What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Jim, I probably would have gotten a Gude if they were easier to find in the US, but the price in Euros and shipping just put them over the top. Someone on this forum suggested the F Dick knives and at first I had a hard time finding them, but they are a first class knife!

Jim, I probably would have gotten a Gude if they were easier to find in the US, but the price in Euros and shipping just put them over the top. Someone on this forum suggested the F Dick knives and at first I had a hard time finding them, but they are a first class knife!
I know you will really enjoy it! Dave posted a tutorial on how to sharpen a bread knife a while back.:thumbup:

proxy.php

A frying pan and griddle pan both in cast iron from B&M of all places, the pair cost me less than £10,

I've been meaning to pick up a Cast Iron pan. There is a recipe or method of cooking steaks with broiling and panfry the steaks which I really want to try out. Many recommend doing it with a Cast Iron pan.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yep . . . pan fry and broil. ER. . . a glass cutting board like that will dull your knives quickly. Just saying.

Whew. What a horrible last 6 weeks. I've spent them extricating myself from a recent business partnership/investment and haven't had much time or energy for B&B or anything else for that matter. End of the day, they caved and met all of my contingencies particularly the return of my capital investment. So, I celebrated with a bit of a buying spree: Emile Henry Baking Stone (going to use primarily for bread), Emile Henry Mortar and Pestle and an Epicurean Pizza/Bread peel.

$DSCN0780.JPG

$DSCN0779.JPG

$DSCN0782.JPG

Whew. What a horrible last 6 weeks. I've spent them extricating myself from a recent business partnership/investment and haven't had much time or energy for B&B or anything else for that matter. End of the day, they caved and met all of my contingencies particularly the return of my capital investment. So, I celebrated with a bit of a buying spree: Emile Henry Baking Stone (going to use primarily for bread), Emile Henry Mortar and Pestle and an Epicurean Pizza/Bread peel.

View attachment 235123

View attachment 235122

View attachment 235124

Looks like you will be busy Chris! Congratulations on your extrication.

nice pickups Sterling.. you have also turned ME to using this fine brand.. love their stuff

Last edited:
Thanks, Talal. I've been using the regular bakeware for a few years. Your recommendation with the flame line led me to go with the grilling/baking stone. I've made NY pizza on it so far, and it's going to do duty as a bread stone this weekend.

Picked this up a couple of hours ago. What appears to be an excellent condition Descoware long, slender au gratin for baking whole fish. I'd been eyeing the Le Creuset version of this, but this seems way cooler.

$$(KGrHqZ,!owE9d!5hkpQBPfOTTqoo!~~60_57.jpg
$$(KGrHqZHJEEE94gg)r+EBPfycV7hjw~~60_57.jpg
$$(KGrHqF,!mEE9QtlMn1HBPfOT(Pnjw~~60_57.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a few things this past couple of days. I've wanted a De Buyer Lyonnaise pan for a while, now I just need to figure out what I'm going to cook in it first.

proxy.php

This was a birthday present from the wife and kids.

proxy.php

A Griswold 4 quart fruit and lard press. It seems to be in excellent condition. All the screws and parts move freely. Some minor surface rust, primarily on the screw and the feet, that I'll need to take care of, but I should be fermenting hard cherry cider by Summer.

$DSCN0851.jpg
$DSCN0852.jpg

Top Bottom