thaw it first, then heat it right in the bag until super hot and ready to pull.

You're going to love it.

I saw you do that a few weeks back with some big chunks of pulled pork and said that's exactly how I want to do that. Split it up into meal size portions. I tried some liquids which was a no-go. I then read the directions.:001_rolle It seems you need to freeze the liquids first then vacuum seal.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Good tool to save some bucks. I buy some larger portions of meat and do some cutting myself and freeze what I can't use right away. It is also great with cheese. If you have a bit of nice cheese you don't intend to consume quickly put it in a longish bit of bag. Use some and seal. Cut open as close to the end as you can . . . use a bit more and seal again and again and again.

I am a sucker for a kitchen gadget....and the newest addition is one of these.

I love eggs all ways, but poached may be my favorite....this may not be a true poach but in 7 minutes I have two perfectly cooked eggs and clean up takes less than a minute...add a piece of toast and me and my son are happy campers!! It also hard-boils 1/2 dozen in about 12-15 total...you poke a hole in them first and the shells really do just fall off. For $15 prime shipped from Amazon...for me this was a great buy!

https://goo.gl/rdIBFh

$egg2.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Picked up an aluminum fry pan from Vollrath. I see these being used in restaurant kitchens quite a bit. I want to see for myself. I have no clue as to any type of seasoning.

$IMG_2307[1].jpg$IMG_2308[1].jpg$IMG_2309[1].jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My Turkish pepper mill came in today. It's all brass. The crank is hard to turn but works wonderfully. It's a small little powerhouse. The grind is adjustable by losing the top two screws.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Top Bottom