What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

A big step closer to my vintner dream; scored a couple of crushers (this one set up with a 1/2hp Dayton motor), 5 carboys, and a #35 press! Got lucky, a friend hooked me up with a relative looking to downsize. :thumbup:
Tom

Awesome! I make my own on a much smaller scale. Waiting is the hardest part.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I couldn't find these great glasses anywhere here in Austin. So I just hopped on the Guinness website and ordered 2. Cheers:thumbup1:

$IMG_0845.jpg

Oh boy.....those are some nice Thermoworks toys.

Let us know how the "Time Stick" is. I've been tempted to get one a few times.

The real test is in how it lasts. But up front...

The Timestick Trio is easy & intuitive to use. Use the left buttons to select a timer and use the number pad, use the right buttons to start or stop the timer. The number blinks so you know which timer you're using when you use the number pad. There's also buttons on the face to clear (all), lock, and a 10-second backlight (easy to find by itself at the bottom). The front buttons are very hard to press with my fat fingers--it takes some good pressure and a finger just disspipates it. Much easier with a fingernail. If it holds up like this, it'll last a long, long time. That is to say, it seems to be designed to last, unlike the Polder which felt cheap to begin with. The beep isn't much louder than the Polder: both can be hard to hear if I'm watching TV in the living room and the timer's in the kitchen. That's why I got the extra loud timer, which is a bit louder on volume setting #2, and at #4 it's louder than my smoke detector. The Timestick Trio is really a portable timer, so the magnet is meant more to tack it to something while it's hanging from the lanyard--it'll droop a bit if you use the magnet to hang it on the fridge--better than most cheap timers, but not by much. It uses a watch style battery, and comes with one in the box.

There's no magnet issue with the two larger devices. The magnets on the thermapen & the "extra big and loud timer" are strong enough to secure the devices solidly to the refrigerator, which is where I keep them both. That's good because this timer's not designed specifically for portable use so it should stay put. The Thermapen... well... it's in a different class.

The smaller thermometer is the RT600C Super-Fast Pocket Thermometer. I love how the front has their brand name, website, and phone number, along with the temperature range in C & F, and that's all. It takes at least 6 seconds to get a reasonably close reading, but continues honing in beyond 10 seconds. Thermoworks lists it as 15 seconds. I bought it primarily for soup-type things & the dishwasher, neither of which require 3 second speed. It has mix & max functions, so you set it to max and stick it in the dishwasher to get the hottest temperature the dishwasher achieves. The removable cover fits on the back to extend the reach of the thermometer, making it easier to stick into a big pot of simmering soup and rely on the long handle to keep your hands clear of steam. It's waterfproof to 190F, which is great for a dishwasher, but might be less than ideal for simmering. I don't know what will happen if the water's nearer to 210F. It might be better to avoid submerging the device completely in your soup, just dipping the length of the probe. There's no magnet on the pocket thermometer.

Last edited:
Weber Smoky Mountain 18" smoker.. Yes... That IS still snow on my deck! Two weekends ago was a DELICIOUS pork shoulder smoked for 10 1/2" hours. Last weekend was chicken and ribs. The lower tier is full of ribs. Ribs smoked for 5 hours and the chicken for 3 1/2. OH BABY!!!
$IMG_1871.jpg
$IMG_1877.jpg
$IMG_1914.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I woke up this morning and found this nice little Birthday gift sitting in the kitchen:

Takayuki Damascus Hammered Santoku 180mm.
$IMG_0913.jpg

The wife gave it to me...thanks Babe (I gave her the idea).
$IMG_0914.jpg

I spit out my gulp of coffee when she said, "Oh no it's made in Japan."
$IMG_0915.jpg
Mahogany handle

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I woke up this morning and found this nice little Birthday gift sitting in the kitchen:

Takayuki Damascus Hammered Santoku 180mm.

The wife gave it to me...thanks Babe (I gave her the idea).

I spit out my gulp of coffee when she said, "Oh no it's made in Japan."

:lol:

Looks great, and VG-10 is great steel for cutlery.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
That is a beauty.

Repeat after me a new kitchen mantra, no knife with an edge will be put in a dishwasher, ever.

Has been a good week for Mess Hall acquisitions.

Picked up a Spätzle press, a bottle of Sriracha (wow!) and this recent order from USAFoods.

$IMG_0247.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom