What's new

Revolt now! English Fern quality should be preserved

The reformulation of English Fern shaving soap is coming. I sent Penhaligons' an e-mail stating that I hope that they get the new product right or I would cut out all product purchases from them and go elsewhere! I really think that our e-mails will at least send a message that some of us are serious about product integerity.

Here is the e-mail address for the US division.

[email protected]

I know that this may be "Tilting at windmills" but that has never stopped me before. I have often times gotten good responses, you never know. There are alot of us here, we need to flex out muscles!

Take Care,
Richard

[email protected]

Sent!

Hello,

I am a fan of your English fern shave soap. The old version with the tallow as the first ingredient. It has a lather that is rich, creamy, smooth and cushioney.

I shave with a cut throat straight razor, and as such, the quality of the shave soap I use is of utmost importance.

I have never found non-tallow soaps to be of the same performance as the ones that have it in spades. Tabac, Art of Shaving, Valobra shave stick. These are my top performers, along with your English Fern.

Please lead the way in preserving the venerable tallow first shave soap tradition. I can tell you there are many who would agree with me in that regards. Penhaligon's has some unique and wonderful scents in your shave soap, but if it doesn't have tallow as well, I will make due with another brand that does.

Kind regards,

I will gladly forward a copy of said email to the factory again...

This was the previous reply:

Thank you for your interest in Penhaligons and for your loyalty. We take our customer feedback very seriously and these comments have been passed to our new product development team.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards,
Penhaligon's By Request

From what I recall, the manufacturers make a few thousand shave soaps/pots of creams per run. I would imagine at this time they are well into the process of the new soap if it is to be released in September.

s~s

Sent a message this is my favorite soap. I'm afraid I might go into a nervous breakdown. (not really but I am pissed) oh and I didn't put this in themessage I sent.

Last edited:
I have fired off a missive to the afore said company politely expressing my indignation with their reformulation plans. I shall now sleep more soundly at night; although my morning shave experience may suffer.

So... is there any information as to why EF is being reformulated, and what the change will entail? I look forward to a shaver testing the new product for weeks on end (yes, weeks) in order to compare it faithfully against the old one. That would be an interesting evaluation. If it's just going to be ingredient list comparisons, then I'm not going to bother.

If the new formula is due in stores in September, I am sure they already have the new formulation waiting for distribution. Nonetheless, I sent an email expressing my polite displeasure.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (I used proper English in my email. I save my hillbilly talk for this forum. No offense meant to hillbillies :biggrin1:).

I emailed them after crap service at their Covent Garden store. They didn't have the decency to reply. Or rather, they are too arrogant to reply. They can shove their fancy soaps up their English arses.

Don't hold your breath. Pen's won't give a stuff. The aristocrats will keep buying and not know the difference.

And why bother when you can get a better shave out of Arko or Irisch Moos? Save your dosh and save it for their fragrances, not their soap.

Mr Rat is cross that Pen's staff don't care.

Last edited:
Sometimes a producer has little alternative.

Of course they have.

There is more authenticity and a better shave in a 3 euro stick of tallow Valobra than by shelling out £35 for a puck.

Mr Rat is going out for a drive to calm down.

Last edited:
Of course they have.
I am rather afraid you didn't understand why I responded the way I did. Of course the prices charged by Penhaligon's are ridiculous. But even in the admittedly ludicrous case that a business model creating a 500 to 1000% profit remains strong and viable, there are still other reasons why a producer may need to reformulate.

I can imagine that for some people the precise recipe of EF works best for them---but it sure as heck has little to do with its price tag.

I... Save your dosh and save it for their fragrances, not their soap.

Mr Rat is cross that Pen's staff don't care.

I personally will not buy their fragrances either. I will not do business with a company that is dishonest enough to tell me that the reformulated stuff is as good as the old. It may be, let's wait and see but if it is not I am done with them.

Take Care,
Richard

Top Bottom