What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

The CI fairies are shining on me. Following yesterday's Goodwill score, my mother come over for St. Patty's dinner and brought this with her: No. 8 dutch oven, no maker's marks. Will do some digging to find out more; fill me in if you have clues. It came from a thrift store and is in great shape. I can imagine somebody's granny taking care of it.

The last cutting board I should ever need....

It's an 18x24 inch board from the Boardsmith.

For size reference that's a 240mm gyuto.
proxy.php

The mess hall is looking good!

That kitchen is going to look nice when finished. Congrats and it is going to be a satisfied job well done when finished because you are doing it your self.

Wow, what a large space you got to work with! That is going to be a real joy to use when you get it done.

-jim

Thanks guys! I'll have a few more pics after tonites final coat of paint. Granite on Tuesday and the cherry Boos island top will ship out on 3/29 along with 3 cherry legs. Still have lots to do, but I should be able to do it with all the furniture back and the kitchen 100% functional.

All this talk of pizza is killing me. I've been addicted and working on my dough, sauce and pizza recipes for a few years now. I normally make pizza every Friday, and this will be the 4th consecutive Friday without it. I may be able to throw a load of dough together tomorrow for a Friday fix. One of my previous Mess Hall Aquisitions was an Electrolux DLX mainly for making dough. I can mix up over 11# at a time for pizza or bread and it doesn't break a sweat.

Here it is at work:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's the fruits of its labor:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Another previous aquisition (hope I'm not breaking any rules!)
Big Green Egg. What a great, versatile cooker. Fantastic ribs, pulled pork & beef, along with high temp grilled burgers, chicken, etc.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And, I built this wood fired pizza oven a few years ago. I was out of commision most of last summer after surgery after tearing my bicep, but this year will be a different story
proxy.php

Sorry, once I got started, I couldn't stop:blush:

The CI fairies are shining on me. Following yesterday's Goodwill score, my mother come over for St. Patty's dinner and brought this with her: No. 8 dutch oven, no maker's marks. Will do some digging to find out more; fill me in if you have clues. It came from a thrift store and is in great shape. I can imagine somebody's granny taking care of it.
Got one just like it from my Great Grandma.

I got one just like it.

The Easter Bunny used our tax return to get these (5-qt oval, 7.25-qt round):

Big enough for a double batch of vegan butternut squash chili:

Love the CI and Le Cruesets! The dutch ovens are so versatile.

Here's a few recent pics from the Mess Hall reno. Still have a good bit to do, but it's coming along.

New countertops and faucet:
proxy.php

Boos cherry island top installed last nite:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice! Do the overhead can lights put enough light onto the counters for working on? I can't decide if I want to do over head lights and under cabinet lights.

-jim

Nice! Do the overhead can lights put enough light onto the counters for working on? I can't decide if I want to do over head lights and under cabinet lights.

-jim
No such thing as too much light, as long as they can be switched independently.

The Kitchen looks great! I really like the new take on the traditional sink.

Thanks all! The lighting is pretty good, but I agree with above, you can't have too much. If you have the ability to do undercabinet, I'd recommend it. I don't have too many wall cabinets, so it wasn't an option for me.

Awesome kitchen. Some seriously jealousy-inducing stuff posted here lately, all around.

Nope! Can never have too much light.

I went to Home Depot and got some industrial fluorescents.

As Mike mentions below, this next part could be dangerous, so get some help if you need to before you try it.

Also hooked up a half-decent power strip under the cabinet, and an extension cord, secured along the bottom of the cabinets using screw-in L-hooks to get a second strip at the other end of the counter. It was cheap, anyway. I added some velcro ties to the main power cables to take up the slack from any appliances I plug in up there, like the coffee machine, roaster, etc. The velcro makes them easy to remove and keeps the counters free of excessive wires.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Awesome kitchen. Some seriously jealousy-inducing stuff posted here lately, all around.

Nope! Can never have too much light.

I went to Home Depot and got some industrial fluorescents. Also hooked up a half-decent power strip under the cabinet, and an extension cord, secured along the bottom of the cabinets using screw-in L-hooks to get a second strip at the other end of the counter. It was cheap, anyway. I added some velcro ties to the main power cables to take up the slack from any appliances I plug in up there, like the coffee machine, roaster, etc. The velcro makes them easy to remove and keeps the counters free of excessive wires.

Hey Steve. I may be misreading but be careful. Kitchen appliances can draw a lot of amps. Most kitchen outlets are separately wired top and bottom on separate breakers for this reason.

Hey Steve. I may be misreading but be careful. Kitchen appliances can draw a lot of amps. Most kitchen outlets are separately wired top and bottom on separate breakers for this reason.

Good safety catch!!! Cooking (which I believe includes these small kitchen appliances) is the number one cause of fires. (reference) so do be careful.

Which is why I have proper power strips with their own breaker. The serious appliances--microwave, toaster oven, mixer, etc--are on a Tripp-Lite Isotel. The under-counter rigging is mostly for smaller appliances--my Nesco roaster, water kettle, and coffee grinder--and I might plug in a small vacuum or a hand mixer. They do draw some nice current, though. The strip isn't as good as the Tripp-Lite, but it does have its own fast breaker rated well below the power line: 15A vs 20A. The extension cord is rated at 18A. (Actually, double checking this, I'm not sure but the power line might be 15A, but I did go through the exercise when setting it up.)

I've been an electronics hobbyist for years, so I have an idea how to set this up properly. Reconsidering now, I'm tempted to upgrade the little strip to something better.

Added a warning to my post. Thanks!

Last edited:
Boos cherry island top installed last nite
Nice! We're renters, but when we make the leap, my one sticking point is we'll need a big enough kitchen to have an island like this. It looks big enough to do some serious prep, but cozy enough to enjoy breakfast, coffee, and the sports page. Seriously good work.

All this talk of pizza is killing me. I've been addicted and working on my dough, sauce and pizza recipes for a few years now. I normally make pizza every Friday, and this will be the 4th consecutive Friday without it. I may be able to throw a load of dough together tomorrow for a Friday fix. One of my previous Mess Hall Aquisitions was an Electrolux DLX mainly for making dough. I can mix up over 11# at a time for pizza or bread and it doesn't break a sweat.

Here it is at work:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I bought an earlier version a Magic Mill DLX 9000 what a wonderful machine.

Top Bottom