What's new

Knives, For Cooking That Is

While I've never used them, I've never trusted them; they are reportedly very brittle. For example, I use the flat side of the blade to crush garlic, can ceramic do that without breaking? I don't know. Also, no sharpness lasts forever; how can you sharpen something that's harder than you're sharpenning tool?

For the past 12+ years, I've used knifemerchant.com for knives, pans, and other kitchen supplies. Its owned and operated by a couple chefs, and they'll help in choosing. Their prices are good, too.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
One thing to keep in mind is that despite the vociferously opinionated replies a thread like this will generate, there is more than one way to skin a cat. If I had never discovered Japanese knives, I would have been perfectly happy using my drawer full of Henckels, which served me well for close to two decades. It was not until I tried the thinner, harder, and sharper gyutos that I had any complaint whatsoever with my German knives. Now they feel like shovels, but not everyone is going to go off the deep end with knives. Find something you like, learn how to use and maintain them, and you'll do just fine.

chicago cutlery is one of the worst brands one can buy. I still cant sharpen mine to even be decent. My Japanese knives can shave on the other hand.

I don't think the Chicago Cutlery of today is what it once was. IIRC, my light research showed current production is in China, and the vintage stuff was made in the USA and pretty state of the art at the time.

That's not a gyuto. That's a wa-gyuto.

Fair enough, but I thought it best to refer to it the same way the maker does, so from Watanabe:

Kuro-uchi Gyuto knife Blade: 180mm
Total length: 320mm Width: 45mm Thickness: taper spine 3.5 - 1.5mm
Limited 10 pieces in every months

Double bevel, Blade: Yasuki blue steel core with stainless outer, Handle: burnt chestnut wood

I see no one has suggested ceramic knives. Any reason?

While I've never used them, I've never trusted them; they are reportedly very brittle. For example, I use the flat side of the blade to crush garlic, can ceramic do that without breaking? I don't know. Also, no sharpness lasts forever; how can you sharpen something that's harder than you're sharpenning tool?

Brittle, yes.
Expensive, yes.
Sharpening needs to be done by the factory (in the case of kyocera, you ship the knife to their facility)
Also rarely mentioned is Ceramic's heat conductivity. Lay a blade on a hot burner, and nearly instantaneously, the handle may start to melt.
Ceramic also does not cut nearly as well as steel, it does stay sharp longer, but the level of sharp is about 6 notches below stainless, and about 20 below carbon steel.

One thing to keep in mind is that despite the vociferously opinionated replies a thread like this will generate, there is more than one way to skin a cat. If I had never discovered Japanese knives, I would have been perfectly happy using my drawer full of Henckels, which served me well for close to two decades. It was not until I tried the thinner, harder, and sharper gyutos that I had any complaint whatsoever with my German knives. Now they feel like shovels, but not everyone is going to go off the deep end with knives. Find something you like, learn how to use and maintain them, and you'll do just fine.

+1
Japanese knives, are superior in nearly all aspects of cutting.
The only thing that they lack, is durability when cleaving bone.
My ideal setup is Global knives for everything, with a Henkles of Wusthof 10" chefs for the brutal chopping work.

ouch

Fair enough, but I thought it best to refer to it the same way the maker does, so from Watanabe:

Kuro-uchi Gyuto knife Blade: 180mm
Total length: 320mm Width: 45mm Thickness: taper spine 3.5 - 1.5mm
Limited 10 pieces in every months

Double bevel, Blade: Yasuki blue steel core with stainless outer, Handle: burnt chestnut wood

I was just kidding.

I should also mention that you've got yourself one helluva blade there.:001_tt1:

I have an assortment of Dexter knives I've had since 1977 (my high school restaurant cooking days). I also have an inexpensive "block" set of Chicago Cutlery that are "decent" and I use for convenience, but never for "precision" cutting. The best knife you can have is the one that you can sharpen and use effectively.

Randy

The knives you asked people their opinion on are garbage. If you buy Henckels than you have to at least buy the Zwilling J.A Henckels (the ones with two men on them) made in Germany. The ones with only one guy on it are made in China and you'll be throwing your money in the garbage.

Do yourself a favor and look into Japanese knives. Some people mentioned Shun and Global. Both are great, but they can be costly. If money is no object than I think you'll love those brands.

Otherwise, a few people mentioned Korin (www.korin.com). Look at the western style knives. They have expensive knives and very reasonably priced ones. If you're in NY you should visit their store. They're very helpful and knowledgeable and you can try out the knives. They also have a japanese knife master sharpening knives which is cool to watch. I've gotten some great Japanese knives from them. Definitely worth a look. Once you try Japanese knives you'll stay with them. All professional cooks I know swear by the edge of Japanese knives and I'm an avid cook and I wouldn't use anything else anymore.

I think a knife block is a waste of money. Buy your knives individually that way you really get what you want. I love buying knives the way some people love to buy razors on this forum. I'd recommend a chefs knife, a paring knife, carving knife and a bread knife.

Best value chef's knife:

http://korin.com/Tojiro-DP-Gyutou?sc=7&category=17368

Works as well as my shun but cost me a lot less money.

Last edited:

ouch

Otherwise, a few people mentioned Korin (www.korin.com). Look at the western style knives. They have expensive knives and very reasonably priced ones. If you're in NY you should visit their store. They're very helpful and knowledgeable and you can try out the knives. They also have a japanese knife master sharpening knives which is cool to watch.

He's also an accomplshed master of gangsta rap.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFH2LKZ4sQ[/YOUTUBE]

It's a shame the Tojiros have doubled in price. They're still very good value, but the folks who bought them at the original prices are looking pretty smart now.

I don't think the Chicago Cutlery of today is what it once was. IIRC, my light research showed current production is in China, and the vintage stuff was made in the USA and pretty state of the art at the time.

well that is another thing, however stores sell only made in China ones. For the uneducated there is no such thing as once-made-in-USA Chicago Cutlery.
Forshner is a cheap and very good alternative imo.

+1 on getting the real Henkels.
Avoid like the plague Henkels International.
I have a set of pairing knives from them, and they do take a wicked edge.
However the edge deteriorates quickly.

And while we are on the subject of knives, one cannot fail to mention the ying to their yang the cutting board.

If you have a glass or granite one, get rid of it. Plastic or wood are your best options. Cook's Illustrated says bamboo or composite is good too.

My main board is a large end-grain deal that gives me room to work and is nice to my knives. The only real drawback is it's a pain to clean.

ouch

And while we are on the subject of knives, one cannot fail to mention the ying to their yang the cutting board.

If you have a glass or granite one, get rid of it. Plastic or wood are your best options. Cook's Illustrated says bamboo or composite is good too.

My main board is a large end-grain deal that gives me room to work and is nice to my knives. The only real drawback is it's a pain to clean.

Bamboo is pretty hard on knives. A good end grain board is the holy grail to most, but cleaning wood isn't fun.

I find the SaniTuff boards to be a great combination of hygiene, ease of cleaning, knife friendliness, and decades long durability.

I know nothing about knives but I recently bought some Cutco knives. A colleague of mine told me his son was home from college for the summer and was working for Cutco selling knives and asked me if he could set up an appointment with me at my home.

His son appeared at the appointed hour, did a very nice presentation of Cutco's wares and I purchased several items. They seem to be very nice and I am happy with them.

Not up to Jay's standard but they can cut through a loaf of Italian bread like nobody's business. :wink: :biggrin:

Congratulations on your purchase, and I'm sure the young man appreciated your business. Cutco doesn't get a lot of love, though I know of no one who owns them and uses them who has anything negative to say. I can tell you for certain they are durable knives and usable knives. I purchased my set from a friend in 1973. Other than a paring knife, which somehow managed to misplace itself after being replaced by Cutco after the tip was broken; all of the set is intact and still looking good. The handle, as you will remember the spiel, is very comfortable and solid even with wet hands. I don't have a leftie to confirm that it is truly an ambidextrous friendly design.

Did you get the Spatula/Spreader? Quite a unique little tool. With the loss of the Paring knive, the Wife's favorite is the Petite Slicer. She thinks she can do anything with that knive. :smile:

You mention the Bread knife. As you say it can deal with the softest of breads w/o "smushing".

I will say that they are not value priced, but base on their longevity, the have turned out to be quite affordable. Is there still a lifetime guarantee?

+1 on Forschner/Victorinox. All we have, and they ARE workhorses. Not to say I won't buy a Shun someday, but for the money these are the best. We bring them to a guy to sharpen them, and every single time, he admires them and talks about their value. Good luck.

Is that a litteral translation?!? DAMN, I've been using a girl's knife?:ohmy:

Actually, I don't think I'd buy the santoku shape again. Coming from a chef's style a couple of years ago, I think I prefer that shape. The sharper point seems to provide a little more precision for me.

I like my Santoku, but it would never take the place of a chef's knife. It is nice for slicing though.

Dave

+1
Japanese knives, are superior in nearly all aspects of cutting.
The only thing that they lack, is durability when cleaving bone.
My ideal setup is Global knives for everything, with a Henkles of Wusthof 10" chefs for the brutal chopping work.

I seem to only use two knives, my global 10" chefs and 3.5" pairing knife. I cook all the time, but never seem to reach for anything else.

I'll say +1 to global, but like I'm sure a trillion people said already; you have to find knives that FEEL good to you.

Top Bottom