What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

For years on weekday mornings, everyday, I eat McCann's Steel Cut Oatmeal mixed with a tablespoon of Almond Butter-this is my secret ingredient training to run marathons. I'll give the Lav-Vanilla a test "run"....

I'm the same way. I never add milk or cream to my oatmeal. Either some fruit (usually mango) or some lemon curd and that's it. Lavender-Vanilla Sugar will rock your world.

I need to buy a mortar and pestle, but I'm looking forward to grinding it down and using it in pate choux and sweet tart dough.

Last edited:
Mortar & pestle is the only way I've been able to grind cinnamon. It comes out a bit spongy, but it's workable. It's also a lot more consistent for most seeds than anything else I've tried. Caraway's the hardest I've found to powder. Try to get one with a nice long pestle. I have a small one meant for a pharmacy that cost about $10us. The pestle is hard to hold onto, especially with large hands. I also had to grind some rough spots down a bit with my dremel. It works great now, but is a bit awkward and tiresome if I have to grind a lot of stuff.

BTW, I'm so jealous... You can walk to The Spice House.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Mortar & pestle is the only way I've been able to grind cinnamon. It comes out a bit spongy, but it's workable. It's also a lot more consistent for most seeds than anything else I've tried. Caraway's the hardest I've found to powder. Try to get one with a nice long pestle. I have a small one meant for a pharmacy that cost about $10us. The pestle is hard to hold onto, especially with large hands. I also had to grind some rough spots down a bit with my dremel. It works great now, but is a bit awkward and tiresome if I have to grind a lot of stuff.

BTW, I'm so jealous... You can walk to The Spice House.

What's the matter? Can't find spices in New York? :crying:

I've done better at The Spice House than at Penzeys, which isn't even around anymore. I don't know anywhere to find almost everything fresh, and know too many places with those nasty sacks that sit forever.

proxy.php

A frying pan and griddle pan both in cast iron from B&M of all places, the pair cost me less than £10,

picked up some new Emile Henry bakeware today inspired by sterling :)

Small lasagna / veggie dish and a larger Roasting Pan of the new Flame Top edition. you can actually use this on your stove top .

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Who would have guessed that? Do they say why?

hmm found this info

"
The answer from the factory: the sealing process is derived from the boiling milk or rice, since rice brings other challenges to the mix, milk is the simple choice, because of the protein casein found in both.
Casein when heated acts as a micoscopic sealer. Don't know more than that.
Come to think of it, there are milk glazes in pottery. Maybe it's just something as traditional as a milk seasoning is just that.

"

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
It seems the ***** cat is anticipating the milk. These baking dishes/roasting pans look wonderful. Was it May West who said "I can avoid anything except temptation". Man oh man I am tempted.

It seems the ***** cat is anticipating the milk. These baking dishes/roasting pans look wonderful. Was it May West who said "I can avoid anything except temptation". Man oh man I am tempted.

lol @ that cat comment. she actually slept in the pan too!

A new obsession begins! (finally!)

$Sausage equip.jpg

LEM #22 1-hp grinder, TSM 5# stuffer, a couple hanks of casings, and a bunch of venison and wild boar!

Tom

Really exciting TJ! WOOOOOO!

There was a little Dutchman
Whose name was Dunderbeck.
Who specialized in sausages
And sauerkraut and spec.
He made the finest sausages
That ever you did see.
Till one day he invented
A sausage meat machine.

Oh Dunderbeck (2X)
How could you be so mean
To ever have invented
The sausage meat machine? (CHORUS)
Now all the rats and pussycats
They'll never more be seen.
They all turned into sausage meat
At Dunderbeck's machine.

One day a boy came walkin
A walkin in the store.
He bought a pound of sausages
And he laid them on the floor.
The boy began to whistle
And he whistled up a tune.
And soon the little sausages
Went dancin round the room. (Repeat Chorus)

One day the darn thing busted.
The problem was to know.
So Dunderbeck, he climbed inside
To see what made it so.
His wife she had a nightmare
And walkin in her sleep.
She gave the crank one heck of a yank
And Dunderbeck was meat. (Repeat Chorus)

Last edited:
So Dunderbeck, he climbed inside
To see what made it so.
His wife she had a nightmare
And walkin in her sleep.
She gave the crank one heck of a yank
And Dunderbeck was meat. (Repeat Chorus)

Ah, good advice (asleep or not), although ground up all together with the right spices can be so much better!

Tom

I have been looking at the Gude and the F Dick bread knives for a couple of years.
I got this bad boy on Amazon and I can tell you that it is much better to handle in person than you can imagine from the pics on Amazon.

proxy.php

Great knife Bob! I have a Gude on my wish list but that is a fantastic one as well. Perfect blade shape for slicing!

Top Bottom