What's new

Knives, For Cooking That Is

Go to a good hardware store and buy you a set of Old Hickory Carbon Steel Knives and you will be set. I am using 3 such knives that belonged to my Grandma. They are over 50 years old.

I bought a Shun 7" Santuko and 3.5" paring knife with stainless steel handles

http://www.kershawknives.com/searchresults.php?search_by=category&search_value=23&brand=shun

The only two knives I use anymore.

+a million on the Shun Santoku knife. I've used Henckels and other luxury European knives and IMO they're not even in the same category. Not even on the same planet as the Shun.

That Japanese cutlery site has some seriously sweet knives on it. Must. Resist. Going. To. That. Site.

Go to a good hardware store and buy you a set of Old Hickory Carbon Steel Knives and you will be set. I am using 3 such knives that belonged to my Grandma. They are over 50 years old.

I think the newer ones aren't as good. The ones I got didn't even have an edge on them.. Fortunately I have a grinder and know how to use it:biggrin:

They do work very well when one has put an edge on them and the price is extremely low.

Sverre

I'm a Chef, and I've tried different knives, from the lightweight and nice looking globals, to bendi Japanese.
But what I carry around with me, are my Henckels, After 12 years of heavy use, I still use them, and haven't wear at all.
I met another chef, who uses Globals, he's are so worn that sometimes is hard to do a Julienne (strips of whatever) with.

Henckels are heavy, and some don't like this, but that's a must for me. As the head on a razor, I use my knives weight, considering sometimes I'll be chopping, dicing, etc. For hours.

Top Bottom