What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415768229.271436.jpg

Weber One Touch Gold 22.5"

Grilled two days in a row, love it. Gas grill is in the repair shop!

You will find if you're anything like me that you won't cook on gas again!

Congrats on the pick up, well on your way skipping Kingsford and going to Royal Oak!

You will find if you're anything like me that you won't cook on gas again!

Congrats on the pick up, well on your way skipping Kingsford and going to Royal Oak!

Thanks, yeah, i started on charcoal back in the day and did it for a long time, i was gifted the gas grill when my kids were born for convenience and gifted my 55 gallon barrel smoker/grill to family. Bought myself a chimney starter as well, best purchase ever to speed things up. I got couple of other smokers and skewer dedicated grills on my list but they will have to wait and i am planning on enjoying this one for awhile first and learn the ins and outs of it.

Some new Henkels Clad pots. Getting reading to make the switch to Induction and our Paderno Fusion5 pots are not compatible.

We looked at a few and this set met our needs without too much filler (10pc, 3 pots/lids, 6 Qt stock/lid and 1 frypan/lid). Still looking for anything else that may be better suited and well priced. This set was just over $225 locally. We like the one piece construction (no welded on bottoms), riveted handles and these have a tapered edge for pouring...but I think most sers have the easy pour lips now.

Once the kitchen renovation starts, I may post up a thread with before and afters, along with progress. It is going to be a huge undertaking (paying to get it done) and will transform the entire cooking, eating and prep areas. It has been on my wife's Christmas List for 14 years and we will hopefully be able to finally cross it off this year.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1415845046836.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1415845046836.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Turns out that set of microwave safe dishes wasn't. Have long been wondering how they got so chipped. Was recently watching the microwave when a large chip exploded off the plate, ruining my dinner, and warranting a new set. Picked up a few other little toys during the trip. Correlle & Ecko.

$correlle-set.jpg

New knife. I've all but given up on my Global Chef's knife. My Henckel's Pro-S 8" and 10" Chefs' knives have heft, an edge that's easy to maintain, but they're not great to work with for extended sessions. I decided to go with the Bob Kramer-Zwilling Henckels 10" Chef's knife in carbon steel. Beautiful balance, weight, proportions, and ergonomics. I can't wait to prep meals at home with this sweet blade.

$image.jpg

Last edited:
New knife. I've all but given up on my Global Chef's knife. My Henckel's Pro-S 8" and 10" Chefs' knives have heft, an edge that's easy to maintain, but they're not great to work with for extended sessions. I decided to go with the Bob Kramer-Zwilling Henckels 10" Chef's knife in carbon steel. Beautiful balance, weight, proportions, and ergonomics. I can't wait to prep meals at home with this sweet blade.

View attachment 521803

Sweet! Enjoy it!

What's wrong with Global? I thought it was a good knife.

What's wrong with Global? I thought it was a good knife.

My global knives have a problem of the blade chipping. I treat the knives reasonably well. My biggest crime is occassionally using a bamboo cutting board. I sharpen them on the MinoSharp sharpening system that was designed for those knives. The weight of the chef's knife is a bit light for me and the handle is a bit small. The knives feel like they need to be babied. I'm just not that impressed with the three Globals I own; 8" chef's, 7" vegetable cleaver, and a 5 1/2" nakiri.

I know theymake heavier versions of the first two knives I listed, but I suppose I'm a bit disenchanted.

For Canadians, Future Shop has De Buyer pans back on sale (50% OFF).
I have almost the complete line of B Mineral pans, with only three missing, the large country pan, the 14" and their smallest.

I decided to get a spare 8" and 10" crepe pans. $25 for the 8" pan that will last for generations makes this line one of the best values on the market.

For Canadians, Future Shop has De Buyer pans back on sale (50% OFF).
I have almost the complete line of B Mineral pans, with only three missing, the large country pan, the 14" and their smallest.

I decided to get a spare 8" and 10" crepe pans. $25 for the 8" pan that will last for generations makes this line one of the best values on the market.

Great deal on those pans. We ended up with the Crepe from Costco for about $20. I am going to return the Paella and just purchased the 14" large pan for $20 less then the Paella :thumbup1:

On a side note, my Crepe pan does NOT have the riveted handle as in the pics, it's spot welded one (same as the Paella pan). My wife thinks it's probably better that way for the crepe anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom