What's new

Kiehl's Shaving cream

I tried a sample of the Kiehl's blue eagle brushless cream! I also have a sample of the green eagle that i am saving for when i travel.

WOW - great close shave. and makes your face cool!

anyone tried it?

I've used it in the past. It's not bad, as far as brushless creams go. I think it is far inferior to a good quality cream from one of the 3 T's.

Sorry if I sound curmudgeonly, but I've tried enough brushless creams to know that I never need to try another one again. They just don't do it for me.

I used all Kiehl's and Zirh brushless shave creams and gels for many years until I discovered a badger brush. Eventhough, I thought they were the best brushless creams, their not on the same planet when comparing them to a good brush and soap/cream.

I've recently become a Kiehl's fan for travel purposes after my recent trip to Vegas and getting some samples there. The scent doesn't do a lot for me, but I got great shaves with it. Traveling, I usually get horrible shaves, so Kiehl's is a keeper for me. One benefit for me is that Kiehl's can be used waterless; that's great for me since I have trouble keeping my beard hydrated when not able to shave in the shower.

I haven't tried the Kiehl's in quite a while, but have used the brushless Cremo Cream a few times recently just to mix things up a little, and while it's not preferred over the standard creams and soaps because it can be slightly drying, it does allow for a close, comfortable shave. I do have to use a lot of water, continually wetting my hand and rubbing it over my face after the cream has been applied. It does provide a slick surface when it's got enough water in it. And it sort of stays on your face and hand, so you can just keep wetting your hand and applying more cream with what is already there.

I started to say I use the Cremo when I'm rushed, but honestly, how much longer does it really take to whip up some lather and then rinse the brush afterward? Maybe a couple of minutes at most. Cremo is not about the time savings, it's just about the variety. I'll have to give the Kiehl's another try.

:cool:

I recently tried Kiehl's Lite Flite Shave Cream for the Brush, out of curiosity when I was out of my usual cream. The cream did not face lather well, in spite of active brush work with my Simpson Chubby Super Badger. I then read the directions. They read "Before applying, soften brush bristles with hot water. Using fingertips, apply a dollop of cream at center of brushhead and hold upright under warm running water for 3 seconds. Apply to damp skin and beard in circular motions until the desired lather and thickness is attained. (For fuller lather, add more warm water to brush.)..."

Well, I thought I would try it their way. After three seconds under warm water the brush was charged with so much water that I managed to cover the sink, mirror and my chest with small spots of weak foam... and still did not get a great lather. How adding more water would help is beyond me.

I usually use Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream Unscented on the center of a brush prepared with hot water and shaken to shed the extra water. I face lather, getting great lather and great shaves with this, every time.

Although the Kiehl's camphor, menthol and lavender extracts are a little heavy on the camphor, it smells OK. I'm just too new at this to figure out how to get great lather using their way or my way.

The blurb on the jar says "This unique formulation combines the emollient feel of a brushless shave cream with the smoothness of a brush shave folmula..." If anyone knows how to use this odd duck of a cream, let me know.

I'm just too new at this to figure out how to get great lather using their way or my way.

Frankly, their way sounds nuts. Using that method, I would have expected the exact results you got - insane amounts of useless suds. Any good cream I can think of would react the same way. Even though you may be new to this, if you're getting good results face lathering with T&H UC, it sounds like you've got a pretty good technique going. Trust yourself. It could well be the quality of the Kiehl's that is the culprit. I've rarely heard good things said about their shaving creams, except by those who like brushless creams.

Top Bottom